General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Fort Yargo State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - Fort Yargo State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Winder, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 26m 39s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45, loaded the car and headed to the race site
Event warmup:

Got in the water about 15 minutes before the race start and did a little bit of swimming and got use to the water. Tried to keep warm while waiting for the start standing in the water.
Swim
  • 14m 31s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Huge Improvement here!!! I actually swam in an event. I started the swim and tried to stay in the back in because I anticipated another open water freak out. Start of the swim and felt really comfortable and noticed I was in the middle of a lot of people so I just kept swiming. When I looked up I was at the first turn bouy which I rounded right on it. Kept swimming what I thought was in a straight line but when I look up to site I was basically right on the canoe at the half way point. I decided to grab on to get my direction and then headed off, I was only on for about 5 seconds and realized I was doing well in the swim. Got to the final turn bouy and there was a lot of traffic and I ended up grabbing on to a canoe there to collect myself and head in. Got out of the Water and looked at my watch, 12:30!!!!! I didn't have a freak out and had a good time in the water. Offical swim time includes a very long run to transition. We came out of the water and ran about 75 yards on sand to a small hill and up to transition. I got out of the water and was able to run to the top of the hill but had to walk a little bit to collect myself.
What would you do differently?:

I was very pleased with this swim, it was my first OWS that I didn't have a freak out and swam in an event instead of struggling to get from Bouy to boat and hanging on for my life.
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Got to transition and got a drink and put on my shoes and helmet. Ran with the bike to the mount line and mounted my bike, had a little trouble clipping in but that was because I found out after the race that I had broken a clip on my right shoe. Overall T1 was good. Transition after first leg of Run back to the bike was timed at 1:06, threw off my running shoes and put on my bike shoes on over my socks. Had a GU and some GU2O during T3. Had some trouble clipping in here also. Need to work on mounting the bike on the run too. Didn't velcro my left shoe strap completely and had to slow down on the exit to fix it.

Pretty happy with Transition under 2 minutes.
Bike
  • 44m 5s
  • 12.8 miles
  • 17.42 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike portion was split into two sections.
First Leg of Bike: 21:31
Second Leg of Bike: 22:34

Had some hills on the course which I wasn't expecting, but overall had a good time on the bike. Forgot to check my air pressure in my tires pre-race so I was worried I was running on low pressure. Also, kept hearing a clicking on my right side which I later attributed to the broken clip. Passed a few people while climbing a hill but was retaken at the top when I was spent and slowed down. Second leg of the bike was a lot more enjoyable since I new were the hilles wher and what to expect. Legs were a little tired from the run before the second leg of the race and started off a little slow and picked up the speed at about mile 4 of the second leg of the race. Checked my speed on a downhill and was having a great time flying down the hills with no fear. Pushed it on the last hill and into transition on the second leg of the race.

Do some hill repeats during training to get use to hills. Also, practice dismounting on the go so I don't have to come to a complete stop to dismount.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Was able to get my bike shoes off quickly and putting on my socks and shoes good. Drank a little water and started the run. T4 from 2nd bike leg to 2nd run was 0:57. Just took off my bike shoes and helment and threw on my running shoes. Race belt was already on so I just turned it around. Finished off my water bottle of GU20.

Pretty happy with the time here.
Run
  • 23m 38s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run. Broken into two sections:
Run 1: 12:07
Run 2: 11:31
Started off the first leg strong but ended up having to walk two of the hills. Enjoyed the trail run but wasn't expecting it. It was good on my legs and knees with the less impact and I kept reminding myself that part of FL 70.3 is on trails too. Had a water station right at the exit of transition and also at about the 1.2 mile marker. Second leg of the run was great, ran the entire way and passed a few people. Ran hard up the final large hill up to the finish line.

Learn how to drink out of a cup while running. Have to stop and walk while I drink.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and got some water and some fruit. Times where posted and this was the first time I was actually excited to see how I did on the swim.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only thing I can think of that may have slowed me down a bit was the couple of times I walked on the run and also the time spent mounting and dismounting my bike. Overall I am very pleased with this race.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race. Was glad I was able to get into the water and practice swim prior to the race start. I am very pleased that I overcame my fear of OWS and was able to do the swim in great time and pass a few people in my wave and not be one of the last people out of the water. I was worried about this race being so close to FL 70.3 but I am very glad I did it because it gave me the confidence boost that I needed for the Swim. I learned that I need to get in the water prior to the start and get use to it and become comfortable prior to the gun going off. Last Sprint I did a few weeks ago I came in Last in my Age group, huge improvement here coming in 5 out of 15.

Last updated: 2007-01-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:31 | 656 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Triangular course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:18
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:05 | 12.8 miles | 17.42 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: Two 6.4 mile out and back sections. Course had some hills which I wasn't expecting. Volunteers where shouting great encouragement and indicating the turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:38 | 03.1 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Course: Mostly a trial run with a few hills and a big hill up transition and the finish. Two 1.6 mile runs seperated by bike leg 2.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-13 7:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Tri the Parks - Fort Yargo State Park

2007-05-14 9:17 AM
in reply to: #798920

User image

Expert
Michiana
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Fort Yargo State Park
Great race this weekend!  Way to nail the swim!
2007-05-14 11:15 AM
in reply to: #798920

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Fort Yargo State Park
Great race! I'm glad the swim went so well for you. Congrats. You should do really well in Florida now that you're getting better with open water!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Fort Yargo State Park Rss Feed