WA Marathon Club
20C / 68F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 12m 6s
Overall Rank = 182/200
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6am. Ate some porridge. Took the dog for a quick toilet walk to the local park.
Event warmup:

Jogged for about 5 mins and stretched.
Run
  • 1h 12m 6s
  • 10 kms
  • 07m 13s  min/km
Comments:

Well I did it, my first 10km race! It was reeeally hard!!! I ran most of the way, had to stop a few times and walk but I only allowed myself 15 secs maximum each time before I started running (or was that shuffling?) again :) I had various niggles along the way, like a stitch in my tummy, then my left shoulder blade, then my right shoulderblade, then my hips hurt, and then I felt like spewing. It really wasn't fun!!!! There was another slow-poke girl that I played cat and mouse with all the way, and then she passed me again about 500m from the finish. I surprised myself by putting on a big turn of speed and managed to pass her again just before the end! I was feeling very negative during the whole race but then I felt a really good sense of achievement once I'd actually finished it. When I got home I had some princess tears (to borrow Mel's term!) to my husband about what a crap runner I am but then I rallied & got over it! Just got to keep at it :)

Oh and guess what I'm on the WAMC website. Its a very unflattering photo and I look really pissed off but I'll add it anyway! :)

I'm not sure of my rank as the official results have not been posted as yet. I'm pretty sure its second last, although there were some girls that were walking all the way so maybe its 5th last! I'm assuming I have the correct time as well, its just what the clock said as I passed the finishing line. I'll update this RR later in the week with more accurate details :)

What would you do differently?:

Improve fitness so I can do this distance comfortably. My wildest dream would be to complete it in less than an hour. Maybe one day :)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, stretched. Drove to Leederville to pick up hubby. He'd cycled down to see me finish but was stuck with TWO flat tyres! I think the tyre gremlins really have invaded our house. Thats like 5 flats between us in a week!!! :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness. Definitely. Does running ever become fun?

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-05-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:12:06 | 10 kms | 07m 13s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/200
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat circle loop around the swam river.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-13 8:29 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: Women's Classic

2007-05-13 9:47 PM
in reply to: #799020

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Women's Classic
Awesome job - the best part about your first one is that it is your PB and gives you somthing  to aim for next time. You did awesome....  
2007-05-13 11:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Reading your report takes me back to my first 10km!!
All the pain, but no one can take away from the fact that you just ran your first 10km!!!
You should feel proud congratulations!
2007-05-14 7:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Whoo hoo!!!! How cool!  Your first 10k!  I don't think an hour is a "wild" dream!  You aren't that far away!      Just give it time and patience!
2007-05-14 7:09 AM

Perth

Fantastic effert, beating those little voices in your head that say walk, my shoulder hurts etc etc is just about the hardest part in my opinion...and you did it...

Keep up the training and you will reach your goals...

well done

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Women's Classic Rss Feed