Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2007-05-15 5:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
Subject: Scott F's group - FULL!

NAME: scottf2 / Scott Fischbein
STORY: Cycling was the sport that transformed me from a lazy teenager into a pseudo-athletic adolescent. Did some road racing in high school, lots of mountain biking and rock climbing in college and grad school, and now as a (mostly) full-fledged (36 y.o.) adult, I've taken up triathlon as of about four years ago. Cycling is still my biggest strength and first love, but I've made great strides in running and swimming and have a lot of advice to share as far as what worked for me and what didn't. I spend a lot of time doing "research" online - learning about the latest and greatest techniques/ideas/thoughts on training, performance, etc. I'm a very big fan of training with power on the bike - I love my power meter. I'm the president of the UC Davis triathlon team, and I really enjoy encouraging/guiding those who are new to the sport or looking to improve. My philosophy is to offer advice and encouragement and to provide people with the resources they need to make informed decisions about their own training and racing goals and techniques.
FAMILY STATUS: Currently living with my girlfriend and dog, both of whom are very supportive of my training and racing and love to come cheer me on at races (actually met my girlfriend through the UCD tri team, but she doesn't race any more due to injuries).
CURRENT TRAINING: My big goal for this year is the full Vineman in August, which will be my first iron distance race. I'm also doing the Auburn 1/2 IM on May 20, which will be my third half-IM (I did Auburn last year and my goal for this year is to have a better performance during the very hilly run course). I've been following an IM training plan from Rich Strauss (Crucible Fitness) which incorporates power training into the bike portion, and it's been working quite well.
LAST YEAR'S RACES: Last season I did my first two half-IMs (Auburn and 1/2 Vineman) as well as 4-5 Olys and a few collegiate sprint races. Also did some cyclocross racing during "down time" in the Fall - what a blast!
2007 RACES: Have done a few collegiate sprints this year (and won or placed in my AG in most of them, which was nice!) and will be doing: Auburn 5/20, San Jose Int'l - 6/24, Donner Oly - 7/15, and the big one: Vineman - 8/4.
WEIGHTLOSS: Ah yes, weight loss... I've been trying hard to lose a few pounds, mostly so I can become a stronger climber, since I really like riding in the mountains. I've had some success, but not as much as I'd like.

Feel free to check out my logs, but be warned that there's a lot of banter and "affectionate" trash talking amongst my UCD tri-team training buddies...

I'm looking forward to finding some enthusiastic Beginner Triathlete mentees of any experience/fitness level. I'm happy to work with anyone, all that I ask is that you make a commitment to regularly logging your workouts (at whatever frequency they might be) and I'll make a commitment to regularly checking those logs and providing feedback (in addition to answering any questions that pop up on this thread, engaging in general triathlon discussion, providing guidance, etc.) If any of you happen to be in the Sacramento or Bay Area, perhaps we can even get together for some training sessions (I also visit southern California a few times a year...)

I think I can offer the most to those doing sprint/olympic distance races, but can also offer my thoughts on half-IM or longer distances, although I've done considerably fewer races of that distance.

Thanks for reading - looking forward to "virtually" training with some of you!

Scott

Edited by scottf2 2007-05-16 11:30 AM

2007-05-15 11:24 PM
in reply to: #801922

User image

Parker
Subject: RE: Scott F's group - OPEN, come on in...
Scott -

I would love to join your group!

My name is Laurie. I am a 34 year old stay at home mom. I have 3 kids G-B-G 10-7-4.
My background is compeditive running - track and cross country and compeditive swimming. All at the highschool level.
I've always enjoyed being active and have run 5K and 10K races up until the last 5 years. Between being on bedrest for 3 months with number three and feeling the stress of having three young kids (one with special needs) I gained a lot of weight and lost what muscle tone I had left.
This year was resolution year for me and I started Jan 1 with an exercise plan and a diet. I have lost 30 lbs thus far this year and am signed up to do my first tri in June. My biggest needs are help with the bike portion of the triathalon. I know that the mentor group is for those that have their first tri in the fall but I would really like some help with June as well as my second tri in the fall.
I'm worried about loosing motivation for number two. I would like to continue to loose weight (about 15 more) and I would like to improve my times from 1st to 2nd.
Right now I am loosely following the 13 week program til my first tri.
Any help, tips and advice would be so appreciated.
Laurie
2007-05-15 11:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

Hi Laurie - welcome to the group. Great screen name!

I think you'll fit in well in this group - sounds like your strengths complement mine, as I'm definitely much more knowledgeable about cycling than swimming or running (although I've learned a lot about those two disciplines in the last few years, it doesn't compare with 20+ years of cycling experience!)

I'll do my best to help out with the continued motivation and I'll provide whatever guidance I can between now and June and move on to your later race after that.

Congrats on your weight loss - I'm working on losing a few pounds as well, so we can probably help keep each other honest

Looks like you're already doing great with the logs, so that will be easy.

Looking forward to working with you

Scott 

2007-05-15 11:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kelowna, BC
Hi Scott,

You caught my eye because of your cycling experience. Are you willing to mentor someone who is more interested in Duathlons? I have been cycling for just over a year and LOVE it. This spring I began running and can run 5k in just under 30 minutes now. I would love to work my way up to a Duathlon before I start tackle the swimming. Are you interested in helping me out?

Thanks, Barb
2007-05-16 12:00 AM

Veteran
Ontario

Hi Scott, I would love to join your group as well if I can.

Name: Rob

Story: Well its pretty short lol.  I am pretty new to this and was never athletic before.  Last fall I bought a mountain bike and was hooked right away.  As of Christmas I wasn't able to run 1km, but kept at it.  I just ran my first 10k race about 2 weeks ago in just over an hour.  I was back of the pack but finished without walking and was happy.  I am doing my first triathlon which is a sprint next month.  OWS still scares me and I will be using my MTB, but I still plan to have fun and finish. 

Family Status:  Young and dumb :D  Not married, no kids, lots of free time.

Training:  No exact plan.  I try to make weekly/month goals and just go depending on weather and how I feel.  I prefer trail riding on the bike so mileage isn't that high but the effort is.  I am also starting to enjoy running which is great.   

Last year races:  None

2007 Races:  In my log, but sprint tri in June, 8k in June, 1/2 mary in sept, and if a miracle happens, full marathon in oct. 

Weightloss:  Well I was about 255 when I started (6'4) in Nov, I am down to about 225 now.  I personally don't care what I weigh anymore, and measure my success with a watch now. 

2007-05-16 12:08 AM
in reply to: #802205

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

Hi Barb - how can I turn down someone from BC, my favorite place in the world? Living there, I'm not at all surprised you like cycling so much! I've never actually been to Kelowna, but have spent a few summers in Southeastern BC (Squamish, Whistler, Vancouver) climbing and mountain biking (lots of pictures on my website: http://climbernet.com/galleries/mtnbiking/BC2004/)

I think working on your running and cycling before throwing swimming into the mix is a perfectly acceptable way to approach the "multisport" lifestyle. My first race was a mountain biking duathlon, and my second was a triathlon with an ocean swim that scared the crap out of me (huge waves, storm debris, etc.) I considered sticking with duathlons for a while, but have come to love swimming...

Anyway, duathlon, triathlon - it's all about having a good time and getting out there and getting some exercise, right?

Looking forward to working with you!

Scott

2007-05-16 12:11 AM
in reply to: #802209

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

Hi Rob - another Canadian - welcome to the group! A mountain bike is definitely a good way to start. I started out as a road rider, then abandoned my road bike in favor of many different mountain bikes before returning to road biking when I started doing triathlons. Now I enjoy both of them (although the mountain bikes have been very neglected this year due to too many busy training weekends!)

I'll definitely take a look at your logs in the morning. For now, it's off to bed!

Welcome to the group!

Scott 

2007-05-16 1:33 AM
in reply to: #802215

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kelowna, BC
OK thanks Scott - and hello to Laurie and Rob as well!

Here's my info:

I'm 47 and have been a complete non-athlete all my life. Started cycling last March. Could barely go 5k without stopping for a break. Within 3 months I was hooked and bought my first road bike. My training consisted of keeping up with my hubby who has been a cyclist for years, mainly MTB but new to road. We ride together and now that it's warm, are on our bikes 5-6 times a week. I have lost 23 lbs in the past year and am still working on the last 3 to reach my goal.

This winter I began to think about triathlons which is pretty hilarious since I have never been able to run a block without being winded. I started by doing a walk/run in Feb a few times, then tried a full km, then bumped it up to 2, then 3 and can now run 5km without stopping. Running is a lot harder than biking but it's different and I like the challenge. I am going to do my first official "5k run" on June 10th and would love to work towards a duathlon.

Training Plan:

I'm still tweaking this but my general goal is to run 2-3 times a week, try doing some long endurance runs, some tempo runs, some interval training to increase my speed. I will still ride lots so that's the hard part - fitting it all in. I am trying to do more recovery rides so I can save my legs for running once in awhile, but still get the k's in.

I have several cycling routes I do - one short and hilly, one longer with a long slow climb, a TT route, the 70 k Sunday Ride route, and Knox Mountain short but very steep climb - I vary them depending on my time available. Some days I just ride the flats and keep my HR below 140.

Hubby and I are both teachers and we tend to take off from school and ride for at least an hour most afternoons, plus do longer rides on the weekends. I have a 9 yo son who is at daycare at that time and with his dad on the weekends so I have lots of time to train. Between my hubby and I, we also have 3 adult daughers who are no longer living at home.
2007-05-16 9:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Downers Grove

Hey Scott,

I'm hoping ya'll have room for me in the group. I've been logging my workouts since late January when I began cross-training (I'm a runner at heart) and have found this site to be a godsend in motivation and tracking progress. I was bummed I missed the other Mentor programs by a couple weeks (since all were full) and was hoping they'd add another session.

But here's some more info (Background) on me: My name is Aaron. I'm 25 and live in Cincinnati, OH (born and raised). I'm recently married (8+ months) and have 4 crazy dogs. Yes 4 dogs… I know. Anyways I was a runner in HS and took up other shorter events (and throwing events) in college track. Once I graduated I stopped running/lifting. Weight was up to 205 a month after the wedding. I started running and recumbant biking (stationary) religiously every night since October. I'm back to my "race weight" in college at 165 or so. Around January I dusted off the 'ol Trek 1000 Road Bike and started hitting the roads again. I'm not great at it, but hope to improve through this year. I always feel like I'm out of place when swimming, but I'm hoping to turn that around this Summer in the pool.

My Current Goals: I really want to start competing in Half Ironmans. I love the distance training and bike rides. I am not the fastest out there, but I'll eventually catch others if given enough distance and time I have two Olympic races on tap for this season, then two HIMs in Aug and Sept. I just ran my first Marathon and did way better than I thought I would, so now I'm stepping up my running to get back into the shape/speed I was in for HS and college. I want to do an Ironman next year, but it's all dependant on how training and the races go this summer. It also depends on how much free time I have that I can commit to the sport. I really hate taking the time away from my wife, especially since we're newlyweds. I'm currently in the process of re-planning my training logs for the rest of this month... i'm OCD on this stuff!

I love running, and biking is enjoyable (although I like riding on the trainer a little too much). My first tri is this June (Oly Distance) and I am really just looking for others who really are into the sport to keep encouraging each other and offer tips and advice when it looks like it's needed. I'm hoping that a "support system" like this will help everyone step their game up in workouts and training wise.

Anyways, happy training!

2007-05-16 9:57 AM
in reply to: #802553

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

Hi Aaron - I think you'll be a great addition to the group. I like your idea of all of us working together to motivate each other - I'm glad to provide whatever information/assistance I can, but it sounds like most of us have some athletic background experience (or just life experience!) to draw on, so I think we can all help each other.

Incidentally, your weight "bookends" are almost exactly the same as mine - I went up to 205 after a decadent year studying in Germany before starting grad school, then dropped to about 165 when I was doing a lot of rock climbing, and am currently fluctuating between 175 and 170, hoping to get down to about 155 (which would be the lightest I've been since I was 18, so it might be too much to hope for, I'd be happy with 160-165).

It looks like all of us so far have some weight loss goals, so I think we can definitely help support each other in that arena - provide inspiration, tips, etc. I occasionally use the "nutrition" log on here and really like it, but sometimes I'm too lazy to fill out every single food item through the day, as the interface is a bit clunky due to the limitations of web applications (I'm a software developer by day, so I appreciate the difficulties of designing these kinds of applications for online use...)

Anyway, looks like we've got room for one more and then we can get this party started!

Scott

Edited by scottf2 2007-05-16 10:04 AM
2007-05-16 10:02 AM
in reply to: #802209

User image

Tennessee
Robb - 2007-05-16 12:00 AM

Hi Scott, I would love to join your group as well if I can.

Name: Rob

Story: Well its pretty short lol.  I am pretty new to this and was never athletic before.  Last fall I bought a mountain bike and was hooked right away.  As of Christmas I wasn't able to run 1km, but kept at it.  I just ran my first 10k race about 2 weeks ago in just over an hour.  I was back of the pack but finished without walking and was happy.  I am doing my first triathlon which is a sprint next month.  OWS still scares me and I will be using my MTB, but I still plan to have fun and finish. 

Family Status:  Young and dumb :D  Not married, no kids, lots of free time.

Training:  No exact plan.  I try to make weekly/month goals and just go depending on weather and how I feel.  I prefer trail riding on the bike so mileage isn't that high but the effort is.  I am also starting to enjoy running which is great.   

Last year races:  None

2007 Races:  In my log, but sprint tri in June, 8k in June, 1/2 mary in sept, and if a miracle happens, full marathon in oct. 

Weightloss:  Well I was about 255 when I started (6'4) in Nov, I am down to about 225 now.  I personally don't care what I weigh anymore, and measure my success with a watch now. 

Ha.  Benedict Arnold - Found ya - told ya - you can run (and swim and bike!) but you can't hide!  I'm telling Phoenix ;-P  ---Seriously, good luck- I know we kaffe-klatched you to death.  I'll stop by your blog and visit time to time.

2007-05-16 11:03 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
I'd like to jump in with this group, if there is still room...

My name is Matt, I'm 31, married to a great woman, three daughters 7, 6 (in 4 days) and 1. One high energy dog (aussie shep/border collie mix). Live in Michigan, south of the snow, north of the auto business.

I started training for my first tri about a month and a half ago. My first event is a sprint in June. I've been swimming for exercise since last August. Basically, I just hit the pool three times a week to burn calories. Then, I started getting interested in mountain biking again this spring. I picked up an older hardtail and got talking to a riding buddy of mine. He got me interested in a little road riding. It popped into my head that if I was swimming and riding, I might as well do a Tri. So, here I am with a friend or two in tow.

I'm a pretty solid swimmer for a guy with no competitive background. I would have to say that my cycling is a rather distant second, and my running downright blows. I have a firm handle on nutrition, since I've dropped 30 pounds with diet and exercise a couple times in the last several years.

I need to improve my cycling and running. Being a good swimmer is not going to do me much good for an 8 minute swim, then and hour and a half of cycling and running.

I've never been in a tri before, so actual race activities and planning are all foreign to me. I've never even run a 5k race! I am signed up for June 16th (Big Fish Sprint Triathlon), planning to do an xterra in July, another sprint in August (Lansing Legislator, could move up to olympic), and definitely an olympic in September.

I log my workouts daily, and I could log my nutrition if it would help anyone else.

I'd love to be invited along.

-Matt
2007-05-16 11:11 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Goals, I forgot to add my goals...

This year is to simply get back to "fighting" weight and build some endurance. Olympic length tris are a must by September. Beyond that, I'd like to do a marathon by November.

Next season, I'd like to step up to all olympics and a half iron. We'll see where I go from there.

In order to get back to "fighting" weight, I only need to loose another ten pounds or so. I'm at 182 right now.
2007-05-16 11:26 AM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
Hi Scott,
I would like to join your group.
My Story: I was born and raised in Chihuahua, Mexico and grew swimming competitively all the way thru college (played waterpolo with Sac State in the 90's).
I am now 39 yo and early in february the doctorr told me I had two choices:1) Get regular medications to avoid diebetes or 2) loose weight. I chose the second one and decided to take on the challenge and what better way to do it than with Triathlons. I think my heaviest weight was over 275 and I am now 247. My goal is to hit 225 before my goal race (TRI for real, august 5th).

While I was in living in Mexico, our coach had us do some small Tri's but they were focused on the swim but I have never done any other Tri's since 1986.

I am new to the mentor program but I am willing to be an active participant and more than anything else, I am willing to learn from all your experiences.

Personal: Married, with two kids (19 and 16) one black lab "Compadre" who is 16 1/2 years old (he can't go out training with me anymore, he is retired from sports)

Goals:
#1- avoid diabetes thru TRI's
- 225 pounds by 8/5
- June 9th sprint TRI
- July Sprint TRI
- August 5 Olympic TRI

Mauricio
2007-05-16 11:33 AM
in reply to: #802812

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

Hi Matt - welcome aboard - you got the last spot...

EDIT: Since Mauricio posted while I was writing this, let's go ahead and add him in as well, that will bring us to six total, but I think that's OK.

Ok - so it looks like our group consists of:

• Laurie (whatmomwants): first triathlon in June, another in the Fall. Currently on the BT 13 week plan.
  • Barb (Kelownagirl): 5k run on 6/10, then working towards a duathlon. Currently doing some good solid cycling on various beautiful BC roads
  • Rob (Robb): sprint tri in June, another in July, then running races, leading to a possibly mary in Oct. - long term IM goals
  • Aaron (arieth81): Olys in June/July, Half-IMs in August/Sept - check out his very slick (and full) race calendar in his log!
  • Matt (matt3liv): sprint in June, Xterra in July, sprint #2 in August, Oly in September, wants to do Half-IMs and Olys next year
  • Mauricio (MrSolis): sprints in June/July, Oly in August.

Looks like a great diverse group - I'll check out your logs over the course of the day, and then we'll figure out where to go from here. Should be fun!

Scott

Edited by scottf2 2007-05-16 11:40 AM
2007-05-16 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
Subject: RE: Scott F's group - FULL!

Hi Mauricio - looks like you just made it in under the wire - that brings us to six, but I think that will be fine.

Are you still in the Sacramento area? I assume you are, since you mention the "Tri for Real."  TBF puts on a great series of races - I did their mt. bike duathlon as my first race ever, and it was great fun - well organized but still low key and friendly. 

2007-05-16 11:38 AM
in reply to: #802812

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

EDIT: never mind - once I added you as a friend on my log, I can see yours... nice log by the way - I like your goal of:

Be a good and supporting husband,
keeping my wife first before all things.

Matt - you mentioned in your post that you log your workouts daily, but I don't see a "logs" button on your posts or in your profile - is your log private? If so, can you make it public so that we can all take a look at it? If you don't want to make it completely public, I think there's a setting so only people on your "friends" list can see it, so you could do that and then add us all as friends.

Speaking of which - we should all add each other in as friends on our logs so we can easily check in on each others' progress.

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by scottf2 2007-05-16 11:50 AM
2007-05-16 11:40 AM

User image

THANK YOU for taking me in. Yes, I am still in the area. I live in El Dorado Hills and work in Folsom. I usually ride in the Amereican River Bike Trail

Mauricio
2007-05-16 12:02 PM
in reply to: #802875

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

The ART was where I first started riding when I got back into road biking - I was living in Fair Oaks, off of Hazel, just 1/4 mile from the fish hatchery - the ride from Hazel to Folsom was a really pleasant way to relax after work. I also used to mtn. bike a lot in El Dorado hills on the Salmon Falls trail, which is also a great trail run and beautiful road ride (although it gets a little dicey on Spring weekends with all the traffic from people going to/from 49 and/or the river...) A lot of us from the UC Davis tri team have been heading up to Auburn a bunch lately in preparation for the "world's toughest half" this weekend - some fabulous riding up there too.

Anyway, lots of great riding opportunities around your area, as I'm sure you know. If you're looking for some riding recommendations to add some variety to riding on the ART, let me know.

Take care,

Scott 

2007-05-16 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
I just added everyone to my friends list. That should allow access to my workout logs. I have been keeping all of my nutrition and body stats on a spreadsheet. I'll have to start logging that into BT instead of the spreadsheet.
2007-05-16 1:08 PM

User image

Team,
I added you all already. My training log is up to date. I do not log my diet but my weight progress is there.

2007-05-16 1:10 PM
in reply to: #802869

User image

Veteran
Downers Grove
scottf2 - 2007-05-16 12:38 PM

EDIT: never mind - once I added you as a friend on my log, I can see yours... nice log by the way - I like your goal of:

Be a good and supporting husband,
keeping my wife first before all things.

Nice isn't it? I love her to death, but sometimes I get a little self-absorbed with training. It's an
obsession sometimes.
Anyways I'm stoked to get to know everyone! Let's do this!
2007-05-16 1:25 PM

Veteran
Ontario

Afternoon everyone.

Most of the things on this site work pretty well (especially the training logs), but like mentioned the nutrition part is a bit of a pain.  When I was trying to lose weight I used a site called www.fitday.com.  It works really well and has a huge database of foods and activites and gives you an idea of the calories you are burning and taking in.  I stopped using it as it got to be a pain to log everything, but when I used it I lost weight. 

Hey Scott do you still rock climb?  Thats another thing I just took up this past winter and have been hooked since.  We were going every other day all winter lol.  I am up to about 5.9 walls indoors, and going to be trying outdoor climbing this summer, as well as a lead climbing course.  This tri stuff has cut into it a bit but I still try to get out.

And welcome to everyone else! 

2007-05-16 2:51 PM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Just the simple fact that everyone would be looking at my logs, plus the advent of the new import/export feature, now I am getting a little crazy with my logs.

I used to keep a spreadsheet with my planned workouts. It was all time and discipline based, then I would mix up the workout type and distances from there. After the activity occurred, I would log the actual time and distance on BT. With this new import feature, I'm going to get everything into BT.

I built a spreadsheet for myself years ago, and I still use it. It has all my usual foods, and I can simply copy and paste meals or items into my logs. I got to be so regular with it, that I didn't really need to keep track of it on a daily basis. If the spreadsheet would be helpful to anyone, let me know and I'll email a copy over to you. The same spreadsheet keeps some of my body stats, weight, rough BF% and rough BF pounds. I used to take measurements, but I don't do that very often anymore.

I also figured it was time to go ahead a give a little back to BT, so I paid for a bronze membership. Now I can look back more than a week.
2007-05-16 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Downers Grove

So it seems we're all newbies here to the sport besides Scott. I'm going to preface this by saying I have no clue on most things with Tris. How to get your transition things ready, proper biking etiquette, and Open Water Swimming... and all the other things. Hopefully we can all learn it and help each other out.

Does anyone have any pointers or "what to expect" on an open water swim? I'll be taking my first OWS this weekend by myself at one of the local lakes. I'm going to be near the Beach portion of the lake so I won't be out in deep areas, just enough to get used to a wetsuit and the lakewater. Any help is appreciated.

Edited by arieth81 2007-05-16 3:04 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott F's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 13