General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Tucson Racing
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 11s
Overall Rank = 307/464
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 21/48
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 3:30AM and really couldn't sleep after that, ended up getting out of bed around 4:30AM, so a wonderful 5 hours of sleep. Ate peanut butter on toast with a little gatorade and headed out the door.
Event warmup:

Got to the venue about 5:30 and found Chris(cordova61) we racked our bikes and set our stuff up near the outside of the transition area in the back. I wasn't trying for any speed record so I thought I would just stay out of peoples way and I could see Jen during transition. With some help from Jen got the bike racked and all my clothes laid out while listening to perhaps the most annoying/uninspiring/depressing music ever. They then announced over the loudspeaker that it was a wetsuit legal swim... I was happy about this but little did I know how much it would help (more about that below). After borrowing/stealing Tom(triguyfitz)'s marker to do all our body markings we got our timing chips and went to the start area.
Swim
  • 12m 22s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well the swim was definitley the part that I was the most nervous for. Standing in the starting area, all I could really think about was the swim and how I really just wanted to make it through that, no matter my time. I found some people in my wave and hung out and joked with them for a bit. Everyone was a bit confused about the course because apparently the first wave completely skipped going around a buoy. Before I knew it we were up on the platform and hopping in. It was all a bit chaotic in the water as there was only one little red baloon looking thing to mark the start. One other competitor felt that my shoulder would make a good ledge so he tried to keep himslef afloat by pushing down on me, fun times beneath the water ensued. Anyways I popped up from that and before I knew it there was some sound and everyone was off. All I remember from the first part of the swim was arms, asses, hands legs and feet. Suprisingly though I was able to stay quite calm despite the melee around me and I made my way to the outside, near the docks. At this point I was actually passing people! Mind you I have never, ever passed a soul swimming, either in OWS or in the pool. So I was pretty excited, I kept going at my own pace, grabbing a leg, arm or ass here and there. I just pretended all the asses were hot chicks despite being in the clydesdale/athena group. And before I knew it I was at the first buoy, by the time I got to the second buoy I was noticing people in different color caps which made me feel good as I was catching a few people from the previous wave. What did not make me feel good was taking a breath and having a huge mallet hand knock my skull right under water (note Tempe Town Lake tastes as bad as it looks). From there we rounded the last buoy and I tried to really slow down as I was pushing a bit to hard so I got in a comfortable stroke the way back and was back to the dock before I knew it.
What would you do differently?:

Overall the swim went better than I had planned on, I wasn't fast by any means but I stayed calm and swam at a reasonable pace. Now I have the mental factor taken care of I just need to get better at swimming overall.
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

I got out of the water fine but my heart rate was pretty dang high, mostly anxious/adrenaline at that point, but I decided to walk into transistion to lower my heart rate. It worked pretty well as I was pretty calmed down after getting to my transistion area to see Jen and Tanya(StandsWithFist). There is certainly no modesty in triathlons as I immediately begin the strip tease of the wetsuit, suprisingly the wetsuit came of VERY easy. From there put on the biking jersey and shoes (note the ratchets are kind of hard to get on) and grabbed the bike and headed off.

Not much. If I was really focused on time I would've ran in/out of transition but today it was all about keeping heartrate as low as possible.
Bike
  • 37m 6s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 20.10 mile/hr
Comments:

I LOVE MY BIKE! I have to say the bike leg was great, I was so happy despite getting out of the water to maintain a pace of over 20MPH. The bike was fantastic despite only being my second ride on it. The pavement out there is great. I only got passed 3 or 4 times during the event (once by BHannahs, he is fast). What really helped was keeping speed through the turns, alot of people would slow way down to make the turn I would move to the outside and cut right through the apex. Each time doing that I would usually pass 1-2 people. The hill on Curry was actually a bit harder than I thought it would be. Mainly because the swimming had severely limited my ability to stand to climb because my arms felt like Jello. It was super dry out there though so it felt like every 5 minutes or so I had a terrible case of cotton-mouth, I ended up drinking all of my waterbottle which was suprising for me on a 12 mile ride.

Get faster on seated climbs. I typically like to stand but it wasn't happeneing today after the swim. Also just work on getting faster, riding the bike is fun for me so I really want to excel here.
Transition 2
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

Transition 2 was pretty good, I actually came into transition just behind Brian(BHannahs) who I didn't even know at that point, went to the my rack spot and to my suprise Chris(cordova61) was there. Now at this point I was pretty tired and a bit delusional, but he was putting on his running shoes so I was super confused. He was doing the olympic distance and either he had unknowingly lapped me a few times in the bike or had finished the olympic swim in about 2 minutes. When I looked up he had his bike helmet on and I realized not everyone has clipless pedals... duh, confusion over. It was good to see Chris in transition though as well as Jen and Tanya routing everyone on. I put on the running shoes and shorts and was off.

Not much, I was taking it easy in transitions. Although at this point I did realize I was quite hungry so maybe take food on the bike.
Run
  • 33m 25s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Ugh the run. After completing the first two events I wasn't TOO worried about the run, however that level of worry soon escalated as I realized I was barely moving. It was hot out and my legs were pretty tired. I took on some Gu at the start of the run which helped but it really wasn't enough. Once we got to the first mile I was pretty drained but the next section about did me in, up a hill to some rocky, dusty access road along the lake. No shade all exposure and it was pretty miserable. Finally I saw the turnaround and honestly once I made the turn my second pair of legs arrived. I fet like after dumping some water on my head my pace really picked up. On the way back I felt pretty decent. I caught up to a fellow racer and chatted a bit about triathlons and races and stuff, and come to find out after the race it was fellow BT'er Brian(BHannahs) it is really great having people like that out on the race course that despite the heat and run can still just sort of hang out and chat while running, it really boosts the spirit and passes the time. As we were running though this guy must have been gallow-walking (sp?) and he would pass us going fast and then walk, pass us then walk. It was seriously so damn aggravating, seeing as he looked to be in the clydesdale group there was no way I was going to let him beat me so once he passed us the third time I think I said I would see Brian at the finish and took of after him. I caught him just as he was slowing down to walk and then I never saw him again thank god. From there I kept that pace right through to the finish where Tanya and Jen were cheering me on. It felt so great to finish and I was so tired but it felt great to be done with my first one.

Practice more BRICKs.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down consisted of oranges, bananas, lots of vitamin water and hanging out with fellow BT'ers which was great.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The main limiting factor for me was the run, I can run faster and with more BRICK workouts I will. My swim is slow but I just started so that was to be expected.

Event comments:

Overall it was a great first race, I really appreciated the support of everyone there. It has been especially good staying motivated with the OWS with ESCKTC out at Saguaro Lake as that helped me alot in staying calm in the water. The event was put on pretty well overall despite the overbearing/anal race director. Now I am ready to train harder and get ready for the next one.

Last updated: 2007-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:22 | 437 yards | 02m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/48
Overall: 299/464
Performance: Good
Suit: WetZoot sleeveless
Course: Start in Tempe Beach Park, east to underneath Mill bridge, north and then back to Tempe Beach Park.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:14
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:06 | 12.43 miles | 20.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/48
Overall: 195/464
Wind: Little
Course: Around Tempe Town Lake: west on Rio Salado, north on Priest, east on Curry, south on Rural, west on Rio Salado. 2 laps.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:25 | 03.11 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/48
Overall: 305/464
Performance: Below average
Course: From Tempe Beach east along Tempe Town Lake until the dam and back.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-05-21 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
Big Bear City, California
Subject: Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon

2007-05-21 2:30 PM
in reply to: #810142

Pro
AZ
Subject: RE: Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon

You did so awesome!!! First time jitters and all!!!  See..you survived the swim, and it wasn't so bad!  And look at ME! I am a rock start supporter!!!

Ok...that's it....Thursday is a swim/run brick.  We'll be ON TIME swim for a pre-determined amount of time, then everyone out and on the run!!  It will be fun! 

2007-05-21 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Great job, Josh!! And thanks for not embarrassing me too bad with your second set of legs when you went ahead! I think I know the guy you're talking about - red St. Louis Cardinals hat? We yo-yo'd with him for a while. You had a great first effort - nothing to do now but get even faster!!
2007-05-21 2:49 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

CONGRALUTATIONS triathlete! Awesome job Robot on your first tri!

Not many people are willing to get in TTL for their first tri, you were brave. If it helps, I swallowed a bunch of TTL water last weekend and I'm still ok

Your bike speed is awesome- glad the new bike worked out for you and I felt your pain on the run.

You and Jen have a lot to be proud of and I'm looking forward to seeing you guys out there soon   

2007-05-21 2:52 PM

User image

Elite
the desert
Great job and way to finish strong.
2007-05-21 3:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Great job, and an OWS on your first tri...awesome!

2007-05-21 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
Wandering through AZ

Great job Josh! It's amazing what a nice new bike, or a little something like an annoying yoyo runner, will do to get the blood going and bring you in to the finish.

2007-05-21 5:14 PM

User image

Regular
Phoenix, AZ
Great job on your first tri. The run along the lake was especially tough yesterday
2007-05-27 12:27 AM

User image

Master
That was a great Race Report Josh!  I know you had to pass a ton of people on the bike.  I need to pick your brain as to how to get faster.   To do this well on your first tri is amazing.  Way to go!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed