General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First One Done Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-12 10:31 PM

New user

Wisconsin
Subject: First One Done
I completed my first triathlon this weekend. It was "just a super-sprint" but I am damn proud to have done it. The Lake Geneva Extreme Triathlon in Fontana was written about under race reports by a tri guy MUCH more experienced than myself so here is the newbie version.

Got there at 6:30. Wow. I loved watching the waves go into the water. I start to feel really nervous, bordering on sick. I can do it.

My wave went in last. The water is cool (70) but the air is cooler. Only 1/4 mile but I didn't train for the swim much at all. Big mistake. I'll know better next time. Just cuz you're fit, doesn't mean you can swim far. I round the buoy and am so tired. Is this going to be over before its begun? "I've birthed two kids!", I think. I can do this! When I am tired I flip onto my back. Who says you can't back stroke part of it?

Jog out of the water. I did it! I am smiling. See my husband in T1. He was worried and waited. Get going Mister, cuz I'll burn your a--- on the bike! Dry off quickly, put on my gear and head out. Cold at first but I am feeling good. A runny nose from the swim haunts me the entire way. Lots of hills and long climbs but those Spin classes have paid off. I am passing people on the hills easily. I feel like Lance Armstrong! The course is beautiful, I feel good, I am not winded and the hills come easy. Around mile 14 I start to feel fatigue for the first time. Now the "mogul" hills start. Its the end of the course but its all up and down. I push it and am speeding into the T2 area before I know it. Damn, now I have to run! I am so happy with how fun the bike was, I don't care. I wave to my kids who ask, "Where's Daddy?" "In my dust!" ,I reply. I haven't seen him since I started off ahead of him on the bike. Hope he didn't get a flat. The course crossed three rail road tracks! I swig some Emergen C water and jog out of the T2 area. Only a brief mile. I ramp up to a brisk jog up the hill. The hill feels hard after the bike. The turn around point comes astoundingly soon. I could have done the Sprint distance, I think. Now its down hill and I just go. Next thing I know a Cub scout volunteer is taking off my chip and the race is done! I am elated. Finished 61 out of 130 participants, 9th out of 20 in my age group. I am already thinking of what I could have done better. I am hooked. Next summer I'll go for two Sprint diatance triathlons. My husband couldn't have been happier for me. His legs cramped up on the bike and he said, "At that point, I knew I'd never catch you. You were just motoring." Love him. Loved the day.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First One Done Rss Feed