Madeira Beach, Florida
United States
Madeira Beach Triathlon
Total Time = 1h 35m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Under 40 Clyde
Age Group Rank = 7/16
Pre-race routine:

Woke up right on time at 4:45. Hoped in the shower to wake up and then put the bike and gear bag in the truck. Woke up Ruth and in retro spect I should have woken Ruth up earlier but it was my fault. Then we stopped by Ruth's house because she needed to grab her bathing suit, grabbed some coffee at 7-11 and we were off (and running behind schedule). Mad beach is right in the middle of clearwater and st pete so there is no direct route to get there. So I got there and had to park very far away AND I had planned on doing packet pick up in the morning. So I grabbed my packet (got admonished for being late) and ran into transition. I hate being late. It is a huge pet peeve of mine and it just bugs me. 5 minutes here and 10 minutes there in the morning killed me. It was my fault because I forgot there was another person. I am just used to being by myself. But Ruth wanted to come and cheer me on so I welcomed that. In the end, running behind wasn't really that big of a deal.
Event warmup:

Hustling through transition and down the beach to the swim start. Saw Pete and Terri and said hi to them and waited to start.
Swim
  • 17m 43s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started out alright. I was right in the middle of the lead pack for the first half of the swim. Then my shoulder really started to bother me. Some sharp pain that I didn't want to mess with. So I backed way off and did a nice easy stroke the rest of the way. I attribute it to the dislocation last month in Arizona and the lack of training. I think the shoulder was just a little lose and when I was pressing hard it was putting to much stress on it. Felt alright once I backed way off.
What would you do differently?:

Train harder and get those stabilizing muscles in my shoulder stronger.
Transition 1
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

Alright getting shoes on and helmet glasses on. I just didn't hustle enough up the beach and had trouble finding my bike.

Find my bike instead of running through the racks. Also hustle up the beach more.
Bike
  • 45m 53s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.61 mile/hr
Comments:

Horrible first half of the bike. I had a bad side stitch (which I never get especially on the bike) and just had no energy. Just got my tail whooped the first 5 miles. I have no idea what was wrong. I was just feeling like dog S*^T. Then around mile 5 I started feeling ok and just then I saw a guy in my age group pass me. I just thought, "Screw this" and started hammering. It was like a switch went on. I suddenly felt pretty good and started getting some good speed. There was a slight decline on Park blvd and I could see about 1.5 miles down the road and it was full of bikers. I just put it in my biggest gear and cranked down. It hit 37mph and was passing a lot of people. With about 2 miles to go I spotted a pretty big guy so I knew he was in my division. I cranked it up and passed him about a mile before transistion.

??? Just couldn't go at first. Should have been on the bike more than twice since AZ
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Pretty good. second in my AG. Not much else I could have done.
Run
  • 28m 43s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I love this run course. Down Gulf blvd then you go on the beach and run back to the finish. It is nice because you can see the finish line way off in the distance along the beach and each step brings you closer.
I think I got into a decent pace early on. After about half a mile the guy I had passed with around a mile left on the bike passed me and was about 30 yards ahead. I thought, "You can't let this guy pass you". So I got another gear and caught up to him. By the time I caught him I was breathing pretty heavy. He looked back and saw me and we locked eyes, at that point we both knew we were just racing each other. Once he knew I was right behind him he started trying to lose me. I just kept sticking with him. He would go on a kick and I would keep up and he would look back and I would still be there. My plan was to stick next to him till the finish and then kick it the last 200 yrds to the finish. The good thing was we passed a few people in our age group while we were racing each other.
With about a 3/4 of a mile left he started another kick to try and lose me and this time it was pretty hard. I stuck with him again but barely. He looked back and just said "F%$K" under his breath. Then I knew I had him. The last kick had really worn him out and I felt his speed start to drop. I knew that if I lost him now he was to worn out to catch up. So I passed by and gave him my best "Lance looking back at Jan" look. I just ran the last mile with him back a little bit but still there. The last 100 yards were an all out sprint and I ended up beating him by 10 seconds.
It was really fun getting to actually race against someone in my age group that was fairly equal.

Train harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Went and found ruth and grabbed a beer and some pizza. Met one of my friends who had to pull out due to injury and some other guys who were friends of his. They asked of I was the guy who did the ironman after my shoulder disloctaed and they were impressed. It was a nice little ego boost.
After the race me and ruth went down to Pass-a-grille and stayed at the beach for a while. It was nice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Utter and Total lack of training.

Event comments:

Got to say that Phillip LaHaye puts on a great race. It is competitive while still being very newcomer friendly. Great job Mad dogs.
As far as my performance, It was fun but I know I am capable of a whole lot more. I have run once, biked twice and just splashed around in the water since I raced AZ. Hopefully this will be the kick in the A$$ I need to get going again.

Last updated: 2007-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:43 | 880 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/16
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: none
Course: half mile along the beach. Shallow course enough to stand up.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:28
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:45:53 | 15 miles | 19.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/16
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Pretty good course. Nice gradual downhil on Park.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:43 | 03.2 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/16
Performance: Average
Course: I love this running course. Down Gulf Blvd then you run back on the beach.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-05-21 1:09 PM

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl
Subject: Madeira Beach Triathlon

2007-05-21 1:57 PM
in reply to: #810012

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Madeira Beach Triathlon
Congrats, babe! Wanna do Crystal River next weekend?
2007-05-21 2:36 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

the RD is also doing MPM in July.  

nice run!! 

2007-05-21 6:18 PM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Great race and great RR. Good job getting him on the run, that is racing at its finest
2007-05-21 7:02 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great Job Rich!!!  KICK RUN!!!
2007-05-22 9:20 AM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
I totally loved reading the run part...that was so cool!  Way to stick with it!  Now it's time to kick Crystal River's !  Way to go!  Still upper half of your division so you should be proud!!  See ya Saturday!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Madeira Beach Triathlon Rss Feed