Sommer Sports
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 20m 20s
Overall Rank = 293/1175
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 75/203
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at the Boardwalk Beach Hotel, and was literally feet from transition. Umm.. let me say, that was great. Anyway, Transition opened at 4:30 am. This was just over two hours before race start for me. I ate a bowl of Apple and Cinnemon microwave Oatmeal, and drank some water. Nutrition was my biggest downfall last year for my first 70.3, and I subsequently blew up on the run and ended up with a 6:43.. which was hard to deal with.. but I learned from it, and now, 365 days later, I was determined to do things right. A year of learning how to train smarter, and race smarter was culminating in the test that awaited me. It all began with a bowl of Oatmeal.. something I didn't do last yeat. After that, I went out to transition, got body marked, set up my area, and went back to my room to grab final pre race nutrition and head out to the swim start.. oh, that was right out my back door.. A perfect start to the day, and the race hadn't even started.
Event warmup:

The water was calm this morning. Not lake calm, but calm for the Gulf of Mexico. About 40 minutes prior to my wave start, I drank an Ensure. I forgot my first GU, so I didn't pre swim GU like I had planned. 'FME' First Mental Error.. Was my day turning in a negative direction? I blew it off and basically forgot about the GU. I jumped in the water and swam out and back about 100 meters or so each way, just to get a feel. Everything felt good, and all systems were GO. I hear the call for the male 35-39 Orange caps, and headed to the corrals.
Swim
  • 37m 35s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

ok.. I need to preface this. I registered for this event the day before. About 4pm to be exact. They allowed Thursday and Friday on site registration. Anyway, the guy who checked me in gave me an orange cap and wrote my race number on it like all the rest.. 1108. Problem was, my swim start was split into two sections. I 'should' have been given a red cap, and started in the second male 35-39 group. I did not know we were even split into multiple groups until after the race. This all means that my swim was actually 5 minutes longer (to the second), than what appears in the results. So instead of a 32:35, my actual was 37:35. I have put in for a time adjustment. I don't want the 5 minutes if I didn't earn them.. what's the point of that.

Ok, now onto the swim.. gun goes off.. BAM! SME second mental error right out of the gate.. I forgot to lower my goggles. I had no idea for the first.. oh, 20 to 30 seconds, then it hit me.. salt water.. eyes.. OUCH!!. So I grabbed them and brought them down over my eyes. I didn't stop at all, just kept on going. I had salt water rolling around in my goggles the entire swim. So, SME and I am thinking, 'is this going to turn out like last year?' I was letting my mind get the best of me when I thought to myself.. 'do NOT let your mind defeat you'. After that, I am happy to say that SME was LME.. my last mental error. The swim continued on. The pack thinned out and I just got into a great rhythm. This is where it gets fun.. somewhere on the short backside, about 900 meters out, I got stung on the right cheek **face :)** by what I assume was a jelly fish. I've never been stung before so I don't know for sure, but it felt like I was electrocuted across my entire face.. That didn't throw me off any and I shrugged it off, but it hurt for a good 20 minutes, and I felt the sensation through about half the bike. I thought about going to aid to see if I should get some ointment or something, but.. eh.. if I was still breathing, then I was ok. Swim went well overall. Took 11 minutes off of last years time.
What would you do differently?:

Let's see.. (pun intended) LOWER MY GOGGLES!!
Transition 1
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

Good T1.. faster than last year. Had a slight calf cramp pop up while taking my wetrsuit off, but whatever.

Practice wetsuit removal off the legs. This slows me down every time.
Bike
  • 2h 40m 26s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.94 mile/hr
Comments:

Ahhh.. the bike. Felt good to be underway. Put my mind on autopilot, and just go. I rated the course smooth, mainly because there is no choice for both smooth AND rough. There is a section about 15 miles long where it is just horrible. The rest of the course though.. perfect. Anyway, not much else to say here other than I had a good bike. Averaged 20.9 mph.. dammit, .1 more and I would have been at 21.. haunted by not taking that first GU before the swim? Maybe. I drank often (HEED), refilled when I needed. Aid stations were every 10 miles. I would dump a water, then dump a Nuun into my Aero bottle. I also ate about 5 fig newtons along the way. My nutrition game plan was being followed, and seemed to be working. Who really knows at this point though. I still had a 13.1 mile run ahead of me. Bike over.. onto T2.

Not much. Train better. Also use racing wheels. Coming up with the 1500 dollars for those though.. that's another story, that maybe you'll see on the 6 oclock news someday.
Transition 2
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

I was a bit deliberate in this transition, on purpose. I knew I needed to be on my game entirely, going into the run. This is where I would make sure of that.

Nothing at this race in particular.
Run
  • 1h 56m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

ok.. the run. My strength, which bared my weakness last year and created my downfall. This year though, that was not going to happen. I just felt different from the word go. I knew I had 13.1 miles in me. What I didn't know, was how fast I could go. Earlier this year I had run a 1:35 half, in cold weather, on hills.. this was flat and HOT.. 89 degrees by this point. Still, I felt strong and did my thing. The aid stations, 1 per mile, had sponges coming out of ice water. I grabbed two per stop and just soaked myself with cold water. That was enough to manage the heat.. it was still insanely hot out there, but like I said, this was 'managing' that, and I did well there. Miles 1 through 8 were uneventful. Mile 9, where I blew up last year.. was uneventful too. :) Mile 11 I started getting a sore stomach and sore lower back, but I knew I was almost home. I kept pace and did not walk once. I crossed the finish line at the 5:20:20 mark.. I grabbed a water, then quickly grabbed a seat. I set a PR, and beat last years race time by 1 hour and 23 minutes. While seated, I smiled to myself, and knew that everything I was doing, was right.. and there is no better feeling in the world, then to know you are right, and have it all laid out there in front of you.

Train more. For me, a 1:56 half is not something to be proud of. I can and will do better. I was not peak trained for this race though, so I am ok with it.. plus it just gives me more to shoot for.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, Ice, Pizza, 2 beers, Pepsi with ice, more water, more ice.. ahhhhhh.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

no 70.3 specific training was done. I trained for other events around this one.

Event comments:

What can I say. This event from top to bottom is well done, and a great time. The Saturday night after party is fantastic. This was the 25th anniversary race. The aid stations were perfect. In the heat that May brings to the Florida coast, you need perfect, and that's what you get. This race is highly recommended. As always, some slight tweaking could make this one a superstar among half Ironman events.

Last updated: 2007-02-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:35 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/203
Overall: 0/1175
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Full
Course: Rectangle. Straight out, from a beach start, turn left (different than years past), swim the back stretch, turn left again, head straight back into shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:40:26 | 56 miles | 20.94 mile/hr
Overall: 0/1175
NOTE.. no other race times need adjusting for starting in the wrong wave. The 5 minutes were subtracted from my swim.. and added back by me.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Turn right.. head out 2.5, and back 2.5 through some beach area in PCB. Then keep going down along the coast on 98A, then a right turn, then a hill, then another right.. bumpy roads, a turn around, then back the same way.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:56:38 | 13.1 miles | 08m 54s  min/mile
Overall: 177/1175
Course: Out to a state park, affectionately called the 'Frying pan'.. so true.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-14 7:51 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Gulf Coast Triathlon

2007-05-14 7:59 AM
in reply to: #799288

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: RE: Gulf Coast Triathlon
Great job Ron, it's amazing how much of a difference nutrition can make isn't it? Great race and great hanging out with you afterward.
2007-05-14 8:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Awesome race RT. Good job. Congrats on your PR and having sweet revenge. Feels good to go back and say you kicked this race's ..as opposed to it kicking you. Good work, keep it up and who knows where you'll end up.
2007-05-14 8:12 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Awesome job all the way around. .Isn't getting the monkey off your back a great feeling? I had exactly the same experience my second time after a miserable rookie race.

Way to go - It's huge!

c
2007-05-14 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan
nice job!  Jelly fish to the face ouch
2007-05-14 8:34 AM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
So revenge was a sting on the face.... um, I mean sweet? Congrats on an awesome race. It's all a numbers game.... perhaps my pre-race analysis should have been a bit more than a 5:21... maybe that would have gotten your legs moving on the run! I think the race you had overall was outstanding and the run wasn't bad given the conditions. I can't wait to see what IM training does for your times.

2007-05-14 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Nice RR and way to knock off some much time compared to last year!!  That's awesome!
2007-05-14 11:59 AM

User image

Ron! excellent job on setting a PR for this race and such an improvement over last year.   way to go!
2007-05-14 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
While reading your race report and all the great things I wanted to say regarding your awesome race, all that could come out was that jellyfish thing! I think that is way cooler than fire ants prior to a marathon.

Seriously though, great race. Glad you overcame the adversity.

H.
2007-05-14 12:49 PM

User image

Austell, GA

Great race report, it amazing how after a few (ME) mental errors, you kept going in stride.  Great determination after all the demons you were fighting from last year. 

Congrats on the PR, only he knows whats to come for you!!!

2007-05-14 1:38 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Great RR.  Nice job not letting the SME or jellyfish throw you off your game!  Congrats on a great race

2007-05-14 2:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna

Congrats on the awesome race.  You wanted revenge and you definitely got it! 

It was fun racing with you again.  Your suggestion on the transition run was spot on and I was at the bike and out in no time at all! 

Hope you're recovering well and we'll be at it again in 3 weeks.    Congrats again!

2007-05-14 8:17 PM

User image

Regular
Lilburn, GA
Really good job on the race.  I wish I had your nutrition strategy, but I guess that is just something to learn!  I definitely have a lot more respect for the amount of food and water it takes!
2007-05-16 10:30 AM

User image

Ok rockstar--i have a bajillion things to do today at work..seeing how i was laying at the pool in Vegas for 5 days..but top priority was to check out your crazy jelly fish story and get the details of your race. GREAT JOB. IM will prove to be your ultimate race...however these 'smaller' ones are what define u as an athelete. Get faster--get some placements in some races....and then u will be on top of your game. I can't even imagine how that will look seeing how u seem pretty darn on top of it now. So exciting!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gulf Coast Triathlon Rss Feed