General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First One Done Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-12 10:33 PM

New user

Wisconsin
Subject: First One Done
I completed my first triathlon this weekend. It was "just a super-sprint" but I am damn proud to have done it. The Lake Geneva Extreme Triathlon in Fontana was written about under race reports by a tri guy MUCH more experienced than myself so here is the newbie version.

Got there at 6:30. Wow. I loved watching the waves go into the water. I start to feel really nervous, bordering on sick. I can do it.

My wave went in last. The water is cool (70) but the air is cooler. Only 1/4 mile but I didn't train for the swim much at all. Big mistake. I'll know better next time. Just cuz you're fit, doesn't mean you can swim far. I round the buoy and am so tired. Is this going to be over before its begun? "I've birthed two kids!", I think. I can do this! When I am tired I flip onto my back. Who says you can't back stroke part of it?

Jog out of the water. I did it! I am smiling. See my husband in T1. He was worried and waited. Get going Mister, cuz I'll burn your a--- on the bike! Dry off quickly, put on my gear and head out. Cold at first but I am feeling good. A runny nose from the swim haunts me the entire way. Lots of hills and long climbs but those Spin classes have paid off. I am passing people on the hills easily. I feel like Lance Armstrong! The course is beautiful, I feel good, I am not winded and the hills come easy. Around mile 14 I start to feel fatigue for the first time. Now the "mogul" hills start. Its the end of the course but its all up and down. I push it and am speeding into the T2 area before I know it. Damn, now I have to run! I am so happy with how fun the bike was, I don't care. I wave to my kids who ask, "Where's Daddy?" "In my dust!" ,I reply. I haven't seen him since I started off ahead of him on the bike. Hope he didn't get a flat. The course crossed three rail road tracks! I swig some Emergen C water and jog out of the T2 area. Only a brief mile. I ramp up to a brisk jog up the hill. The hill feels hard after the bike. The turn around point comes astoundingly soon. I could have done the Sprint distance, I think. Now its down hill and I just go. Next thing I know a Cub scout volunteer is taking off my chip and the race is done! I am elated. Finished 61 out of 130 participants, 9th out of 20 in my age group. I am already thinking of what I could have done better. I am hooked. Next summer I'll go for two Sprint diatance triathlons. My husband couldn't have been happier for me. His legs cramped up on the bike and he said, "At that point, I knew I'd never catch you. You were just motoring." Love him. Loved the day.

2004-09-13 2:57 PM
in reply to: #60624

User image

Chesterfield, MI
Subject: RE: First One Done
Wow, that was a real success story! I am still working up to my first triathlon but not quite ready for the swim. I sink like a rock and use up alot of energy on the way. I think if I can get past the swim mabe I will do as well as you!

Byrddowg
2004-09-13 3:34 PM
in reply to: #60934

New user

Wisconsin
Subject: RE: First One Done
Thanks for the kind words. I was ill prepared for the swim. I got a little panicky for awhile but just flipped onto my back and gently glided towards the shore. I had never heard of a "super sprint" before, and I am sure that "real" triathletes scoff at the puny distances, but it was a really good way to get my feet wet (literally and figuratively). Maybe you could search for one of those your first time out. Good luck. P.S. poeple who have buoyancy issues are usually solid muscle, so Rock on and don't feel so bad!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First One Done Rss Feed