General Discussion Race Reports! » St. George Triathlon "SGTRI" - Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St. George Triathlon "SGTRI" - Olympic Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. George, Utah
United States
BBSC
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 3s
Overall Rank = 146/558
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 26/70
Pre-race routine:

Got about 3.5 hours of sleep prior to the race. Breakfast as usual, a couple of bananas, vitamins, plenty of water.
Event warmup:

Didn't have time. Traffic was backed up getting into the venue. We knew it would be so we left an hour earlier, that didn't help any. I guess the only way to get there without a rush, is to camp there.
Did some really really light jogging (back and forth to the port a potties) and that's about it. Stretched out my arms and shoulders prior to swim.
Swim
  • 16m 57s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started my swim off at the front of the pack, but immediately felt the impact of a wetsuit that's too small, and lifting weights this week. I was overtaken quickly and reverted to the sidestroke until I reached the first bouy, about 150m out. Once I turned the corner I got into my rythem and was able to maintain it throughout the swim. I am happy about that!
What would you do differently?:

Get a wetsuit that fits. Forget about everyone else, Freestyle whether they are in my way or not. This cost me a few minutes I figure.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Ok, this is where everything blew up. I FLEW out of the water, faster than any prior race. I knew my cousin was in front of me because of my slow swim start. Tried removing the wetsuit while running, not happening! Got to T1 and saw my cousin, but he split as soon as I got there. Tried squirming out of suit, no luck! My buddy was taking pictures, but there was so many USAT officials out and about, I didn't dare risk outside help. 2 and a half minutes later, I had the suit around my waist, but my arms and hands were stuck inside. Fortunately, another competitor came up and ripped it off me. I owe her one!

Either go without a wetsuit, or rent something that fits! Other than that fiasco, T1 rocked!
Bike
  • 40m 10s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 18.52 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a really good bike and am pleased with it. I forgot my Garmin, so I had to guess at my speed. It didn't matter as I was trying my best to catch my cousin. It did not happen, although I was able to gain some ground on him.

Nothing, I am pleased with my bike. I can tell I need to work on some intervals or something to get a little extra race day boost.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

T2 was good, everything went as planned. I opted to change into my socks for the run since it was a sandy run for the entirety. Daryl left as I was coming in.

Nothing
Run
  • 28m 35s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Finally caught up to Daryl about 3/4 of a mile in. I had to push to do it though, and that cost me when I got to the one nasty climb on the route. I gave in to my inner lazy guy and walked up the hill, but hammered everywhere else. I finished strong with a sprint for the last 1/2 mile. I gained probably 10 or 12 spots from this.

More run training. And hit some trails occasionally and do some training in loose material.
Post race
Warm down:

Enjoyed Post race food, and beverage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stupidity! Hard lifting of weights the week of the race, lack of training for the last couple weeks.

Event comments:

This race was awesome! I was concerned because it was taken over by BBSC this year. They did a great job, and exceeded my expectations. This is an annual MUST DO race for me!
I had two goals going into this race....
1-Finish in the top 200 - I finished 145
2-Finish in under 1:45 - I finished in 1:30.
I have to say, I am very pleased with my overall performance.

Last updated: 2007-03-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:57 | 750 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/70
Overall: 0/558
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Length
Course: very light chop
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:40:10 | 12.4 miles | 18.52 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Course starts out downhill and then starts a long, steady, easy climb. About 4 miles in you encounter a nasty climb that is about a half mile long. Road was rough except for the start and finish.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:35 | 03.1 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: SANDY!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-14 1:15 PM

Expert
Las Vegas
Subject: St. George Triathlon "SGTRI" - Olympic Triathlon

2007-05-16 2:16 PM
in reply to: #799955

User image

Subject: RE: St. George Triathlon "SGTRI" - Olympic Triathlon

Nice job on the race Ryan,,,,, sounds like you need a stripper.

Enjoy your rest week.

2007-05-19 12:17 AM
in reply to: #799955

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: St. George Triathlon "SGTRI" - Olympic Triathlon
Great race! Your swim transition time was terrific. No doubt you would have shaved a few minutes off your time with a wet suit that fits and not hit the weights that same week.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. George Triathlon "SGTRI" - Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed