Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 49s
Overall Rank = 18/237
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Gatorade for breakfast.
Event warmup:

5 Minutes jogging, then static stretching.
Run
  • 1h 00m 49s
  • 9.3 miles
  • 06m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I don't know if it was the gatorade or the hills, but I had nausea during the entire first half. I couldn't take water at aid stations because I didn't think I could keep it in on the uphills (my last race involved me throwing up on the uphill). Stomach improved on the flats.

My IT bands were sore from the Labor of Love Run, so I hadn't trained during the week. My legs felt heavy at first because of this, and I was careful not to go too fast on downhills.

1st-4th place in my age group were within 2 minutes of one another. I caught the 4th place person at mile 8.

What would you do differently?:

I need to find a way to keep my stomach happy during the run. If I could do it again without soreness, I'd attack the downhills more and try to drink more water.
Post race
Warm down:

A little stretching and a lot of eating.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stomach aches.

Event comments:

This race has been legendary for the past 26 years because of a half-mile uphill at mile 6 called Mashed Potato Mountain. This year the course did not include it, but it was still very challenging and hilly, yet somehow fast. I ran a 15K PR and got my first age-group award since 2002. This is the third race that I plan to keep coming back for each year. So far the list is: Boilermaker 15K, Potato Stomp 15K, and the Seattle Marathon.

Last updated: 2004-09-12 12:00 AM
Running
01:00:49 | 9.3 miles | 06m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 18/237
Performance: Good
Course: Start was mostly downhill, so it was deceptively fast. Then the road was rolling for about 5 miles. The last 4 miles were flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-09-12 8:03 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: Potato Stomp 15K

2004-09-13 1:41 AM
in reply to: #60557

User image

Subject: RE: Potato Stomp 15K
I wish my race times looked like your yours. You run pretty darn fast with a stomach ache! Good race...I like the name (I grew up in Idaho, I thought it would have been an Idaho race so I was suprised to see it was in Ohio)
2004-09-13 4:25 PM
in reply to: #60557

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Potato Stomp 15K
Potato Stomp? I grew up in Ohio and we don't grew or stomp potatoes. We have buckeyes and lots of them. What a strange race name. This race belongs in Idaho or Montana. Anyway, good job. Keep stompin'.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Potato Stomp 15K Rss Feed