View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pearland, Texas
United States
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 17/468
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am to go over to some friends house to hitch a ride to the race. Shoved down several things on the way and made sure I drank 16-20oz of water.

Why is my age group always so small? :(
Event warmup:

Barely any warm-up maybe 1000m jog before, just to get cold again in the water.
Swim
  • 07m 43s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

It was a little conjested and all I did was run into people the whole time. I would get my own area and fall into a good grove for about 30 seconds before I'd catch someone and run into them. I also think the course was 35m long or so, but not big deal.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not get such a competitive spot in the swim since it seemed to cost me more time bouncing off people then a few extra meters would of.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

I was happy with this could be faster, but satisfied.

Just move quicker. :)
Bike
  • 26m 15s
  • 10 miles
  • 22.86 mile/hr
Comments:

I think I held back a bit to much(I could of at least done a lil faster to hit 23mphs) but I was happy.

push just a bit more
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Went to shove shoes on and it just went on horrible had to dig everything out to position right. That ticked me off and made me lose concentration to where I almost ran away with my helmet(just had to backtrack 15ft didn't go toofar). :)

Get my shoes on smoothly, make sure I can clip my number in quickly and don't forget to take helmet off.
Run
  • 18m 52s
  • 3.18 miles
  • 05m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Besides the distance being off, what a good run I had! I hit 5:50 for the first mile, 11:50 at the 2mile mark then I picked it up in the last mile and finish at 18:53? Now you see why I doubt it's a 3miler or even 3.1(5k). I'm not sure if it was 3.2 but I wouldn't be suprised. Maybe I can get a measurement from someone later. :) Good run though :)

Also to note only 1 water station on the run, didn't end up being a problem but I was a bit worried for a bit about cramps, which is why I backed off a bit on the 2nd mile.

I finished with just a little bit left in me.. shouldn't of held back that second mile.
Post race
Warm down:

jogged 1.5 miles with a buddy of mine.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still being a bit new to triathlons, only my 2nd one, still getting the pacing down to perfection.

Event comments:

Good race! Well put on, good volunteers, good location. The Bike course is technical with all it's turn but it's still fun. Only reason I rated it a 4 is because I'm a bit anal about course lengths and I feel these were a bit off.

Last updated: 2007-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:43 | 400 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 0/468
Performance: Below average
Suit: No
Course: Rectangle course in a clean man made lake that was super smooth, well untill all the triathletes entered it of course. ;p
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:26:15 | 10 miles | 22.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 0/468
Wind: Little
Course: TURNS AND MORE TURNS. Did I mention turns? hehe Good course still, just went through neighbor hoods.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:18:52 | 03.18 miles | 05m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 7/468
Course: What they say is 3mile course, then they say it's 3.1 but I'm 95% certain it was more around 3.2, I know my run! :)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-20 4:04 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: Silverlake Sprint Triathlon

2007-05-20 5:44 PM
in reply to: #808668

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Silverlake Sprint Triathlon

great race man.......you are blazing fast on the run!  keep this up and you'll be a force to reckon with for decades!  Gaye from fitness solutions measured the run course with a GPS, actually had to move the finish line in her attempts to make it exactly 3.1 so from what she said its probably pretty close to that.  5:50........wow, only in my dreams.  were you the tall kid with the long hair at the awards ceremony or was that the winner of a different age group?

edit- i think the kid i'm talking about was 17.  you know, you were only a few minutes off of first place OVERALL.

Edited by tag 2007-05-20 5:47 PM
2007-05-20 5:53 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Damn, you look like a competitive runner with run times like that.  Great race!

And you must have some good friends to hitch a ride at 4am on a weekend!  I'd be pissed off if anybody came knocking that early.

Congrats!

2007-05-20 7:49 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Thanks. Well luckly my friends were doing the tri also, so that wasn't a big deal.

I was the kid with short hair in red top, black shorts.. which probably describes 50 people out there lol.

I was just going off my splits to come to the conclusion that it was a bit longer then 3.1, so who knows. 5:50 1st, 6min 2nd and then what felt like a 5:50-5:55 which didn't add up to 6+min pace. But who truly knows. Still a good race
2007-05-20 11:21 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Hey, great race time and smokin' fast running.

Your AG is small because most guys your age aren't into endurance athletics for the fun of it, and they have "better" things to do with their time or money. Us old dudes have the time and money to play.

By shaving some more time off your transitions, you'll be contending in the overall standings before long.

See you at a race in the future.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silverlake Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed