The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 40m 20s
Overall Rank = 288/968
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 62/186
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:00 am, 5 minutes of stretching, had my regular pre-race breakfast of a banana and yogurt. Packed up the car and headed out. Arrived at transition area around 6:15 and arranged all my gear, inspected my bike, inflated the tires, and all the normal pre-race routine.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warm-up other than stretching and some light running. The swim wave was permitted to enter the water with 10 minutes until start time, so I did a number of short sprints to warm up my swimming muscles.
Swim
  • 21m 54s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

Overall - a good solid swim for me, less than 30 seconds short of my PR on this course. At the start I lined up right of center and ignored the first bouy, instead going straight for the second bouy which eliminates an angle in the course and slightly shortens the swim distance. I got out in front right away so I avoided the crowds, and I stayed pretty wide of the bouys. After the first turn I drafted off somebody for a little while, something I rarely do, then I broke off and just fell into a nice steady pace. I tried not to drink the water (yuck), tried to maintain a nice long easy stroke with a good glide, and tried to avoid sprinting to keep my heart rate in a nice moderate range. I came out of the water around 22 minutes and felt calm and relaxed as I ran into T1.
Transition 1
  • 03m 47s
Comments:

T1 was ok for me. Wetsuit came off fairly easily, but all my gear was covered in trash bags because of the rain, so finding things was a little hard. I took a few extra seconds to re-organize and cover up my running shoes so they would be dry when I got back from the bike ride. I still put on my socks and bike shoes in T1 instead of on the moving bike so that always costs me a minute or so.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 12s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 18.60 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a PR for this bike ride for me, averaging just over 18.5 mph. I'd ridden the course a couple times this year and many times in previous years so I'm starting to feel a little bit of a home field advantage to this ride. The first 8 miles of this race are the most difficult for me due to the 3 longer climbs around miles 3.5, 5.5, and 6.5, so I just settled in and climbed, coming out of my aerobars as much as I needed to stay strong. The second section of the course is faster, so I worked on making up as much time as possible in the big chain ring. The hill at Green Bridge seemed to fly by and I felt strong as I headed back through the last 8 miles of the race. I made up more time and a few places in my age group on the long descent from the traffic circle at Tridelphia Mill Road. The sprint back along Rt 108 was uneventful and I rolled into T2 feeling good.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Like T1, T2 was slow. Helmet, gloves, shoes off. Running shoes, shades, number belt, and fuel belt on. I took a little extra time to finish off my Accelerade bottle that I didn't finish on the bike and I decided to put on a fuel belt with my own hydration instead of using the aid stations on the run course. I also took a few extra seconds to stretch my lower back which was feeling the effects of being in an aero position for over an hour. These little extras were intended to make my run stronger, and in retrospect, I think the extra time was worth it.
Run
  • 50m 10s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

This was without a doubt the best run I've had in triathlon. In the back of my mind I wanted to come close to my previous PR in this course (around 53:00) but I would have been happy holding 9 min/mile pace and coming in around 55/56 minutes. So at the end of mile 1 (during which I stopped for 30 sec. to 'de-hydrate'!) I was happy to see and 8:43. After mile 2, when my split came up as a 7:49 I knew I was going to do well. Knowing miles 3 and 4 are the hardest parts of the course, I aimed at holding a pace as close to 8 minutes as possible. Some time around mile 4 I know I was well on pace for a PR and I just kept going for it. I did not walk any aid stations, instead opting to carry accerlarade on my fuel belt. I passed a number of runners in my age group and only got passed by one or two.
Post race
Event comments:

My best race to date - a nearly perfect day for me. This was my 4th time in this race and I set a PR by nearly 6 full minutes. Couldn't have asked for anything more.

Last updated: 2007-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:54 | 1500 meters | 01m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/186
Overall: 88/968
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless wetsuit
Course: Modified counter-clockwise rectangle. Begins in-water off the pier next to the boat ramp, finishes on the 'beach' next to the ampitheater.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:47
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:22:12 | 25.48 miles | 18.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 89/186
Overall: 274/968
Wind: Little
Course: This course is one of my all-time favorite rides, and it is known for its abundant climbs. It is a constantly rolling course with some 40+mph downhills and some pretty steep climbs. Today it rained lightly during a long stretch of the ride, so the roads were very wet.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:10 | 06.21 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 74/186
Overall: 346/968
Mile 1: 8:43; Mile 2: 7:49; Mile 3: 8:15; Mile 4: 8:15; Mile 5: 7:47; Mile 6: 7:48
Course: 10K course around Centennial lake and surrounding neighborhoods. There are several major climbs on this course, starting with a moderate climb in the first 1/4 mile. The remainder of miles 1 and 2 are gently rolling park trails. Miles 3 and 4 have the most hills as you climb out of the park and enter the surrounding neighborhood. Mile 5 has one tough climb as you exit the neighborhood, and Mile 6 has on tough climb as you re-enter the park. The last mile is fast and mostly flat to the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-21 10:44 AM

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: Columbia Triathlon

2007-05-21 11:38 AM
in reply to: #809661

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon
Woohoo!!  Congrats on kickin' the races azz and setting a huge PR!  And that is an AWESOME swim time!!!
2007-05-21 11:53 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Awesome!  Congrats on the PR!

And great job holding up your pace on that run course!

2007-05-21 1:06 PM
in reply to: #809782

User image

Expert
MD
Thanks,

And good luck at Eagleman!
2007-05-23 3:43 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Great job!!!

I learned some important lessons this year so hopefully I can improve as much as you have.

Thanks for the report.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbia Triathlon Rss Feed