General Discussion Race Reports! » West Yellowstone Spring Cycle Tour Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

West Yellowstone Spring Cycle Tour - CycleTour

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
West Yellowstone, Montana
United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 37m
Overall Rank = 25/150
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am and helped Lee get out the door with the girls for their soccer game all the way up in Missoula. Left the house at 6am with a cup of coffee. Ate a tahini butter and banana toasted sandwich around 7am. Loved the drive down to West Yellowstone. You actually drive through part of Yellowstone National Park on this drive and because it was so early I was the only one on the road. A bunch of bison passed in front of me just before West Yellowstone.
Event warmup:

Talking and drinking coffee...chatting with my friend Amy. I must have pee'd four times.
Bike
  • 3h 37m
  • 65 miles
  • 17.97 mile/hr
Comments:

Amy and I chatted the entire way, mostly riding side by side except when the wind was really rough we took turns pulling. This is a very mellow ride and most of the group stuck fairly close together. We leap froged with different groups. Saw my boss's husband, Ron a few times. Just a relaxed atmosphere. Everyone was out there for a beautiful ride on a beautiful day. I was surprised that Amy and I finished with the very front of the pack as we really were just doing it for fun.
What would you do differently?:

The last 10 miles were intense on my quads. Next time I would actually ride my road bike outside before this event. But, even with that I rode it one hour faster than the last time I did it over three years ago. I think that speaks highly of the triathlon training and the 15 pound weight loss.
Post race
Warm down:

Changed out of our bike clothes and walked across the street to this killer LBS called the Free Heel and Wheel. Its a telemark shop in the winter and is run by all women. They have awesome outdoor gear and a coffee shop. Then we went to Ernie's deli and got the best sandwiches. I took Amy back to where her family was camping and then just headed home on my own. I really thought that I would be sore today, but I am not at all.

Event comments:

At the rest stops they had peanut M &M's, gummy bears, mixed nuts, red bull, gatorade, bananas, oranges, cookies. It was really awesome. The girls at the bike shop asked us how we liked the snacks, and we told her that we loved the gummy bears...she was the one that suggested them!
Took 20 minutes off of this total time for our stops so I could get a more accurate guestimate of mph..

Last updated: 2007-05-08 12:00 AM
Biking
03:37:00 | 65 miles | 17.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/150
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: You head out of West Yellowstone over Targhee Pass. Then you head North toward Ennis, Montana over Raynolds Pass. Top elevation of both these passes is around 8500 feet, so the climb is about 3000 feet for each one. The downhills are a blast too. After Raynolds, you head back toward the East past Quake Lake and Hebgen Lake. Beautiful aspen tree forests and lots of climbing hills. The last section you head straight south toward West Yellowstone again. For some reason this stretch has HEADWIND every time. And its such a downer as its the last 8 miles of the ride when you are feeling a little whipped.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right