General Discussion Race Reports! » Gulf Coast Triathlon- Cockroaches and the Crash Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gulf Coast Triathlon- Cockroaches and the Crash - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Panama City, Florida
United States
Gulf Coast Triathlon
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 38m 33s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 64/125
Pre-race routine:

I need to start with Thursday night. I drove about 7 hours, most of it with Craig, and my buddy from Cincinnati drove almost 12 hours to get to the race. We were all dead tired so as we were about to crash, I pulled the sheets back on the main bed and there was a giant cockroach looking me in the eye! WHAT?! My friend Matt wanted to pull the bed back to see what else was back there. Yep, a family of 4-6 others! We immediatly called the front desk but no one would answer. I called Expedia and they finally helped us get in touch with them. We demanded another room in another hotel. They agreed but wanted to charge us more. We said absolutely not but thanks for the new room key. Well, that key did not work. Nor did the next one. The security guard, after seeing me bang on the door and nearly break the handle off of it, said he would help us. Finally, it is 2am and we are going to bed. Only about 3 or 4 hours behind schedule so the 7am swim was not happening. We woke up about 8am and ate some breakfast before the swim. It went well and we decided to follow the plan of doing a light 20 min bike to a 10 min run, like we always do. The ride went well and as we approached our hotel, Craig pointed left towards the hotel and I nodded. I went to turn and he did not. In a split second I had two choices: either slam on my breaks or hit him at 21mph, and probably take us both out. I choose the former and went head over heels and landed head first on the road. I got up, did not seem to have a broken bone, but had to check out the bike. She (my BRAND NEW Cervelo P2C) seemed to be fine. I walked over to the make-shift medical area and got cleaned up and bandaged. After a couple of hours I did not feel right about it so Craig took me to a walk-in clinic. About 30 minutes later I had stitches in my hand and was told not to race by the doctor. I asked what I do as I had to race. He said to bandage it up with water proof bandaids and tape and to wear a latex or plastic glove that was extra secure. Mind you I had to get permission from the race official still. I saw him at the pasta dinner and he approved it. So, with bruises, scrapes, a swollen ankle, and stitches, I was going to race!
Event warmup:

My warmup consisted of eating about 750 calories of oatmeal, skim milk, an Ensure,and green tea. I walked with Craig and Matt to transition and got set up. My glove was secure and I was ready to race.
Swim
  • 38m 5s
  • 2078 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swimming is my nemesis. Just this year I went from hating it to disliking it. I am now starting to enjoy it (on some days). I always go wide right and this race was no different. I probably swam an extra 100-150 yards and still swam about 1-2 minutes faster than I expected. I also cleared my goggles twice as my left one filled with water.
What would you do differently?:

Practice my navigation more.
Transition 1
  • 03m 42s
Comments:

I have been having tracking issues with my left knee and have been wearing a brace. This added about 45 seconds to my time, which was expected. I was also kinda babying my hand a little.

Get my knee in order and not worry about the brace.
Bike
  • 2h 39m 3s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.13 mile/hr
Comments:

I ate over 1100 calories on the bike, which was at least 200 more than I needed. I was treating this as a warmup to IMFL and wanted to practice nutrition. I would pay later.

Not eat so much!
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

I forgot my frozen (then) water and went back to grab it. That was dumb as it was still not even close to being cold and I wasted about 20 seconds.

Not go back for water.
Run
  • 2h 14m 11s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt like I had a bowling ball strapped to my stomach because I ate so much. My goal was to run 9 min/miles and slowly bring that down to 8:45s, then get as close to 8:30s as I could. I ran a 7:33 first mile so I had to slow it down. My HR was good but I knew I would blow up. I was at 27 mins at mile 3 so I took a bathroom break. By the time I hit mile 5, I started to slow down and my legs started to cramp badly. By mile 8, they were cramping go much I was barely running. I took my sodium on the bike and was taking it on the run but it did not matter. I was talking some smack to my friend Matt as he has been saying for about 2 or 3 years how he chases the white rabbit (me) and would catch me soon. We are in the same AG but he is a much faster swimmer. I knew he would have 4-5 mins on me and he did. I managed to make up about 2 mins on the bike though. I knew that if I did not catch him by mile 6, he was having a good race. By mile 10 if I did not see him, he was gone (or done). After fighting all day and having the absolute worse run of my life, I see him at mile 11.5. I ran up to him and put my arm around him and said "finally"! We were both so cramped up and tired that we looked like a couple of old men stammering around. He told me to go and after double checking with him, I left. About 30 seconds later he ran up to me and said "why don't we just finish this race together". I agreed and we reflected on our races until the finish line.

Try to run more in the heat.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched and drank water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run was horrible. The cramps and heat took the life out of me.

Event comments:

I enjoyed the race and hanging with friends. I wanted to see most of the IMFL course and did. Now, it is 6 months of harder training for it.

Last updated: 2007-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:05 | 2078 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 75/125
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion full
Course: Counter clockwise rectangle
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:42
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:39:03 | 56 miles | 21.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 69/125
Performance: Good
Wind: Little with gusts
Course: It was an out and back course and I felt it was about a mile or so short. There were some rough spots before and after the turnaround.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:14:11 | 13.1 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 64/125
Performance: Bad
Course: It was a big loop. A big, HOT, HOT loop!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-05-16 7:59 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Gulf Coast Triathlon- Cockroaches and the Crash

2007-05-16 8:53 PM
in reply to: #803818

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Subject: RE: Gulf Coast Triathlon- Cockroaches and the Crash

For the record, I was not pointing at the hotel!

Tony, you are the man! I don't know if I would have raced with a big bump on my head, knee issues, stitches in hand, and you forgot the nice case of road rash on your back from your shoulder down to your hip. Next time (or hopefully not) I will communicate better!

Heal quick and my 808's are ready for you and IMFL.
2007-05-18 7:54 PM
in reply to: #803882

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Thanks Craig but for the record, at 21mph, it sure LOOKED like you were pointing left at the hotel!

Tony
2007-05-18 8:01 PM

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
Wow! Way to stick with it! Best wishes on your IMFL training!
2007-05-19 11:13 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
WOW awesoem job!!  Hope the injuries are all OK now
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gulf Coast Triathlon- Cockroaches and the Crash Rss Feed