General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First DNF/Need Major Surf Entry Help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-21 11:39 AM

Subject: First DNF/Need Major Surf Entry Help
Well, I never thought it would happen to me, but I got my first official DNF yesterday at the Encinitas Sprint Tri. The waves got the better of me and I wasn't able to get out past them and finish the swim. I spent a good 15 minutes battling them and decided it would be better to stop before I totally tire myself out and drown, so I hitched a ride on a jet ski back to shore. By the time I got to shore, I realized I was about 100 yards south of the start line. The current was definitely strong. I was suppose to go towards the north on the swim. I still went on and finished the bike and run leg though . Regardless, it still counts as a DNF cuz of the swim. I'm so bummed about it. I'm still beating myself up for not going back to the start line and trying again. I also realize that surf entries only represent a tiny fraction of tris, but it's still a major blow to my confidence and all...

More importantly though, I'm reconsidering my plan of doing the Los Angeles Triathlon later this September as a result of this. I heard that last year the LA Tri's waves were huge and so I figured this would be good practice.

Anyone have any advice as to how to train for surf entries or any advice on how to get out past the waves? I know the basic dolphining technique and all (even though I'm not that good at it whatsoever), but was wondering what everyone else does.

2007-05-21 11:55 AM
in reply to: #809784

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: First DNF/Need Major Surf Entry Help
Dive under the waves. If it's a breaking wave, if you get under the lip before it breaks, you'll be fine. If it's whitewater, dive down to the bottom before the wave gets to you, let it roll over, adn then pop up on the other side.
2007-05-21 12:01 PM

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl

Echo what Jim said.  Just practise getting out past the breakers and then come back and do it again and again till you are comfortable.  Once you get the feeling of how to dive under the waves it will be much easier. 

Also put your goggles on under your swim cap.  It will help keep them on if you get smacked in the face by a wave. 

2007-05-21 12:09 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
I regularly swim at Moonlight Beach (Where the race was last weekend) and the conditions can be a bit challenging at times in the cove. (Sounds like last weekend was no exception)

The real issue with Moonlight is the strong currents. Onshore and Cross Currents are pretty common there (Depending on the Tide). OW Ocean swims are definitely a whole different ballgame then lake and protected lagoon swims.

Changing Swell and Wind coupled with shifting sandbars make almost every day a new and interesting experience.

Probably the best thing you can do is to get as much training time in the Ocean as you can. Learning how to Duck Dive as the other poster suggested is a very good start. Figuring out how to negotiate and deal with strong currents, Choppy/Windy conditions and moderate size Swell will be a big plus.

If you can master OWS Surf Swims, you will have a huge advantage come race day
2007-05-21 12:13 PM

User image

Regular
San Diego, CA
That was the scariest swim (or part of a swim) that I have ever done!

After 30+ Tris, this was my first DNF as well. I was in Wave 3 (the first pink wave). I stayed with the pack to the orange buoy for the first 7 minutes or so, and then 15 of us were washed about 100 yds south by a large wave and the current.

I tried swimming back towards the group, but the current was too strong. 6 or 7 of us made it back to the beach and tried again, entering the water near the last buoy, but by then most of us were too tired to face the craziness again, and turned back after reaching the sandbar.

Quite disappointing for me as well. I know what I need to work on. I'm looking forward to San Diego International and Camp Pendleton....nice calm water!
2007-05-21 12:31 PM

Regular
Huntington Beach, CA
I was there yesterday, for my first tri. I managed through (I have 11 years of competitive swimming under my belt) but it was brutal. I practiced at moonlight beach 3 times prior to yesterday's race (including Saturday evening) and it was BY FAR the worst conditions I've seen there. You were certainly not the only DNF due to the conditions as a lot of people in my wave (#3) and others I spoke with after the race (some seasoned triathletes) were in the same boat.

I had a really bad experience on a practice swim a couple weeks ago and it rattled my confidence so bad I was freaking out about the race. Suddenly I was no longer counting swimming among my strengths and didn't know if I should cancel.

Mentally it was a huge blow, I know I'm a strong swimmer but I had lost all confidence in my ability to handle the ocean. I attended a surf entry clinic and then practiced with an experienced triathlete (my BT mentor) who really spent time with me going over technique (dolphining and general getting out/coming in). They were both HUGE helps and made me feel like I could handle yesterday's wretched conditions.

My suggestion is to find someone who is more experienced than you are with the swim and have them break it down and practice with you. Then practice swimming out past the breakers as much as possible. At least for me, mentally, that's what I needed to get over the self doubt that had worked it's way into my head.

Good luck!

Edited by blondnik 2007-05-21 12:32 PM

2007-05-21 1:33 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Don't give up on the Los Angeles tri! I also attended the surf clinic at Moonlight Beach before the race. It was my first OWS and I thought I would be fine. WRONG! My body got pummeled and even worse my confidence was shattered. But just like Nikki, I got some fantastic instruction in the water form my BT mentor. We ducked under waves until I felt like a porpoise.

The waves on Sunday were huge, no doubt. I saw your wave go out and get swept to the left - it really scared us! Our wave (pink ladies 39-44) ran down the beach about 100 yards before we even entered the water. I had no problem ducking under the waves (grabbing the sand - it actually works!). You can feel the power of the wave surge above you, then I swam like crazy until the next wave, ducked down real low - practically laying on the sand if I could. I was shocked at how quickly I got out there past the surf. DON'T GIVE UP! I'm not a particularly stong swimmer, it was the tecnique that worked. Hook up with a tri-club member and try to get back out there. If I had not had that in-water practice last week with my mentor I know I would have been exhausted fighting the waves too. Don't be discouraged, you ran across the finish line despite adversity - that truly is what a triathlete is.
2007-05-23 11:14 AM
in reply to: #809868

Thanks for the helpful advice everyone!

Hopefully I'll be able to get in more practice time at Moonlight later this summer. I plan on taking up boogey boarding or surfing to help get more comfortable with the waves. I guess it's just a live and learn experience.

BlueRover - 2007-05-21 10:13 AM

I'm looking forward to San Diego International and Camp Pendleton....nice calm water!

I am too! Guess I'll be seeing you there as well!
2007-05-23 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Those two races are part of my plan too! Each race has longer and longer distances - hmmmmm, what is all this leading to?
2007-05-23 2:59 PM
in reply to: #813509

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Why don't you join us for our regular Friday Swim at Moonlight.

It is a smallish group hosted by Nytro but we usually get in a good workout. We usually go off about 7:00AM on Friday mornings. (They moved it to Saturday for the Encinitas Tri)

If you are interested, PM me or hit the Nytro site and send an RSVP to Sonja
2007-05-23 3:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarnia
I thought that officials call it if the conditions are really bad, which it sounds like they were.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First DNF/Need Major Surf Entry Help Rss Feed