General Discussion Race Reports! » Peachtree City International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Peachtree City International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Peachtree City, Georgia
United States
Tri4gold
Total Time = 3h 24m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

woke up.
Event warmup:

set up transition.
Swim
  • 34m 54s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

I made a big mistake on this one in that I didn't walk out to the shore and look at the course before the race. I got into the water and realized that I really didn't know the course. I had seen it on a map, I know the lake, but there is something different about being able to visualize in your mind the course and the scenery. I zigged and zagged like a sewing machine. One minute I would be right next to the bouy and the next I would be 100 yards away from it. I only got bumped a few times so I know I was very wide of the course. Nevertheless, I still felt like I swam pretty well...My time is actually faster than my average time in the pool.
Transition 1
  • 03m 41s
Comments:

I started getting the dreaded cramp in my left calf at the end of the swim. When I was trying to get out of my wetsuit, it kept cramping up again. This slowed me down a bit. Also I kept getting dizzy when I would bend over to try and wiggle it off of my left leg.
What would you do differently?:

I would not put the timing chip on the leg that typically cramps up. It might not get so stuck from the wetsuit.
Bike
  • 1h 34m 41s
  • 25 miles
  • 15.84 mile/hr
Comments:

I live in this area and ride this course all the time. I knew there were going to be tough spots, but there were times in the race that I just didn't have my mojo. Two Gu's kept me going. I hate drinking out of water bottles with the thingy on the top. I can't get the water fast enough. This was probably a huge mistake for me. I should have gotten my hydration system out and set it back up. This was the first race of the season and definately I will get it back out for the next race. I just didn't get enough water throughout the course. Still, I was ok with my time. I wanted to go faster, but given that I wasn't totally prepared for this race, I am ok with it.

Drink more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

I could have done much better on the transitions. I overshot my space and then forgot to take my gloves off. I am sure it was only a few seconds, but there was only 1 1/2 minutes between the three of us in the Athena category.

Get my bright green towel for next time. Think about exactly what I am going to do before I do it.
Run
  • 1h 09m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a pitiful run for me. This is MY training run course so I should have aced it. I was totally not prepared for this race. I should have had under a 10 minutes pace, but there was no way I could have done it today. I was getting cramps in places I never had cramps before, I skipped a few water stations I should not have skipped and I whimped out and walked a lot. My mistake!

Train better. I was going to say do more bricks...but hey I haven't done any. My training has consisted of running on the treadmill and doing minimal biking and swimming. I guess I should be happy with finishing. Man I am depressed now.
Post race
Warm down:

Got water, went straight over to the massage tables and got a massage for the first time ever. It was worth the wait. It was nice talking to Anne's husband (non-BTer, but his wife is a really awesome athlete, she got 1st in Masters) - I totally missed having Don (Donmck) there. It just isn't the same when he is not there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was very glad it was over. I felt ok about my race, I knew it wasn't going to be great. I didn't work out for 2 1/2 weeks leading up to the race, plus I am getting married next week. My mind has been on other things.

Event comments:

Peachtree City is a great place to have a race. The golf cart paths make a really nice run and the roads in PTC are generally wider. The people that live there are used to seeing bikes everywhere. Kim Bramblett and her husband Peewee do an awesome job in putting on these races. The really put the extra effort (even in things you don't even realize that they have done...like somehow scooped up the goose poop in the transition area) to make it a well run, fun race. Big kudos to Smokey Bones for the great post-race food.

Last updated: 2007-04-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:54 | 1640 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: wetstuit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 03:41
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:34:41 | 25 miles | 15.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/3
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: It was great to see people I know out on the course. It especially helped to see Don out there, cheering me on! Thanks sweetie!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:55
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:09:20 | 06.21 miles | 11m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/3
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-20 10:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Subject: Peachtree City International Triathlon

2007-05-21 6:10 AM
in reply to: #809059

User image

Master
Woodstock
Subject: RE: Peachtree City International Triathlon
Great race kelly! It was great seeing you down there. Congrats on the wedding!. You did great with the preparation you had. I did notice your group had seconds between your finishing times. Good luck this season!
2007-05-21 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Well I suppose you have been busy with other things like, oh, I don't know - a wedding???  Ha - I am impressed that you did the race the week before your wedding.  It was a tough course and definitely was a challenge.  Looks like you really made the best of it and did great.  Hope the wedding goes well
2007-05-21 6:00 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Nice way to get out there and race even when distracted with other big things like your wedding!

Cool you were faster in the tri than in the pool.

Cramps in races stink and I only get them racing....more sodium or drink more?

Enjoy the next couple weeks and great way to get out there and race! 

Congrats! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peachtree City International Triathlon Rss Feed