Tri California
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 37m 4s
Overall Rank = 1107/1966
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 37/93
Pre-race routine:

Drove out to CA in a gipsy caravan with fellow BTers - DickDime, Juliapurr, and SergeantVik. Hung out at the expo on Fri. It was really fun. The scale of this event is just amazing.
We screwed up big time on the food. Didn't really bring much with us except for snack food for the drive. The fridge in our camper didn't work so all the perishable food went bad. The roads were closed and we couldn't get out of the park. The food at the expo really sucked, so we definitely didn't fuel well for the race.
Got everything ready for the race in the morning and went to sleep about 9-9:30. Apparently there were parties going on and sirens going off through the night, but I didn't hear any of it and slept really well.
Got up at 5:30, had oj, granola and yogurt for breakfast. Really missed the usual cup of coffee before the race. Packed the rest of the stuff and went to the boat shuttle. It was a fun ride to the transition on the lake.
Event warmup:

I was under impression that everybody had to be out of transition at 8, so I rushed to get my transition are organized, went to the bathroom, put sunscreen on and my wet suit on half way and was ready to go by 8. To my surprise, a lot of girls in my age groop were just showing up. (The transition spots were assigned and grouped by AG.) Our wave didn't start till 9:10 and apparently, the rule about closing transition was not enforced.
I just hung out, watched the elites start, went to the bathroom again, chatted with Rachel, our friend from Denver who also raced. Finally it was getting closer to 9 so I went over to the swim start, warmed up right before our wave start and waited for the gun to go off.
I was really glad that I did an open water swim the day before, otherwise I would be much more freaked out I think.
Swim
  • 50m 20s
  • 1950 meters
  • 02m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

Start was very crowded. I made sure to go into the water at the back of the pack but still people were swimming over me and running into me. Not very pleasant for the first 100m. Swam pretty comfortable the whole time, just took it easy and tried to be effiecient and streamlined. The critical mass of the next wave cought up to me around half way and started swimming over me too. I had to catch my breath, look around ang try to get out of the main path. I had to do that a few times throught the swim and I think that in the end my path in the water weaved quite a bit because of that, but I didn't go majorly off track like I did in Boulder Peak last year. I was definitely feeling a little fatigued towards the end of the swim and couldn't wait for it to be over - not enough long swims...
What would you do differently?:

Everything if I could - like swim faster and more :)
Transition 1
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

Not a speedy transition. Had hard time with taking wet suit off my heels, also just had to catch my breath from swimming and almost puked from trying to swallow a cliff block.

Practice transition more
Bike
  • 3h 36m 1s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.55 mile/hr
Comments:

Man, I suck on the hills! Even after all the lookout mountain rides... I don't know why :(
First hill was Ok though, didn't go out too hard because I knew there were still 50 miles ahead, but I wasn't getting passed left and right like I was on the last hill. Once we got to the flats - I was good - just got in my aero position and started passing a lot of people who passed me on the uphill.
It was super windy the whole way with some strong gusts. I almost lost control a couple times because I got thrown around by the wind so much.
When we got to the last hill, I was getting passed like I was standing still. I dropped to my granny gear (which I haven't done in about a year and just got through it) But I definitely lost a lot of time on it. I think part of the problem was that I borrowed Dime's wheels for this ride and the highest gear on the back on them is not as hight as mine. So it was tougher to go up the steep grade than what I am used to and that's why I had to switch to my granny gear. After we reached the summit of the big hill I thought it was goingt to be a piece of cake for the last 10 miles. But it was so windy in the canyon I saw some single digit speeds even on that last stretch.

Not go to granny's gear and push harder on the hills and through the winds. Have more long rides under my belt before signing up for my next 1/2 IM
Transition 2
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

Overall was moving pretty fast. My stomach was so cramped in my bike shorts I had running shorts in my transition bag and I couldn't resist my tempatation to change in them. Just did it right in the transition area - I've got no shame :) Felt much better after that.

Move a little faster
Run
  • 2h 04m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

First 1.5 miles had major stomach issues. After a poter potty stop I felt much better :) Then I was pretty speedy till about mile 8. I was steady on the hills, flying on the downhills, pretty happy with myself actually. At mile 8 I passed this 40yr old lady who was looking sort of chuncky, but I guess she was just really strong and she decided to catch me which she did. We ran together for about a mile and then I really started slowing down, she just kept on going. I couldn't stomach any more gu's or gatorade on the run and I just drank water at most aid stations. I think I just ran out of energy. Climbing up last hill I did an 11 minute mile. I just wanted this to be over with. Last down hill mile was kind of nice though :) Got to catch a few folks on it at least.

keep eating on the run
Post race
Warm down:

drank a lot of water and beer and ate some ice cream. just hung out in the grass for a little bit and then caught a VIP ride home on one of the medical trucks since Dime was injured.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not enough training in biking and swimming, not eating on the run

Event comments:

Great event! Beautiful area, tough courses, but it was fun! I would come back next year!

Last updated: 2007-05-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:50:20 | 1950 meters | 02m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 87/93
Overall: 1761/1966
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full
Course: Loop
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:36:01 | 56 miles | 15.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 40/93
Overall: 1309/1966
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: A tough course with major hills in the first 10 miles and then from mile 40 to 46. Nice flat stretches in between. Really beautiful views the whole way.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:04:27 | 13.1 miles | 09m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/93
Overall: 733/1966
Course: hilly hilly hilly
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-12 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Subject: Wild Flower Long Course

2007-05-13 9:44 AM
in reply to: #798362

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: RE: Wild Flower Long Course
Nice race report - although I think you are being a little hard on yourself... You've been busting balls on your thesis this year, not tri training and that is what limited your performance. I'm in awe that you went out and did such a brutal HIM without the proper training. You did awesome. Well, your swim sucked! But hey, 6 people in your age group sucked worse! LOL

Your next tri is going to be so easy after this! Plus, once you have the time to properly train... the a$$ whoopin' will commence!
2007-05-13 10:02 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Sounds like you had a great time out there

I agree your being a bit hard on yourself. It would be tough to find a more difficult race than this and you finished strong with a smile on your face. (Your run time does not suggest a fade at the end)

My cousin is also in your AG and described a particularly tough race this year with the wind and dry conditions. (She finished right about the same time as you)

Outstanding first effort. Your times will definitely get a lot quicker in future races. I bet you would really tear up the course at IMCal 70.3 in Oceanside
2007-05-13 11:25 AM
in reply to: #798607

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

DickDime - 2007-05-13 8:44 AM  Well, your swim sucked! But hey, 6 people in your age group sucked worse! LOL Your next tri is going to be so easy after this! Plus, once you have the time to properly train... the a$$ whoopin' will commence!

LOL, you two are a pair!  I love the "gypsy caravan."  That is exactly what you all were   You did awesome Lilia! 

2007-05-13 11:33 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Great job on the tough race! I'm amazed at how well you did despite all the factors going in. You are one tough chica and I know you'll continue to kick a** this whole season! Congrats!
2007-05-13 5:09 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
Nice work Lil!!  Way to tough it out in conditions that were certainly less than perfect.  Keep training and I agree - everything else will seem like a BREEZE after that course

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wild Flower Long Course Rss Feed