United States
Terre Haute Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 15m 24s
Overall Rank = 149/266
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 22/35
Pre-race routine:

After a long drive the night before we got about 5 hours of sleep. Got up, had a clif bar, a small cup of coffee and a shower. Loaded up the bikes and headed to the race site. Parked, got our packets and set up our transition. This was definatly our (when I say OUR I mean my girlfriend and I) first transition of the season cause we pulled an idiot move. We rode our bikes from the car to the transition WITHOUT our helmets on. woops. The USAT rep brought us aside and gave us a warning. I've never forgetten to put the helmet on before. Wierd.
Event warmup:

We were there pretty early so it was nice to just be able to walk around and take it all in. Ran a little to just warm the body up. We put on the wetsuits about a half hour before the race and jumped in to swim. To our amazement, the water seemed warmer than the air. We swam for about 10 minutes and walked our route back to transition.
Swim
  • 13m 59s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was great. There was a bunch of seaweed to get through about 50 yards out but after that the water was great. My swim felt really good up until the turn around bouy. Then I started to feel fatigued. I took in some water and had to catch my breath. It's been a while since I had the wetsuit on and my breathing felt really constricted so I felt like I was hyperventilating for the last half. It was tough but I made it. I was in the first wave and everybody pretty much kept to thier own area. I didn't really get hit or climbed upon or anthing like that. Nice change of pace.
What would you do differently?:

Do some more training this summer. Definately in the open water.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 1h 19m 7s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.85 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm thinking my transition time is included in my bike time since there is no split in the results. My legs felt tired immediately and I thought "oh boy, I'm in for a long ride" My legs came back after the turnaround. I could definatly tell I haven't pushed myself on the bike in a while. My legs were aching by the time the bike was done. On the out portion I was passing and being passed about equally.

I need more raw strength in my legs. I'll be fine for the season but this off season I need to focus on some weight training for my legs.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 42m 19s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt awful starting the run. My whole stomach felt like it was cramping so I had to hold back and just regroup myself. I felt better after the turn around but then on the last mile we had to run up a small hill to get on the running trail and that just killed me. My legs were done. I got myself through the last half mile but got passed a couple times. Ugh! It's just a lack of training. Just getting back on the horse after on off season of taking it easy.

Just need to train harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some food and some really nasty Gatorade that tasted like childrens chewable asprin. blech. Sat by the water for a while and just enjoyed the day. It was absolutely georgeous out. I stretched a bit and was really tight. I need to train harder.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Took it easy this winter after the marathon in January. Just need to get into the swing of things and get back on my normal summer training schedule.

Event comments:

The water station coming out of transition didn't have any water. Just Gatorade. Seemed wierd. Other than that the race was great! Very well organized and everyone was so friendly and upbeat. I'll definately do this race again!

Last updated: 2007-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:59 | 875 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 150/266
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:19:07 | 24.85 miles | 18.85 mile/hr
Overall: 151/266
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:42:19 | 04.97 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 152/266
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back on a running/bike track and the last 3/4 mile was on a trail. Nice course!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-21 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove, IL
Subject: Terre Haute Triathlon

2007-05-21 1:29 PM
in reply to: #809587

User image

Regular
Westchester, IL
Subject: RE: Terre Haute Triathlon
nice job, I trained and still had problems. maybe i overtrained.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Terre Haute Triathlon Rss Feed