United States
71F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 24s
Overall Rank = 5/48
Age Group = 25-29 W
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Thomas and I got in fairly late on Saturday. We got a later start than originally planned, but oh well. On the way, I tried to last-minute hydrate, and we stopped for Arby's (I had two roast beef sandwiches... I was starving!). We scoped out the race site, picked up my packet, and headed for the hotel.
Event warmup:

Took a light jog along the beginning of the run course, and then hopped in the lake for a warmup swim of about 500m. Put together my new mirrored goggles so as not to have another PlayTri goggle emergency. Realized I had forgotten my watch, HR monitor, and pedometer. Definitely a bummer, but no sense in worrying about it when nothing could be done at that point.
Swim
  • 07m
  • 600 meters
  • 01m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

First off, there is no way the water was 74F. They must have dumped an ice bucket in the lake and tested the temperature right then. That or they measured from the bottom of the center of the lake. Oh well, I had brought my wetsuit just in case. Unfortunately, lots of people either didn't have wetsuits or decided not to use them. I'm not sure why... it's a clear advantage in my mind. Although, that mindset somewhat cost me 1st overall racer out of the water. (Nevermind that I was 1st female by quite a ways...) Just for the record, that Coy "I'm a high school swimmer going on college scholarship" kid did NOT beat me out of the water. I have a photo of me clearly exiting the lake before him (see photos 2 & 3 - exhibits A and B. He's the one with the shaggy blonde hair to the right of me). The ONLY reason his time is faster than mine is because the wetsuit stripper station was before the timing mat, costing me the :09 that he beat me by. Can I tell you how mad it made me to hear him get announced as the fastest swimmer in the water... my ass. And he was even part of a relay!!! [end rant]

It was awesome to be first off the start - I had a good 300m of clear water. Then I caught up to the first wave. Ugh. Tons of traffic and wake. Oh well, it's not like I was the only one dealing with it. But overall, I navigated well, I think.
What would you do differently?:

Deny the strippers so I can be #1. Competitive? Me? Never! ;)
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

The wet suit strippers that I love so dearly cost me #1 swimmer. I'm sorry, I'm still bitter. :(

Take off my own wetsuit in transition!! Although, that's actually a pretty stupid idea probably. I'm sure it'd cost me more time in the long run... so maybe I won't necessarily do that.
Bike
  • 40m 3s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.48 mile/hr
Comments:

The course had really nice scenery, but (this sounds weird) it smelled funny. There was a really sour smell in the air the whole way. It was kind of yucky.

But overall, I was very pleased with my pace, hydration, and nutrition. I decided to try out taking a Hammer gel on the bike to get used to eating a bit in preparation for the HIM. It went well, but I've already made mental notes as to how I'd prefer to make it better - ie, gel bottles, using my bento box and moving my emergency kit elsewehere, etc.

Honestly, not much. I can definitely afford to get stronger and ride more so that I can go faster, but my strategy for this race worked well for me.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Chatted with Thomas about my ranking (as I was switching gear). He let me know that there were two girls close behind me coming into T2, and that I was currently 3rd overall woman. I had high hopes of keeping my position, but I was scared of getting caught, so I got mentally prepared to hammer the run.

Nothing really. I guess I'd like to learn how to get my feet out of my shoes and hit the ground running. That'd be pretty cool, but somehow I definitely see myself falling flat on my face.
Run
  • 21m 42s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm totally shocked at how fast I ran this course. Although I got passed by the two women behind me, I can't complain at all or say that I would have/could have turned it up a notch. The first woman passed me just after the first mile, and after that, she slowly distanced herself. It was so nice of all the volunteers and men that I passed to cheer me on to "catch her!" I didn't have the heart (or energy) to tell them that she had already caught me! But it was very well received, and I was touched by the encouragement. I even had one guy (whom I passed initially, and he came back and passed me right before the chute) come up to me afterwards and thank me for pacing for him. Ha! I would have never thought anyone would EVER consider me a good pacer for a race, so that was super flattering. Overall, I was thrilled with this run - a new PR - how could I possibly be disappointed! Sub 7:00, here I come!!! :)

Not much without puking.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around with Thomas, drank some powerade, ate a banana and pizza, and then put all my gear in the car. And after a while, tapped the keg :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Leg strength.

Event comments:

It was very easy to see how this race earned Top Small Triathlon for 2005 and 2006. The race packet, post-race festivities, and overall organization were on par (or better) with any large race I've been to. The small size of it made it much more personal than most races, and also made it much easier to keep order, it seemed. The volunteers were great and numerous. Aid stations were well-placed to be efficient. And the awards were by far the nicest plaques I've ever seen given out for a race. I will definitely be putting this race on my calendar for next year. But honestly, I hope they keep it small. I heard they're considering a 250 person cap for next year, and I'd almost prefer they keep it under 200. Great race... glad I did it!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:00 | 600 meters | 01m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 1/48
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot sleeveless wetsuit
Course: Straight out, right turn back into shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:04
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:03 | 13 miles | 19.48 mile/hr
Overall: 0/48
not sure - forgot the HR monitor and watch
Wind: Little
Course: Relatively flat out-and-back course along a dam.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:42 | 03 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Overall: 0/48
Again, not sure because I didn't have my HR monitor, watch, or footpod.
Course: Out-and-back course along quiet lake access roads. Very scenic and isolated. Partially shaded.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-20 9:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Subject: Four States Triathlon

2007-05-20 9:30 PM
in reply to: #809012

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Four States Triathlon
The reason behind the first photo is the man with the big gun in the background.  My boyfriend was joking that if you didn't swim fast enough, they "put you out of your misery" at small races like this.  Smile
2007-05-21 9:17 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Great job on the race and I agree the water did not feel that cold.  I wish we had all got together for a group picture perhaps next time.  Are you going to Jefferson?
2007-05-21 9:32 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Uuuuhhhh... let's see, you barely train and come in 1st in your AG? *Grumble* I mean... CONGRATULATIONS!

HA!

Great job out there. Yea, uuummm, I can't imagine swimming a 1:05 per 100 in my races... or even in a pool. I think I did that when I was 17, not these days!

The bike was fast too... and so was the run! TERRIFIC!

OK, so I'll see you next weekend at CapTex and I'm sure you will win your AG there too! Maybe you will let me touch your hardware? *It's the closest I'll ever get to some!*
2007-05-21 8:51 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX

WOW, what a great race! It looks like you were in the zone for everything. #1) I will apologize ahead of time for stalking you. I want to see what it looks like to swim that fast. #2) Thanks for the motivation to train harder for Longhorn. I can't have you kicking my a$$.

2007-05-21 8:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth
One minute per 100 meters? Holy cow - where did that come from? Oh yeah - your still a kid!!! Ahhh.... to be young again.....

2007-05-21 10:08 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Oh Yea,!!, Arby's Roast Beef sandwich for the night before meal.. !! Luv em.

I don't care how old you are, that is just smoking fast,, That guy with the rifle is to shoot any gators, but I'm thinking you would out swim/bike /run the bullets let alone the gators.

If you would have run across the mat out of the water would you be allowed to run back over to the wetsuit strippers or does that just mess up the timing of the mat??

great race
2007-05-21 10:13 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Wow!  Incredible race from start to finish.  Congrats on the hardware and a top 5 overall finish!
2007-05-21 10:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
excellent all around.
2007-05-22 3:12 PM
in reply to: #811036

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

Gaarryy - 2007-05-21 10:08 PM That guy with the rifle is to shoot any gators

This may be a stupid question, but are you serious?!?  If you are, I'm sure as hell glad I didn't know that beforehand.  Half the reason I think I go fast in lake swims is because I'm terrified of something eating me.

I think running over the mats is a one-time deal, so I think it was just unfortunate for me that the strippers were before the mat.  Oh well - I should have just swam faster!  Tongue out

Thanks for all the positive comments! Smile

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Four States Triathlon Rss Feed