Sunny
Total Time = 34m
Overall Rank = 2/6
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

signed up and went out for a warm up
Event warmup:

Three laps around course, checked out the corners.
Bike
  • 34m
  • 20 kms
  • 35.29 km/hr
Comments:

So I was super nervous on my way out there, as I barely made it there in time to sign up and get my stuff together. so once I got to the line I was a little nervous. They got the girls together and we went first. Apparently this is not the way that they usually do it.

So there were six girls, Jen, Marsha, Gloria, Myself, Girl in all Yellow and Ann. So we started off and right off the bat I'm on the outside of a double pace line. I'm kinda stupid that way. Jen and Marsha out front. Then we switched off. We did three laps of a pace line and generally being quite clam about it all. Gloria didn't seem to want to be onthe wheel in front of her, and so I was a bit nervous to be behind her because the risk of falling off was greater.

Anyway, So around and around we went, and then I was up front pulling and jen pulls out and goes ahead. I had all the girlson my wheel (i think) and I didn't know what to do, I knew that I proabably couldn't stay with jen if she was going all out. And I also knew that if I lead the cahse, I would bring all the girls with me and then Jen would be in the pack again. (really at the time I had no thought process, I was like, OH! there goes Jen, I dunno what to do) So anyway she got away. And then the five of us did another two laps together until the prime lap. I don't know why they told us it was a prime, not like jen wouldn't get it. But anywhoo, so I thought that it might be posible that the prime was for us as well as Jen. So I was going to sprint anyway.

So the girl in all yellow was behind marsha, and stayed on her wheel, then she came out beside. I was on her wheel for a little bit, then I pulled out beside her. She saw me with about 50 meters to go and stood up. I stayed seated and sprinted, I crossed in front of her. Then I just kept going. And everyone was behind me and I was leading. Went around the next two corners and I slow down to get onm a wheel and I hear this "lets keep going" And I looked behind and only Ann was with me, yellow girl, marsh and gloria were all about 20 meters back. So I told ann to giver, and held onto her, then we switched off back and forth. I was so excited!

One lap and they were all about 1 block behind and then we maintained out pace of pulling each other. It was good times.

Ann And I tradded drafting for the rest of the race. We saw jen a couple times but we were never catching up to her before the end of the race. So Ann and I drafted and then with about 400 meters to go, I had pulled last, and then I didn't get on her wheel again. I started to go faster and faster, and I never saw her come up to me, so I just peddaled until I crossed the line, and I was goign 40+/km/h. And then it was over!

SO fun, I'm glad I had a good first criterium.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up for a little longer.
Post race
Warm down:

went on a 10km slow ride around richmond

Last updated: 2007-05-11 12:00 AM
Biking
00:34:00 | 20 kms | 35.29 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 2/6
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 12 laps of the course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-11 12:12 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:

2007-05-11 2:00 PM
in reply to: #797251

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Subject: RE: Team Coastal Challenge
Sounds like a rush!
2007-05-11 4:06 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

You were so awesome. Way better than me in my first crit. I'm pretty sure I got dropped. Come out on Tuesday.

I was totally confused about what to do with that break too. I actually didn't mean to make a break there. I know I was talking about it, but I didn't want to do it with 9 laps to go. I was just planning on pulling through and then I looked back and everyone was behind a bit. I was going to slow down and wait and then I thought, wait a minute, this is my break, I'd better go.

Anyway, this is YOUR race report. Enough about me. It is really cool that you and Anne got that gap. Nice work. I'm really proud of you.

2007-05-12 9:58 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-05-13 1:53 PM

Houston, TX
that sounds like it was loads of fun, glad i read this.  i could feel your excitement, good job and goor RR!
2007-05-14 4:24 PM

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Hey did you lap Gloria? That was an excellent first crit. Coming out tomorrow?

2007-05-15 12:12 AM

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Way to go on your first crit!! Sounds like you had a good time.
2007-05-15 5:28 AM

Champion
MA

Congrats on your first Crit!!

Sounds like so much more strategy than a tri where you race your own race. I can't wait to try my first this summer.

Nice work~ 

2007-05-16 2:18 PM

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Nice work out there. Congrats on getting rid of some of your goals!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Team Coastal Challenge Rss Feed