United States
The Lake Oswego Junior Women's Club, and Lake Oswego Parks and Recreation
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 30m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The night before the race my wife and I met up with two other couples and gorged ourselves on the most delicious pizza I have ever had. After four huge pieces of 'zza and two tasty beers, I put myself to bed fairly early (10:30 PM).

I woke up at about 4 AM to have big bowl of cereal and went back to bed. At 6:15 AM, the coffee pot screamed my name and I was out the door by 7:15.
Event warmup:

The only warmup was flapping my jaws with my friends before we meandered to the start line.
Run
  • 56m 23s
  • 7.46 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to finish in less than 1 hour...so I am pleased. Having never run this course, nor any race of this distance, I cannot be upset with an average mile time of 7:30. My mile times were consistent, showing that I still had a tad bit left in the tank.
What would you do differently?:

I have no idea why I decided to run the flatest mile of the race (mile 4) at an 8:30 pace. Maybe I was just happy to not be running straight up hill. Either way, I would like to eliminate that random mid-race shutdown and just keep cruising.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged to my car to get my Hammer Recoverite drink while wolfing down a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Four ginormous pieces of pizza the night before, plus a dash of anxiety.

Last updated: 2007-05-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:56:23 | 07.46 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Heart rate bounced around in Z4 (160 BPMish) for most of the race. I would attribute my higher HR due to my anxiety over this being my longest race I have ever run and the brutally hilly course.
Course: The course is a 7.46 mile (12km) road course winding around Lake Oswego. I do not have the total vertical footage of the course, but the hills are nasty. The first 3 miles are marked by consistent climbing, while miles 4-6 are still hilly but not as aggressive. The final 1.5 mile include a rough climb (due to the aggregate damage done by the previous inclines) followed by a speedy downhill finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes