Hartford Marathon Foundation
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 56m 19s
Overall Rank = 122/207
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/13
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:00-5:15. Coffee, bagel with peanut butter. Watched a little tv. Got my gear together, bike on the car, husband driving—off to the race. I felt nervous!

Arrived at race site with plenty of time to set up transition and hang with BT peeps and lots of other friends racing today made it extra fun.
Event warmup:

Didnt do much to warm-up. Spent the bulk of my pre-race time in the portolet line as per usual. Only 3 portolets—WTF!! Once that business was taken care of I ran over to grab some more of the power bar i had started earlier and some water. Then my self and Polly and Lynne stepped it lively up to the race start. At this point, i can hardly contain my nervous energy. I'm ready to go!!
Run
  • 25m 8s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I prob went out a little fast on this first 5k so by the end of the first mile I was feeling like i should slow it down a bit. I had forgotten to hit the start button on my watch so had no idea where i was at in this first run. I slowed it down a bit to make sure I could sustain the run into transition. I really couldn't wait to get on the bike :). Was surprised to see a sub 26 minute time on that first run.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe start out a little slower and ease into the run. Negetive split it rather than positive splits. But a good run for me none the less!
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

My transitions times this year were very much improved so I am happy with both. Thing that helped was just keeping it simple. Nutrition and hydration all set to go on the bike. Running shoes off, bike shoes on, forget about the gloves. GO! (Last year T1 1:43)

Nothing. Perfect!
Bike
  • 1h 02m 14s
  • 18 miles
  • 17.35 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike split compared to my run split (or swim, for that matter) is always my best split. Got on the bike pretty easily and immediately started picking riders off. After the first 6 or so miles, I had picked off quite a few and settled into a back and forth with 3 or 4 riders. Toward the end—when the ride gets fast again—I picked off a few more. My max speed on this ride was 36.4! This was my first race with the tri bike and I wasnt sure how it would be on the hills. I have to say that the hills maybe felt a little tougher, but on the flats and the descents, the bike just flew! Wicked good fun :)

Nothing really—go faster!!
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

I was a little sloppy in this transition, but still faster than last year (1:25) The bike next to me was parked on one of my shoes!! Got it together and trotted out of transition for the second run. Could have been a little bit faster here, but not bad.

Make sure my shoes were tucked neatly in my area so as to prevent have them used as a bike stand…??
Run
  • 27m 1s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal for this second run was to go out at a very comfortable pace and be sure to maintain short quick leg turnover. Worked hard to get my breathing under control after coming off the bike and then climbing that little hill up onto the run course. I just tried to go steady and comfortable. I maintained comfortable pace til I got to the hill at the end and then I turned it on to get to the finish.

Wish I had pushed it a little harder to eat up those 15 seconds that kept me from taking 3rd in my age group!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little to try and catch my breath. Drank lots of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am thrilled to have knocked off almost 10 whole minutes off last years time.

Event comments:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Hartford Marathon always puts on a good event. With all they are up against in trying to find volunteers and keep everybody safe, they do a great job!

Last updated: 2007-03-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:08 | 03.1 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 160/207
Performance: Good
Course: 5k course is two loops with a little hill in the middle and again at the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:02:14 | 18 miles | 17.35 mile/hr
Overall: 96/207
Wind: Little
Course: A fairly hilly to start course that becomes nice rolling hills. Pretty challenging!
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:01 | 03.1 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Overall: 153/207
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-20 12:44 PM

User image

Master
CT
Subject: Shamrock Duathlon

2007-05-20 1:59 PM
in reply to: #808509

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Shamrock Duathlon

Wow you are speedy Pam!

Great race all the way around and in no time you'll take those 15 seconds plus lots more off your times and be getting some hardware.

Glad you loved the fun descents on your tri bike...it is fun to go fast isn't it?

Did you get any rain for the race? We did...hardest rain on fastest descent. 

All your running sure comes through in your races. Great way to start the season and I look forward to seeing all you accomplish this year and of course having fun doing it! 

2007-05-20 4:12 PM

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT
Great race! You smashed last year's time huh, good for you!! How did you like just having 3 portoilets, that was insane. Next time you head out to a race let me know so I can look out for you. Would be nice to meet a fellow BT'er. Congrats!
2007-05-20 4:46 PM

Pro
Andover
Well done, Pam. You looked great out there--always a smile on your face. Way to have fun and get that PB in!
2007-05-20 7:06 PM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
Awesome race Pam! I knew you were going to do really well, and I especially couldn't wait to see what your bike split would be. Very impressive all around. I'm glad you had a good first-race experience with your tri bike, and I look forward to seeing you on the course at Moose in 2 weeks!
2007-05-21 9:36 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Once again, phenominal race (and wicked fast bike spilt considering the hills). 

Now  less than 2 weeks until Mooseman.

2007-05-22 6:11 AM

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,
Great race Pam!  All that hard work and training you've been putting in has clearly been paying off.  You're off to a great start to your season!  Can't wait to see what you do at Moose!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Shamrock Duathlon Rss Feed