United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 45s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/26
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, had some coffee, squirted some gel in my mouth and generally sipped some water/sports drink before the race. Chatted with my friend Mike.
Event warmup:

No warmup. That water was too darn cold for me to "warm" up in.
Swim
  • 14m 13s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Man was that water cold! I foolishly started in the back of the group thinking that I would be slow and would have folks swimming on top of me. Turns out that was not the case. I could not find a clear path so I basically swam slower than I would have wanted to. Beyond that my arms got so cold that I was beginning to tighten up a great deal in my biceps. Only drank a bit of lake water on one leg as it was a tad choppier. I also havent been in open water except for this race so far this year and my sighting was suffering.
What would you do differently?:

I need to place myself on the front and to the outside of the pack to give clean water and let me get my pace together. Pracitce sighting once I actually swim in open water regularly. Oh, and I need to swim faster...
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Not my best transition. I could not get my wetsuit off so I had to sit and pull it off. I was also a bit dizzy from the cold water in my ears as I forgot ear plugs. Once I put on the shoes and socks I was in good shape.

Put some bodyglide on my lower legs and feet to make the wetsuit slide off easier.
Bike
  • 47m 29s
  • 15 miles
  • 18.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I went out pretty hard on the first loop. My breathing and effort slowed a bit by the second and by the third I was comfortable. Too comfortable. I needed to push a bit harder. This was a pace I could have held up for at least an OLY and I was slower than I could have been as a result. The worst part for me was the sharp turn at the bottom of one of the hills. With my heavy behind, momentum conservation is really important and I could not take advantage of it with this big slowdown. The wind was a head/tail wind so it balanced itself out.

Overall push harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Pretty good. Could have been faster as I took a few seconds to get a gel.

Move faster and perhaps get some of those speed lace thingies.
Run
  • 23m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I am still pretty slow on the run and it showed. I have done no real speed work(ever) and am getting ready for longer races. Im faster than before (last year) but I need to spend more time on the run training to improve there. That said, I could have held this up for 10K instead of 5K. Its almost like I dont know how to run fast. I also did not have anyone really around me to "race" with so I likely did not push as hard as I should have.

I need to run lots to get faster at running. While my focus is longer races I may need to work on some speed at some point.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with Chris and waited for Mike to finish the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental pacing, not enough training, poor strategy on the swim, 208 pounds to carry around the course. Limited ability to train over the winter through March due to long work hours and travel.

Event comments:

Interesting that I placed lower than 7th in each of my events, (11th, 8th, 13th) yet combined was 7th.

Last updated: 2007-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:13 | 820 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/26
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Promotion sleeveless
Course: This was a triangle sort of course that started from the usual swim beach on one end and finished on the other end. Counter-clockwise rotation.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:47:29 | 15 miles | 18.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/26
Wind: Some
Course: Three loop out and back along the park roads. Up and down a couple of small hills with a sharp turnaround after one hill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:59 | 03.11 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/26
Course: Out and back over and up a couple of hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-05-14 10:49 AM

User image

Regular
Lakewood CO
Subject: Littlefoot Sprint Triathlon

2007-05-14 11:03 AM
in reply to: #799640

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Littlefoot Sprint Triathlon
That was a great race! I think it's time to change your screen name because that was decidedly NOT slow!
2007-05-14 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Um, pssssssstttt!  A sub-24 minute 5k is NOT slow--even in an open 5k.

You are one brave dude, getting in that freaking cold water!  Great race overall!

2007-05-14 1:41 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
I agree with the ladies!  You are not slow!  Great early season race in a cold lake!
2007-05-14 2:30 PM

User image

Regular
Corona, California

The cold can be very demoralizing. You still did great despite the cold water. Nice race, you did awesome! 

2007-05-15 3:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver CO
Great run! I too was very dizzy in T1 and had to sit down otherwise I would have fallen over jumping around on one leg to get out of the wetsuit. Major struggle to get out of the suit sitting down that is for sure. I uttered a number of words that I did not lear from my mom.

I got some tips from Joanna Zeiger, put body glide on the outside of the suit's lower leg so it slides better over itself. I tried it, did not help much. The second thing she recommended was cutting a piece of the leg, staying within the area where the seams are taped. I think I am going to give that a try.

I was totally amazed by some of the top guys at the race.. 33second T1 for example.

See you around at the next race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Littlefoot Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed