General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Last Stand Off-Road Triathlon/Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

XTERRA Last Stand Off-Road Triathlon/Duathlon - DuathlonXterra

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Augusta, Michigan
United States
Elite Endeavors
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 13m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Woke up happy to start off my 31st birthday with a 'lil duathlon (you know, so I can eat whatever the hell I want on my birthday!). Ate an egg & a half and a clif Z bar (chocolate chip), had some coffee too. Relaxed, tooled around on Myspace for a while, put together a pre-race CD to get me pumped on the drive (it totally worked!), got everything together to hit the road.

Event warmup:

Wasn't sure about the weather, so I brought a long-sleeve jersey, short-sleeve jersey, and a tri top...so glad I brought the tri top. As I was setting up my transition area I realized I was crazy-hot and changed into it about 15 mins before the race started.

Did a few minutes of jogging and stretching, chatted with tri friends, my best friend who was the on-site paramedic, and my cheering section. I had no nerves whatsoever, was just really, really excited to race after having taken last year completely off due to injuries.
Run
  • 16m 4s
  • 1.75 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

The first run course started on the beach where the swimmers started, which was cool. Previous du's I've had separated everyone out, but I loved this to get the start-of-race feel. There were only 3 women doing the du, and about 20-25 men, so I knew I'd for sure be at the back of the pack during the run. I took my time, settled into the groove and watched everyone promptly pass me. No worries though, I totally expected it. The run continued through trails and a bit of road, around a boat launch area, back through trails, and across the beach again. Luckily we ran on hard packed sand and I came in just as most of the men were exiting from the swim, but in front of most of the women.
What would you do differently?:

I'd prefer to be a faster runner, but other than that, felt pretty good for me.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Good T1 for me...very smooth.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 10m 52s
  • 12 miles
  • 10.16 mile/hr
Comments:

These trails are my home turf, but I haven't been on the technical sections too much as I haven't been a strong technical rider and tend to freak myself out. I did a course pre-ride a few weeks ago and felt pretty good, but didn't really prepare myself for being surrounded by competitive macho-men during the bike portion. I hung in with the guys fairly well (and even passed some!) during the first 5 miles of the course-which were certainly the easiest of the course. Few uphills, some singletrack, a water crossing-all really sweet. There were a few places where I really just hauled ass on the flats.

There were two huge climbs (Cardiac Climb & CPR) that I almost made it up, but both I had to hop off my bike as I started spinning out and almost tipped over...it's my most famous move. Once I got to the technical sections, I really lost some ground. There's a part called Granny's Garden that's pretty gnarly (and fun if you know what lines to pick-I don't!), I found myself hopping off the bike and moving over for people, then running instead to try to make up time. I might have exhausted myself a bit more by doing that and would like to fix that by next year. At one point I tried to hop back on my bike during a slight uphill (bad move). I clipped in, tried to peddle, and promptly tipped like a cow. My saddle caught by girl parts so bad that once I got moving again I literally had to stick my hand down my bike shorts to make sure I wasn't bleeding. Good news everyone...everything is still in perfect working order! I totally forgot about it by the end of the ride. The rest of the ride was perfect.

Practiced WAY more technical riding. Next year I'll make my goal to be able to ride every portion of the course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

My T2 was good except for the fact that I totally knocked someone else's bike off the rack. I felt so bad, but one of the volunteers came and helped out so I didn't have to fix it. Thank you, Ms. Volunteer!

As I left T2 my cheering section sang Happy Birthday...it was pretty freakin' cool 'cause the whole entire cheering section picked it up...pretty inspiring!

Not knock over someone's bike that's probably waaayyy more expensive than mine.
Run
  • 43m 21s
  • 4 miles
  • 10m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile definitely sucked ass, if I can be totally honest. Had to run across the beach (again!), run up a few (felt like) HUGE hills, and try to catch my breath. It definitely took me a while to settle in, but it finally happened. I did feel my IT band twitching quite a bit but didn't think much of it...oops. Today it's revolting quite a bit but I'm gonna go buy a foam roller thing to see if it helps.

Anyway, the run was good overall...a bunch of my tri-club friends were volunteering, so they cheered me on whenever I'd see them. There were a bunch of log jams to run over, but it was mostly singletrack and switchbacks to run on, and the wooded trails were great to run on out of the sun. At the last mile a cheering friend decided she wanted to run a little with me, so she kept me entertained while I tried not to puke...it was a welcome distraction, for sure.

Figure out my nutrition and what exactly is making me want to puke through the entire run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked for a bit, stretched for a bit, iced my knee.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wanting to puke through the run, IT flare-up.

Event comments:

This race was absolutely fantastic! Organized really well, the course was well-marked without any confusion, and the volunteers rocked! I would highly, highly recommend it to anyone interested in an Xterra race.

Last updated: 2007-05-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:16:04 | 01.75 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Didn't use HR monitor for the race...went by feel.
Course: Loop course, beach, trails & some paved roads. 1.75 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Bad
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:10:52 | 12 miles | 10.16 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: 12 mile course on the red and blue loops combined.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:21 | 04 miles | 10m 50s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: 4 mile trail run around boat launch, on green section of mtb trail, through trailhead, back to transition area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-21 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Kalamazoo, MI
Subject: XTERRA Last Stand Off-Road Triathlon/Duathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Last Stand Off-Road Triathlon/Duathlon Rss Feed