United States
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 28s
Overall Rank = 69/465
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/21
Pre-race routine:

I had a long way to drive and had the alarm set for 3:30. Of course, I woke up at 2:00 and couldn't sleep. Fortunately, I had slept well the night before, so 3 hours would just have to do for today.

Ate my standard pre-race breakfast of oatmeal, Clif Builder's bar, and coffee while driving to the site. Kept a steady pace while driving and only 5 cars were able to pass me. ;-)

Listened to Johnny Cash's "Hurt" several times to set the proper mood. It was going to be a good day to "hurt".

Arrived in plenty of time; did the portacan routine, set up TA, got chipped, and waited for the start. I was in the sixth wave, so there was no rush. Shot a gel and drank ~10 ozs of G-ade Endurance 30 minutes prior.

Last year, this was my second tri ever and I had done it in 1:06:49 and I was looking to better that time by at least 4 minutes based on my pre-race goals and predictions.
Event warmup:

Stretched and swam about 100 yards. Probably should've swum more, but didn't. The air was still pretty cool and I got a little chilled coming back out of the water and standing around.

We were going to have picture perfect weather; cool and no wind, tailor-made for fast times.
Swim
  • 09m 27s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a good swim for me, I'm just slow.

Sighted well and had very little contact. Actually concentrated on swimming faster and not being content to just be comfortable.

Had good form and technique, I'm just slow.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster.

I had a goal of 9 minutes and was just a little slower than that. Normally I would have predicted 10 minutes and been close, but wanted to challenge myself somewhat today.

I'm rating this a good swim for me, I'm just slow.
Transition 1
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Good T1.

The fastest in my AG was 51s and I was fourth at 55s. Not much difference.

We had been assigned rack spots by AG, so everybody was working from the same rack positions and no one had the advantage of a sweet location.

Had to pick up and carry the bike to detour around a logjam of folks sauntering to the mount area. Come on people; move it along, it's a race!

Nothing.
Bike
  • 26m 34s
  • 10 miles
  • 22.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Now that I was out of the water and on dry land where I was designed to be, it was time to get to work on making up for the slow swimming.

With a stripped down bike and my new aero helmet, it was time to fly. I put the hammer down and never let up, except for the cornering. It was just 10 miles, so there would be no holding back.

This was a fun ride and somewhere along the way, I passed up most of the guys who'd beaten me out of the water.

Played leap-frog with a guy in my AG who eventually passed me for good and beat me on the bike by 14 seconds. He had a faster run than me, but was penalized 2 minutes (drafting off of me?) and I ended up beating him by 14 seconds in the overall. Funny how that worked out.

The bike traffic wasn't too bad and everybody stayed to the right, just like they're supposed to. None of the craziness of the 2 and 3 abreast like in my last race.

Being such a short ride, I didn't fool around with any nutrition, and only drank about 8 of the 12 ozs of GE from the aero bottle.

Brought it in fast, dismounted and hit the line almost perfectly.

Time to go run.

Not much that could be done. Not knowing the course, I had predicted 27 minutes and pretty much nailed it.

With all the corners, you just had to be careful and slow up a little bit. I don't feel comfortable bombing unfamiliar corners at 20+ mph.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Tied for second place in AG. So I'm thinking that's pretty good.

I run relatively fast in bike shoes.

Nothing.

Rack bike, throw off helmet, change shoes, grab number belt; it's not rocket surgery.
Run
  • 22m 48s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm not a slave to my watch, but I glanced it for the first time, and knew that I could beat my time goal if I didn't let up.

It was time to "hurt myself" as Johnny Cash had sung it and it started right out of T2 by sprinting hard for the first half mile. Slowly started settling down into a steady striding/breathing pattern, but probably stayed at my LT the whole time. Wasn't afraid to breath heavily and loudly.

I had already decided that I wasn't going to let anybody pass me. My challenge was to stay with whoever caught me.

At about the 2/3rds mark, a woman (37) came up on me at a fast pace. I hung on her heels for a 100 yards, but she was fast and I couldn't maintain it. I'd been "chicked". She was a better runner. Oh well, no shame in that.

Passed a lot of runners, but none in my AG. The 4 faster guys were well ahead and I guess I'd already passed the others on the bike.

Half mile to go, stayed steady to the end, never faded, and finished with a sprint.

Nothing really; pushed it hard, and ran my race.

I had predicted 23 minutes and hit it very close. Some racers thought the course was a bit long, and it seemed long, but I can't say for sure.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around; got some fruit, couple of smoothies, piece of pizza, and some water. Kind of disappointed they didn't have any coke or beer; something with some flavor and fizz.

Found a tent offering free massages for the price of my email address and they had an open table. What the heck, I'll give it a try. I didn't know what "hurt" was until those gals got ahold of my legs. Yowza! They found the sore spots alright. I begged for mercy, and soon they were finished. I guess I "felt better", not too sure.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Slow swimming will hinder any further advancement towards the top placings. I was fortunate to win the AG a couple weeks ago, but that was a one-time deal.

I'm very pleased with this race on several levels:
1) I met all my time goals and predictions.
2) I beat my overall time goal by 1m-32s.
3) I bettered my time by slightly more than 6 minutes from last year.
4) I made zero mistakes and performed to the best of my abilities.

Everything else is clicking into place, but the swimming has a ways to go.

It's easy to maintain this level of hurt for an hour; the question will be whether I can do it for twice the distance and for another ~1h-45m at CapTex next weekend.

Event comments:

This was a fun race, short enough to go wide-open and not mess up any training schedules and just a well run event. Gave it 4 just because it lacked that "little extra" that makes it a 5.

Last updated: 2007-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:27 | 437 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/21
Overall: 0/465
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto tri shorts
Course: Partial rectangle; go out about 200 yards, turn right for a little bit, come back. Well marked.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:55
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:26:34 | 10 miles | 22.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/21
Wind: None
Course: Concrete roads through residential neighborhoods. Lots of turns with a few decent straight-a-ways.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:48 | 03 miles | 07m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/21
Course: Sidewalks through the same neighborhoods. Couple of very slight "elevation changes".
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-20 9:45 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: Silverlake Sprint Triathlon

2007-05-21 6:59 AM
in reply to: #809045

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Silverlake Sprint Triathlon
great race and great race report.  sweet that you hit just about every goal.  i think that the getting faster in the water is gonna come with time and tweaking the mechanics.  its a very big step you made, staying comfortable and actually being able to concentrate on going faster.  congrats!
2007-05-21 9:26 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
YES! Great race!

Your bike was FAST! Dang, that's serious racing speed right there! And your run... terrific as always! I simply can't imagine running that fast.

Painful massages... HA! I know those all too well.

Well, you are READY for CapTex. Plus, it's not like you haven't done an Oly before... or a HIM for that matter.

I look forward to seeing you and Bev next weekend... and all of us racing together. FUN!
2007-05-21 10:27 AM

User image

Great Job!! I need to learn transitions off you.

On the swimming I have had some recent coaching and discovered less is more. Good technique is the key, I probably stroke half as fast as I used to and go twice as fast without tiring. My breathing still needs some work but I seem to have had a breakthrough week and my swim feels good. I actually look forward to swim training now.

As usual a great race report! See you at Austin on Memorial day.

2007-05-21 10:49 AM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

Great job!!!

Sounds like a good race was had by all.

"it's not rocket surgery" (hehehehahahahehehehe....).

2007-05-21 9:49 PM

User image

Expert
you are really kicking some ..... butt out there. Nice job and awesome bike pacing. Captex next week.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silverlake Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed