General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Electrolyte\Carb Replenishers\ Recovery etc.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-16 6:54 PM

Saskatchewan
Subject: Electrolyte\Carb Replenishers\ Recovery etc..
Just wanted to know what you pros have been using for Electrolyte\Carb replenishers....and post workout drinks...is there any concensus out there as to what seems to be a better product?

2004-01-16 8:56 PM
in reply to: #4041

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Electrolyte\Carb Replenishers\ Recovery etc..
Get ready, I bet you get some detailed answers on this one! I usually stick to my Gatorade, but some of the guys and gals on the board are pretty educated on this stuff. I am sure they will give you some good advice.
2004-01-16 8:57 PM

, Alabama
I'm afraid I'm not a pro, but I do have my two cent's worth readily available. I found that a 50/50 mixture of Gatorade and Accelerade has worked best for me during training and races. After long training rides/runs or races Endurox really helps keep my muscles from being sore.

sharon
2004-01-17 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4052

Saskatchewan
I have heard about both accelerade and Endurox....both are on my list to try (they seem to be popular).....I have used Gatorade and I think its okay for short hauls...but I would prefer a product that has magnesium since its important in longer sessions....and both Accelerade and Endurox do...I guess it will be trial and error...
2004-01-17 5:44 PM

I just came back for the supplement warehouse were a friend of my husband works. I wrote on the forum asking about sport drink for endurance and recovery. Well long story short. Jason at the supplement warehouse walked me through several products and explain what they did and what they didn't do. He pointed our Endurox R4 Performance/Recovery drink but stated it didn't taste very good. It is a good mixture with 4 to 1 blend. 4 Carb 1 protein but if you can't stand the taste you won't use it. During the workout he recommended CytoMax or Ultra Fuel because of the simple carb/ complex carb blend. After work out he recommended Metabolol 2 because of the carb/protein blend and the taste.He stated that a carb/protein blend gives you a better post-exercise recovery. He also stated taking this supplement no later than an hour after your workout for maxmum recovery. That is my two cents worth. I will get back to the forum next week to let you know how these supplements work for me.
2004-01-17 7:14 PM
in reply to: #4072

, Alabama
I've never actually done straight accelerade because I found with all the jostling of the bottle during a run it gets real foamy. Since the Gatorade alone is a little too sweet for me, the Accelerade cuts down on that sweet taste and the Gatorade cuts down on the foam (and therefore, the burps!). Endurox definitely tastes horrible, but since it does the trick I suck it down anyway. It's only 12 oz and you kind of get used to the taste by the end.

Sharon

2004-01-18 10:44 PM
in reply to: #4051

I just tried this gatorade/accelerade mix tonight! I really don't like the taste of accelerade (the powder mix), so I thought I'd mix it so its not so...I dunno, it seems to make me thirsty which is not good while running. It was ok and seemed to work (kept my sugar level). Have you tried the pre-mixed accelerade? I can't find it anywhere, and I like to try it before I order it on-line. I like Accelerade because it contains a little protein which keeps my sugar more level (I'm a diabetic.)
2004-01-19 4:29 AM
in reply to: #4203

, Alabama
I've never seen pre-mixed accelerade. I don't really have any issues with the Accelerade so I've never really looked for it either. I find the Gatorade alone tends to make me feel thirsty and it seemed to cut down on that with the Accelerade mix. I guess everybody's different.

Sharon
2004-01-19 6:07 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
I have used the Endurox R4 for about 6mos and like it. I have never had a problem with taste. I do like the Ornage flavor a little better than the fruit punch though. I use GU and Power Gell during long runs.
2004-01-20 3:13 PM

Saskatchewan
Thanks for all the advice...I think I might "tri" the accelerade and the endurox...for now...and go from there....

Thank You muchly!!
2005-11-29 10:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Rugby, North Dakota
Are these drinks allowed during races?

Stupid question probably but I'd love an answer. :-)

Thanks.

2005-11-29 10:56 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

You'd have to check the race websitre to find otu what type of sports drink will be at the aid stations/bottle drops.  Typically most races don't provide recovery drinks.   You can always bring your own and drink it whenever you like.  Most people drink revocery drinks after the workout, bit some people might drink them during a wokrout.  It just depends.  There's no rules about what type of sports drink you can have and every one is different.

Edited by runnergirl29 2005-11-29 10:57 AM
2005-11-29 5:48 PM
in reply to: #293888

User image

Veteran
Rugby, North Dakota
Thanks RunnerGirl29. Hey, I am half-envious and half-admiring of your missions trips. I have always wanted to do that, and yet I think I would be a pansy and not very helpful. That is so cool that you do that!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Electrolyte\Carb Replenishers\ Recovery etc.. Rss Feed