General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Tucson Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 10s
Overall Rank = 174/464
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 20/46
Pre-race routine:

Ate a Clif Bar and 2 bananas on the way to the race Got my bike/transition area set up and then walked around stretching/looking for fellow BTers and others I knew that were competing.
Event warmup:

Stretching.
Swim
  • 09m 16s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got a little beat up during the swim, taking a few kicks and other jostling as the start was crowded. It did thin out arounf the first marker. Tough to sight to the first bouy because the start was due east (sun rise + reflection on sun on water).
I did have to stop once on the swim as I heard a whistle. I stopped, looked up, and a surfboard nearly ran me over as a lifeguard was heading over to someone. I don't know if they were in trouble, but they were way off course.
What would you do differently?:

Start my swim a little faster to try and get away from the pack as soon as I could. For my first open water Tri, I'm pretty happy.
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Pretty quick transition considering the two mistakes I made (See below). I even had time to grab a Carboom and put it into my pocket.

I rolled my socks halfway down prior to the race. Mistake. I couldn't really figure how to put them on. I ended up unrolling them and just putting them on normal. Didn't take too much time. I also left the transition area without my race belt. It fell off my bike and another racer picked it up and brought it to me (hollering at me). I got it at the bike mount line.
Bike
  • 38m 29s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.38 mile/hr
Comments:

Great bike for me. I had a little trouble with the first time on the hill - but I don't really have any practice with hills. I;m very happy with this time/pace.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

I wore my running shoes on the bike so I had no need to change. This definitely cut down on my transition time. Helmet off, visor on and I'm gone.
Run
  • 27m 57s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I really wanted to run faster but I just couldn't. I didn't walk though. I suppose that 9 minute miles are pretty good after completing the other 2 legs, I had just hoped I'd be faster. This is only my 3rd Tri (2nd one in standard order) - so I am still improving.

Try and run faster. I was suprised at the amount of fluid that I needed (or thought I needed) during the bike portion. I did get water at 2 of the 3 aid stations on the run, but had difficulty drinking it on the run. I just ended up coughing. Maybe I need to practoice running and drinking.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and stretched for about 10 minutes. Looked around for SportyJ and StandsWithFist to cheer on some more fellow BTers. Saw Robot and BHannahs finish. I didn't stay for the end of the Oly. I got my bike out of transition (I didn't get caught) and headed home to shower and go to church.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I wish that I had been better hydrated. I thought I was fine, maybe it was the heat. I always have difficulty with pace when running on loose gravel.

Event comments:

Good race. I'll probably do the Oly next year.

Last updated: 2007-03-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:16 | 437 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/46
Overall: 0/464
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: Triangular swim around bouys
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:29 | 12.43 miles | 19.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/46
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Rio Salado to Priest. Priest to Washington/Curry. Curry (uphill) to Rural. Rural to Rio Salado. 2 Laps.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:57 | 03.11 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/46
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back along the lake. Sidewalk and loose gravel path. 2 slight hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-21 7:57 AM

User image

Elite
the desert
Subject: Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon

2007-05-21 8:49 AM
in reply to: #809282

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon

Awesome job Tom! You have to be very happy with your bike time! You were flying.

That is a very respectable time for your run in the heat. I'm glad they put extra water stations, we just had one last week. But it is hard to drink and run.

Great job out there. I hope to do the OLY there next year too!

2007-05-21 9:11 AM

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
You really did amazing! I do not know how I missed you! I was at the finish for like 30 minutes! Like I said, you were a FLASH the entire time! GREAT RACE!!

Swim Fast - CHECK
Bike Fast - CHECK
Run Fast - CHECK

YEAH I think you make a good triathlete!
2007-05-21 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
Big Bear City, California
Nice job out there. I agree that I was having alot of trouble staying hydrated, especially on the bike. It was SO dry out I had cotton mouth every 5 minutes or so.
2007-05-21 12:45 PM

Pro
AZ
You had an awesome race Tom! I think it was the fancy new suit!!  Your bike time really improved, so you are totally on your way there!!!  Wait....was it due to all your super Green Lantern gagets?  I totally caught you transmitting something into your super hero watch!!  Hmmmmm...........
2007-05-21 3:00 PM
in reply to: #809383

User image

Elite
the desert

Edited by triguyfitz 2007-05-21 3:02 PM

2007-05-21 6:07 PM

User image

Regular
Phoenix, AZ
Great race Tom. To be able to hold 9 minute miles in that heat at the end is awesome
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed