Human Race
17F / -8C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 19s
Overall Rank = 388/876
Age Group = 33/34 (argh(
Age Group Rank = 28/49
Pre-race routine:

The wife and I decided I'd do this event solo in the end. With it being my first triathlon I didn't know how long things would take or any details at all so we begrudgingly decided that they'd stay at home and prepare for their holiday.

Before I left I had a bowl of cereal. I didn't know whether to have a protein shake or not but decided against it as I wanted to get on the road.

I got there really early and was one of the first to register. I bought a race belt and some body glide from one of the tents. I fixed my timing chip and stickers and took the bike to transition. That's where I got my first surprise. There was a bloke three places away from me who was clearly super fit - and he had enough nutrition with him to complete an ironman (or so it looked to me). With it being a sprint I didn't think I had to worry too much about nutrition. I had a bottle of water and a banana! So I went off and bought two energy bars, a gel and two cans of highly caffeinated energy drink. (As it turned out I still have one of the bars, the gel and half a can of energy drink!!)

I spent the next two hours watching the earlier waves go off. There was a brilliant vantage point over the transition areas so I was able to see what everyone did - what order they got their kit off and on, where they left their suits - all kinds of small details that helped me refine my plan. It was at this point I made an ill advised decision that I got away with. Very few people were putting socks on for the bike or run. I've never trained without socks but decided to go for it. I saw one bloke run out of T2 with his bike helmet on - all his family where shouting and pointing and he thought they were cheering him on and he's waving back - he soon realised though and managed to take it off.

I programmed my garmin for the bike and run sections deciding the feedback I'd get from it was more valuable than the five seconds I'd lose putting it on. Another late but good decision in the end.

An hour before the race I had one energy bar and fifteen minutes before I drank a can of energy drink.

I got chatting to the bloke next to me who is an established triathlete. He was a great lad and took any nervousness out of the situation. I was pretty calm about the whole thing though. I've done a fair amount of training and knew what I was capable of - if I did that I'd be happy.
Event warmup:

Not goog enough. I did some stretching and got in the water ten minutes before the event started with the rest of my wave and had a swim about. Should have done at short run and ideally a quick cycle but got my bike into transition too quickly for that really!
Swim
  • 06m 55s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

I took Laurens advice (thanks) and had faith in the fact I'm a strong swimmer by taking a place on the front row of the wave. I was over to the left slightly of the 'A line' to the first buoy. I wasn't planning on blitzing the swim - the plan was to swim within myself and get out feeling like I was still 100%. Being only a short swim round a rectangle sighting was pretty easy and I was aware no one was passing me. I decided to be a little aggressive at the buoys and took them really tight, there was some clashing of hands but nothing really. The last 200m was the hardest because the exit was relatively hard to spot. I noticed from watching others that the exit was at about 30 degrees left of the final turn - a lot of swimmers were coming straight back to the bank and having to compensate so I'd made a decision to swim more left than seemed reasonable. I was aware of people off to my right but I swam straight to the exit. It's difficult to tell if I took the A line but I think I did.

At about half way I had to remind myself it wasn't a swim race and to calm down a bit. I felt strong and was literally buoyed by the wetsuit which meant I hardly had to use my legs at all but I eased off a bit as I didn't want to get out with laboured breathing.
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on my sighting a bit. It was easy in this short swim but I've got a stiff neck from sighting ahead and then throwing my head round to breathe. At least I think that's what it's from. I was also aware a couple of times that my left arm was coming over the centre line so the stroke needs some refining too.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Most people I watched had jogged from the swim exit to the bike rack but I felt a little bit unsteady on my feet so I took a walked and removed my suit as I went. I was surprised I felt like that because the swim had been fairly easy going. I sat down to take my wetsuit off which was a little tricky around the lower legs.

I put my helmet, shoes and garmin on and jogged off with the bike to the OUT. I didn't do a 'jump on' moving start but had remembered to put my bike in the lowest gear so got away fine.

I could shave off time here by jogging straight out of the water, practicing taking my wetsuit off quicker, not wearing my watch and having my shoes fixed to the bike but for this time it was fine - the only thing I could have been better at was getting the suit off.
Bike
  • 37m 37s
  • 12.77 miles
  • 20.37 mile/hr
Comments:

I took off a little on the bike and over took a couple of people (no idea if they were in my age group or not). After a few miles I checked my heart rate and saw it was 172. That was too high if I was going to be able to run after and with Laurens advice in mind (again, thanks) I backed off a little with a view to keeping it at 165 for the remainder. This reduced my averaged speed from 21mph to around 20mph for most of it with some quicker bits here and there. There seemed to be some bunching up on the last lap with about four other bikes which I was grateful for as it allowed me to cruise in. I changed down a few gears and spun my legs through which was a good thought - I don't know how I managed to remember that.

I could have done this faster but like the swim I had to remind myself it wasn't a bike race. It was during the ride I was really pleased I took the time to wear my garmin otherwise I reckon I would have just charged ahead at full pelt.

I really enjoyed the bike, it was the most fun part of the race for me.

Nothing, really pleased with this part of the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

I unclipped after bringing the bike to a stop and jogged to the bike rack. Felt strong and happy at this point. Took a few seconds to open the second can of energy drink and take a few mouthfulls.

Should have unclipped both feet but for half a second I'll forgive myself.
Run
  • 24m 36s
  • 3.05 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Running is my weakest discipline by the looks of it. The results show that people who swum and cycled at my pace took around three minutes off me on the run so it's clear what I need to work on. And I think it is running ability - not that I run out of gas. My aim was to run at 8 minute miles and I wasn't far off that but I should be running at 7minute miles to do the other disciplines justice. That said, I was pleased to run at a steady pace. I planned just to give it everything that was left on the run and that's what I did (as my heart rate shows). I was passed by a few and managed to pass a couple. I'm confident that I run at the best of my current ability - I'm just frustrated that my current level of ability is so poor. It shoudn't be surprising though as injuries have stopped me from being able to focus on my running like I have my cycling. I'm really looking forward to improving that in the summer.

I was aware that no one elses breathing on the run seemed as laboured as mine! It was an out and back (twice) course so I was able to be in pretty close proximity to everyone. I chased someone down that I spotted half way through about 400m ahead of me and having that focus helped me to eek out every ounce of energy.

I tried a sprint finish but had nothing there - I tried to pretend the family where there but just couldn't drag anything out.

Nothing really during the race. But consistent run training is the order of the day.
Post race
Warm down:

My warm down was terrible on reflection. I was really buzzing that I completed and had suffered no disasters. I shook hands with a couple of people near my transition point and chatted about the race before nipping off to the results van to get the provisional times.

I didn't do any stretching! What a tool. When I got all my stuff together I took it all back to the car (about half a mile away) and then made a couple of phone calls home before wandering around in a happy daze watching some more of the events and chatting to people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not having had a period of consistent run training.

Aerobic capacity?

Event comments:

Well organised, flat, friendly and with excellent weather - what more could I want from my first triathlon!

Last updated: 2006-08-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:55 | 400 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/49
Overall: 80/876
Performance: Good
Suit: full body
Course: Three sides of a rectangle.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 14F / -10C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:37 | 12.77 miles | 20.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/49
Overall: 254/876
Steadily reduced my heart rate from 174 to 162 over the distanced - averaged 169 over the course.
Wind: Little
Course: Four lap loop of a flat course. Not very technical a couple of chicanes.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:36 | 03.05 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 40/49
Overall: 303/876
Kept a steady HR of 177 - upping to 184 for the final half mile.
Course: Flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-21 4:39 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Eton Super Sprint

2007-05-21 6:23 AM
in reply to: #809141

User image

Master
brummie land
Subject: RE: Eton Super Sprint
great race report. could really imagine i wsa there. well done triathlete

Edited by sappho96 2007-05-21 6:23 AM
2007-05-21 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
London
Excellent race, mate! Can't believe that's your first one though - bl00dy good effort!
2007-05-22 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)
WOW, very impressive. Really. First one? You sounded like a seasoned vet to me. Clearly you did your homework, even if you had to put on the finishing touches the day of the race. Be patient and keep to your plan...speed will come with time, and you have plenty of that.
2007-05-23 3:50 AM

User image

Master
ALSAGER, CHESHIRE. UK
Excellent report. Thoroughly enjoyable reading. Wish I was in the same class as you.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Eton Super Sprint Rss Feed