United States
FIRM Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 53m 38s
Overall Rank = 159/399
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 6/16
Pre-race routine:

Since I knew that I would not be starting right at 8:00 (staggered pool start), I got there a little later than I did last year. But I was able to find a parking spot right next to the transition area. Waited in a short line to pick up my packet, then another short line for body marking. Once I got my transition area set up, I walked over to where the exit from the swim was, and did a slow-speed walkthrough of T1. Around that same time I ran into Joanne (tri_again) and then my friend Kevin showed up, who I am racing with next weekend.
Event warmup:

As the race started, Kevin and I went in to the pool area to watch the folks at the front of the field swim, then went outside to watch T1. When it was close to my turn, I went inside and jumped into line.
Swim
  • 07m
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

My plan had been to try and swim a 1:50 pace and check my pace every 100 yards. Then, after the first 200 yards I would pick up the pace if I felt good. Well, that plan was thrown out when I checked my pace and realized that I had swam the first 100 in 1:35! So, I just kept hammering as hard as I could while trying to stay smooth in the water. I only had to pass two people and did not get passed myself, so things went really well.
What would you do differently?:

The only issue I noticed (and this was pretty minor) was that because I was swimming a bit faster than usual, my stroke count was off and I ended up coasting a little too far at the end of each lap. In retrospect, I could have probably squeezed in one more stroke and swam right up to the wall.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

T1 involved climbing 4-5 stairs out of the pool, then running outside and down the sidewalk (over a timing mat) to the transition area. On my way out the door I took off my cap and goggles, but I must have mis-judged it because I smacked my upper arm on the side of the doorway on my way out. I also dropped my cap, but decide to leave it and just keep running. My wife (who had come with the kids to watch) and my friend Kevin both saw me drop my cap, so Kevin grabbed it and put it in my transition bucket after I finished T1.

I had a bit of trouble getting my wet feet into my bike shoes, so I need to work on that some more. Other than that, T1 went pretty well.
Bike
  • 21m 45s
  • 7 miles
  • 19.31 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride went very well. Because I still wear mountain bike shoes (Sidi Dominator) with recessed (SPD) cleats, I was able to run through the transition area really well. I mounted the bike pretty quickly and got a good start. At first I was pretty cold, but once I dried off a bit I warmed up quickly.

The road conditions on the bike section were good, and I felt really strong on the bike, riding almost the entire course on the big chainring (which I usually don't do). There were a few gentle downhills, during which I was down on the aero bars and hammering away at close to 30mph! I can't really remember ever being so comfortable going so fast on the bike before. I probably passed 15-20 riders, but did not get passed myself.

I need to practice drinking from my aero bottle more, since during the race I did not drink quite as much as I would have liked to.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Good transition, pretty smooth. I almost passed another rider in the transition chute, but then realized that if I did I would have missed the timing mat. So, I was delayed by 1-2 seconds getting into T2.

I was apprehensive about jumping off the bike in bare feet onto the asphalt, so I slowed down a little more than I would have liked to. I guess I just need a little more practice.

I also had some trouble getting my feet (which were still a little wet) into my running shoes, so I need to work on that some more.
Run
  • 22m 1s
  • 2.3 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

When I first started the run my legs felt like lead, and I was starting to beat myself up for having pushed so hard on the swim and bike segments. After about 5-8 minutes though, they started to loosen up. I was feeling pretty tired by this point, but I kept telling myself "just keep your legs moving" over and over. It felt a little weird running without music, so I started chanting to myself something I had read the other day - "I am fast, I am strong, I can race all day long". Before I knew it, I was closing in on the finish line and was done. A bunch of people had passed me on the run, but thankfully not as many as I passed and not nearly as many as last year!

Since I did not bring any fluids with me on the run and I have a hard time gulping down water at the aid stations while still running, I should have had more to drink on the bike or in T2. For my next race, I will may try running with my Amphipod belt.
Post race
Warm down:

My wife and kids found me right after I finished, so we grabbed a quick picture and then they came over to the transition area with me to help pack up. I did not stick around because I had to get home and get ready for a Mothers' Day lunch at my Mom's house.

Event comments:

Overall it was a great race, and I'm really pleased with how I did. I have a few small things to work on, but other than that things went really well. I was amazed how much faster I was this year compared to last year, so I was really happy about that as well.

Last updated: 2006-12-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:00 | 400 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/16
Overall: 126/399
Performance: Good
Suit: Tyr tri shorts and tri top
Course: 8-lane pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:42
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:21:45 | 07 miles | 19.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 73/399
Wind: Little
Course: Simple 3-sided course, two loops on main roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:01 | 02.3 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/16
Overall: 305/399
Course: Nice, flat course through winding neighborhood.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-13 10:02 PM

User image

Expert
Framingham, MA
Subject: Sudbury Spring Sprint

2007-05-14 1:05 AM
in reply to: #799095

User image

St Petersburg, Florida
Subject: RE: Sudbury Spring Sprint

Well done!  Another notch on your .... bike rack? post? another one under your belt

Yes, feet and shoes seems to be a thing for me too.. Vasiline is going to be incorporated into my transition.. 

2007-05-14 7:00 AM

Champion

Nice effort...good to get the first race of the year under your belt!

2007-05-14 7:22 AM

User image

Pro
MA

Damn you are FAST!  You keep passing people and not get passed.  Ha.  Wish I could say that. 

I'd say take some time to dry off your feet at T1.  I had the same problem yesterday. 

2007-05-14 7:35 AM
in reply to: #799255

User image

Expert
Framingham, MA
Celeb_ithil - 2007-05-14 8:22 AM

Damn you are FAST!  You keep passing people and not get passed. 

Well, what I did not say in my original report was that a bunch of people passed me on the run, but thankfully not as many as I had passed! 

Edited by swadland 2007-05-14 7:40 AM
2007-05-14 8:00 AM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma
Way to go!  I'm still waiting for the official results, as I forgot to shut off my watch at the end.   It was nice seeing you yesterday

2007-05-15 5:49 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Super Race!

Great to see amazing improvement almost 10 minutes in a year ...you rocked it!

Can't wait to see you Sunday...well you'll be way in front of me as you swim much faster.

Edited by KathyG 2007-05-15 5:49 AM
2007-05-15 9:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA
Nice job!  You're speedy!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sudbury Spring Sprint Rss Feed