Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 kms
  •  min/km
Post race
Event comments:

Shortly into the swim, I panicked, started hyperventilating, and was pulled from the water.

I thought I had done everything "right." I was seeded in the last wave, positioned off to the side. I was near a couple of people, but that was ok - I had done laps in crowded lanes on purpose. I had practiced for three weeks in a rental wetsuit and was comfortable in it. But a little ways out into the water, I felt like I was choking. My airways were constricting. I rolled onto my back, but it didn't help. I dog-paddled because I couldn't handle my face getting wet (that was new). I saw the sag kayaks looking at me. I rolled over again and started worrying about missing the swim time time cutoff. Then I wanted the wet suit OFF. NOW. That was it. I was pulled in, mortified, and went over behind a truck and cried a little (BTW, thanks to James for watching after me).

What the heck happened? I was ready for this race, well-rested and loose. Swimming has never been a problem for me. I'm a native Floridian, fer cryin out loud. I can't remember not being able to swim like a little fishie.

The day was saved by going home, cleaning up, and watching the bikes zoom by, then heading to the stadium, volunteering with the bag transfers, and seeing finishers. Bright spots of the day: seeing Keith, Ward, Antonio, Katie, and Gwen zoom past on the bike. At the finish line, Stephanie and Dorothy (hi doc!) crossed together looking strong and happy. Keith blazed in looking like a pro with his ever-present smile. Way to go! Bethany bravely faced her injuries - don't know how she finished, but her courage was/is inspiring. And Brad found a way to pick up his race packet, go to the UVA game, and finish a tri in 24 hours. His training secret: "fried chicken and beer." Wow.

So it's time to analyze, correct, and drive on. No wallowing. Seems that open-water swimming *is* different. I have to admit that and do it. Often. Also need more confidence in my swim stroke and the ability to swim "from the gun" rather than from an easy warmup.

Now that my season is over, I'm having surgery to repair some cycling-caused nerve damage in my left hand and elbow that's been bugging me since May. Muscular wasting means I can't put it off until November, so I've deferred the Marine Corps Marathon until next year. After surgery, I'll join Reston Masters (thank you for the advice, Michael!) and be out with the Saturday rides until the trail freezes. I've asked Santa for an indoor trainer and will be in the Spring Hill weight room this winter. Oh yeah, losing a pound or two won't kill me, either.

CongRATs to all of the finishers and a big thanks to everyone who provided so much advice and support in this, my first year. Stv, you rock! Huge thanks also to Dave for running a top-notch event. Like the California governor says, "I'll be back." :D

Last updated: 2004-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1500 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/600+
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 00 kms | 0.00 km/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 00 kms |  min/km
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2004-09-13 12:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Reston, VA
Subject: Reston Triathlon

2004-09-14 12:36 PM
in reply to: #60851

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Subject: RE: Reston Triathlon
Jamie,

Sorry to hear about your swim. This is my biggest fear also. I'm a native Florida girl, but the open water swim freaks me out. I know that there are things under the water waiting for me!! I'm the weakest of the pack and that's what they look for right?

Did you train in open water at all? Was it the wetsuit tightness?
2004-09-14 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
I had the same kind of "freak factor" set in on my first swim. It was a combination of nerves, murky water, and swimming in a crowd. I'm happy to report that it goes away the more you swim in open water. My first suggestion is to jump right back in and keep training. Get more comfortable with your swim stroke. Be sure you can at least complete double the distance of any event you're competing in and get more open water practice swims.

You will get through it. Gators don't play great football, but they do make great swimmers!

Edited by Motivated 2004-09-14 1:38 PM
2004-09-14 1:45 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

Jamie, what a bummer! I feel ya though. I thought I'd be invincible on the swim since I'd spent many years on various swim teams. But I had that same feeling when I hit that cold, murky green water. I couldn't put my face in the water until the last 200 or so. But, you know what? We'll do a little better next time and a little better the time after that and eventually, we'll be studs at it.

I think it's awesome that you stuck around to help out with the race. Shows a helluva lot of character.

-Kim

2004-09-14 3:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Reston, VA
Thanks, guys!

It's really unlikely that I even got to the start line in the first place. Very short story - I'm a middle-aged overweight unathletic chick who was a band geek growing up. I got this crazy triathlon idea when I was drunk by the pool the summer before last. I was inspired by a couple of other band geeks who did this (one, a Gator trumpet from '84, did IM Fla. in 2003). Now I'm hooked. Still fat, still slow, but lovin it.

My tri club is composed mostly of Serious Athletes, but they've been terrific. I'll spend more time on these boards in the coming year with people more my own speed, and try to give back some of the support that I've gotten.

Thank again for the encouragement. (blush) Back atcha, y'all.

Jamie

p.s. Motivated, not "great football," huh? You're not one o' them bulldogs are ya? 'Cause if you are, "not great" has had your number for 13 of 14 years.

Edited by GatorJamie 2004-09-14 3:00 PM
2004-09-14 3:25 PM
in reply to: #61422

User image

Extreme Veteran
Reston, VA
Nope, no open-water training. Thought a 50-m pool would suffice - NOT.

Wetsuit felt tight when I was panicking, but it was all psychological.

I thought the "lake life" would bother me, too, but it didn't. I swam in the Butler chain in Central Fla. as a kid, and boy did those weeds -- and the snakes -- freak me out back then. But that didn't bother me here, nor did the murkiness. The lake was a lot better than I expected.

I think what got me was the broadness of the lake. I had mentally divided the length into segments and was more afraid of boredom than anything else. But swimming in lap lanes didn't prepare me to psychologically handle the concept of "wide." Why was that such a freak factor? Who knows? But it was suggested that I swim near a rope for the psychological concept of boundary. That might help.

As far as picking off the slow and weak at the back of the pack, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're thinking of alligators, remind yourself that the sag kayaks aer looking out for that. If your race doesn't have afloat support, don't do that race.

Besides, "picking off the weak" is a job we'll let our Gators do this weekend against Tennessee. :D

2004-09-14 10:02 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
My swim is in the Gulf. I'm not worried about Gators, they are my friends. (They sense the orange and blue blood I have!!!) It's the sharks and jellyfish kind of things.

I've heard the image of imagining a lane marker from the start and connecting each bouy. Swim right along the marker. Stick close and your swim is the shortest it can be.

What was that Gator football comment earlier, by the way by Motivated? GATORS ROCK!!! We're going to tear up Tennessee this weekend. It really sucks that our game is so late, and I've got an early morning tri on Sunday!!
2004-09-15 8:18 AM
in reply to: #61743

User image

Extreme Veteran
Reston, VA
G8RSAX - 2004-09-14 10:02 PM

We're going to tear up Tennessee this weekend. It really sucks that our game is so late, and I've got an early morning tri on Sunday!!

LOL, G8RSAX, you are a GATOR and a bandie at that. You are therefore capable of doing anything with a hangover!

BTW, use a full wetsuit OR coat yrself with vaseline (NOT BOTH - hurts the latex) if you're worried about jellyfish. Don't worry about sharks - they don't like the taste of hungover blood. Good luck!
2004-09-15 12:03 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
You are absolutely right about doing anything with the hangover. I love the post that said pre-race meal was chicken and beer. I'm not a beer person, just vodka and a straw!!!

I'll try the vaseline thing. Never heard that before for jellyfish.

Thanks!! And as always.....GO GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!
2004-09-15 12:07 PM
in reply to: #61952

User image

Extreme Veteran
Reston, VA
The vaseline supposedly adds another layer to defend against jellyfish stingers. Use too much, though, and your bike and run will be icky.

Think about this, too: if you get stung, it probably won't hurt until you're out of the water. In that case, get a cigarette, break it open, and rub the tobacco into the affected area. It worked for me at Crescent Beach once.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Reston Triathlon Rss Feed