General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner here looking for advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-16 10:03 PM

New user

Subject: Beginner here looking for advice
I recently signed up for a sprint tri in August. I have never done one of these before and have no idea as to what gear I might need in regards to clothing. I want to make sure I wear what is most comfortable and useful and not look like an idiot. Not like that hasn't happened to me before. Also where do you change at each station? Do they have rooms or do you just stand there out in the open?

Thanks,
Ed

2007-05-16 10:29 PM
in reply to: #803970

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Beginner here looking for advice

You do not change.  You may swim in a suit and then put some clothes on over it, but generally you have ONE outfit that you wear for the whole race.

There are NO rooms or changing stations. The only events those are usually provided for are 1/2 Ironman distance and longer.

You have til August to figure it out - go check out some trishorts/tritops/trisuits online.  They are built to swim in, bike in and run in.  If you don't want to afford that right now, just be creative.  Also, you may want to check out a book called Triathlon 101 which has a lot of useful info if you are just getting started.

2007-05-16 11:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Ed!

Can I suggest you join a Mentoring Group? If you click on the Forum's Button and look for the New May 2007 Mentor Program in the box above "Triathlon Talk" you will find a whole list of mentors that are just starting to form new groups for the next three months. You can read the profiles of the mentors that have OPEN in their Subject Line and ask to join the group.

You can ask any questions and at the same time share concerns in addition to learning from others in the group. The mentors, although not coaches, have a lot of practical experience that can assist you.

Hope this helps! I have found that triathletes are very willing to share without attitude.

2007-05-17 12:19 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
HI, welcome to the boards!

My first tri I wore a swim suit for the swim,pulled on a sleevless T and bike shorts for the bike, took off the bike shorts and pulled on run shorts for the swim (same t-shirt). Some will do it all in a bathing suit. A tri suit or tri shorts can be worn for swim, bike and run. I prefer two piece as oppsed to one piece...I don't even think one piece is an option for men!

Tri shorts are a nice option for men, even at full price (?30-40).
2007-05-17 10:24 AM

New user

Everyone,

Thanks for the responses this helps out a lot. It should be fun and an experience.

Thanks,
Ed
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner here looking for advice Rss Feed