General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It finally happened-I crashed during a ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-12 12:56 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: It finally happened-I crashed during a ride

This one was my own fault.  I've been riding bikes on the road since I was 13, and you'd think I'd know better.  Training ride today, started pouring rain about 20 minutes into it.  My buddy that was going to ride with me decided he'd rather not ride in the rain, so he turned around.  Planned route was 43-44 miles.  So, I soldiered on solo.  I got to about the halfway point, and the bottom fell out.  Raining hard.  So, I pulled under the canopy of a gas station, and had a Gel Blok snack.  Rain eased up, and I defogged my glasses, and headed back out.  I got about 200 feet down a newly-paved, newly-striped road when I swerved ever so slightly right to avoid debris in the road.  You guessed it; front tire, meet white line, in the aerobars at about 20mph.  Before I could even finish the word SHI$!, I was on the ground, hard, sliding across the pavement (fortunately very wet pavement).  All I could think of was "MY NEW BIKE!!!"  Of course, fortunately, there was no traffic behind me, for I was sprawled across the lane for about 5 seconds.  I immediately jumped up, grabbed my bike, and the two water bottles that were rolling across the road, and headed for a wide spot of asphalt on the side of the road, to collect everything.

Damage to the bike: scratched left brake lever at top and bottom, BOTH bar end shifters (how'd I do that?), left rear bottle cage ever so slightly, slightly turned seat to the right (which I fixed immediately), and the front brake was dragging a tad (not sure why, but it was resolved), and a light scuff on the rear skewer.  Not a scratch on the frame, no bent wheels, no broken spokes. 

Damage to me: nice strawberry on the left thigh, below the left knee, and no hair on my elbow.  Plus, an eentsy-weentsy scratch on the left side of my helmet.  So, this is ultimately a pro-helmet post!  I was wearing Pearl Izumi shorts that held up to this fall without tearing.

As I was halfway through my ride, and already soaking wet, yet having a good time regardless, I decided to press on with the rest of the route.  The bike checked out fine, I felt okay (feel like I've been run over now though), and it is one of my favorite routes.  So, finished it up, got it home, and cleaned up the damage to me and the bike.

Lessons learned:

1) Ride the "B" bike on rainy days (the Giant instead of the Felt)

2) Never, NEVER touch a painted line in the wet, not even for a second.

3) Listen to the little voice in my head that says "Should you really go ride today?"

4) ALWAYS wear your helmet.  ALWAYS.

2007-05-12 1:17 PM
in reply to: #798150

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: It finally happened-I crashed during a ride

Wow! Glad to hear your bike is okay! (LOL - and glad to hear you're doing well too .) That's great you pressed on and continued with the ride.

Good advice, especially for those newer to riders who aren't familiar with the white line in rainy conditions thing. I would also add that it helps to ride with your tire pressure a little lower than usual.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

2007-05-12 1:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Vacaville, Ca
Now every time you go by that place... you'll have something to think about!
2007-05-12 3:46 PM

Toronto
Thank god you're okay. I had an incident last week that left me with two fractured ribs and a cracked pelvic bone.

I'm still racing my half marathon tomorrow, providing I can breathe. My doc has given me the all clear to race providing I can tolerate the pain...

Hopefully you're not too worse-for-wear, and that your next race isn't too soon. Tomorrow is gonna HURT, for you and me, but for different reasons!
2007-05-12 6:00 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Glad you and the bike are OK.  I sm a real wuss when it comes to riding in the rain.  Take it easy, you'l proabably hurt a bit more tomorrow
2007-05-12 6:40 PM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
WOW...great story and I am glad you (and the new bike) are okay. A few lessons learned - thanks for sharing with the rest of us. I have a new bike and have turned into a REAL wimp when it comes to riding on rainy/wet mornings. Good advice about taking the old bike...thanks!

2007-05-12 7:29 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago, IL

aww, I'm sorry   It sounds like it was quite the wipeout!  It's good you are okay.

However, I'm unclear as to what made you fall.  I don't ride on the roads much except for invitationals... but what do you mean "front tire mean white line" and then later you mention never touch a painted line in the wet"... just curious so I know what to avoid.

and again, sorry... but glad you are okay

2007-05-12 9:24 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Glad you and your bike is mostly okay.

Crap I ride in the rain...maybe I'll take my Tarmac out instead of Kuota or listen to your advice and avoid white lines/don't go. 

2007-05-13 5:42 AM
in reply to: #798314

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
pigfinn - 2007-05-12 8:29 PM

aww, I'm sorry   It sounds like it was quite the wipeout!  It's good you are okay.

However, I'm unclear as to what made you fall.  I don't ride on the roads much except for invitationals... but what do you mean "front tire mean white line" and then later you mention never touch a painted line in the wet"... just curious so I know what to avoid.

and again, sorry... but glad you are okay

Sorry, I didn't clarify the cause of the fall.  Imagine you're walking/running across your carpet in sock feet.  Now step on your hardwood or tile floor.  Change in friction causes you to slip.  Same thing applies on the road in the wet.  You go from fairly "sticky" asphalt to very slick painted lines, which are wet, and you get a very fast loss of traction/friction.  It's more pronounced on a tribike, as you're already in a weight-forward position, moreso than a roadbike.  I was on my tribike, and like I mentioned, it was over before I could finish an expletive.  If you're going to touch a line in the wet, DO NOT use your front brake either.  And don't try to correct your course if you're on a line. 

And of course, my next race (my first olympic) is in 3 weeks.  However, I'm getting back on the horse that threw me yesterday with a 1750 swim and 25mi. bike today (Mother's Day )

2007-05-13 6:52 AM
in reply to: #798314

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
pigfinn - 2007-05-12 7:29 PM

White lines, when wet, are slick as glass. As a matter of fact, glass beads are added to the white line material to increase its retro-reflectivity. Imagine trying to cycle on a wet sheet of glass and you'll get an idea what it's like to hit one of these lines in the rain.

2007-05-13 8:16 AM

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Stay safe Bill! Good luck at Bandit's!

2007-05-13 8:20 AM
in reply to: #798523

User image

Elite
Chicago, IL
[Sorry, I didn't clarify the cause of the fall.  Imagine you're walking/running across your carpet in sock feet.  Now step on your hardwood or tile floor.  Change in friction causes you to slip.  Same thing applies on the road in the wet.  You go from fairly "sticky" asphalt to very slick painted lines, which are wet, and you get a very fast loss of traction/friction.  It's more pronounced on a tribike, as you're already in a weight-forward position, moreso than a roadbike.  I was on my tribike, and like I mentioned, it was over before I could finish an expletive.  If you're going to touch a line in the wet, DO NOT use your front brake either.  And don't try to correct your course if you're on a line. 

And of course, my next race (my first olympic) is in 3 weeks.  However, I'm getting back on the horse that threw me yesterday with a 1750 swim and 25mi. bike today (Mother's Day )

wow, that's interesting.. thanks, I will know now to avoid those lines, yikes!!

Good for you for getting back out there .... and good luck on your first OLY!!

Edited by pigfinn 2007-05-13 8:22 AM
2007-05-13 8:21 AM
in reply to: #798535

User image

Elite
Chicago, IL

the bear - 2007-05-13 6:52 AM
pigfinn - 2007-05-12 7:29 PM

White lines, when wet, are slick as glass. As a matter of fact, glass beads are added to the white line material to increase its retro-reflectivity. Imagine trying to cycle on a wet sheet of glass and you'll get an idea what it's like to hit one of these lines in the rain.

wow!, never knew that... I'm sure this adds to alot of motorcycle accidents in the rain too I would guess, yikes!!  Yes I will avoid them if I see them in the rain! thank you

2007-05-13 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Woodstock
I had my first crash yesterday too, flew over the aerobars about 20 mph and landed hard, scraped up, bruises, chipped tooth, busted lip, and cracked helmet- which could very well have been my head. I never thought I would be in any danger on this ride, but it happened. So please wear your helmets- It saved my noggin yesterday.
2007-05-13 3:48 PM

Veteran
Lutz, Florida

About a year ago, I never wore my helmet on training rides.  Then one day, I had it in the truck and just decided to put it on.  I was on a 70 mile ride to the middle of nowhere and was zoned so far out that the road turned and I did not.  I hit the soft shoulder and endo'd at 20 MPH.  Cracked my helmet and was a bloody mess for the rest of the ride.  I am sure that the flipping was fairly spectacular as I ended up a good 15 feet from my bike when the dust settled. 

The moral is to always wear your helmet on days that you are going to crash. 

2007-05-13 7:44 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Glad to hear that you are okay.  A crash like that can be scary.

You probably already intended to, but I wanted to remind you anyway to replace your helmet.  Even if all you see is a scratch, the helmet can have internal damage that isn't immediately visible.  If you have a Bell or another brand with a similar replacement program, you can send back the crashed one and get another for a reasonable fee.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It finally happened-I crashed during a ride Rss Feed