United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 17s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

didn`t sleep well due to over excitment. Got up at 3.45 and took a shower. Ate a bagel with peanut butter, took vitamins and an extra vitaminB.
Event warmup:

The race brief told us we could park in Ala Moana shopping centers car park, got there and they had chained up all the entrances. So people were driving around streets looking for a park. I was starting to panic by 5am and I still could not find a legal place to park. Well, eventually I did, right outside of a 24 hour adult entertainment "place" (if ya know whad I mean). There were some shady folks out front but I quickly grabed my bag and ran down the street. The transition area was to close at 5.45am, I found a fellow athelete and together we walked to the race and talked and laughed at each other. Once there I found "naners" who was a volunteer and she did my race number marking.....thanks naners, it sure was good to see a friendly face!!!
Found my bike and set up, took a salt tablet and headed down to the swim start to see the elites. WOW, it was awesome to see all those professional athletes. Their swim was great, man they can move! Andy Potts of course was just sailing and he won the swim and the whole race. I cheered extra hard for the Aussies though and was real proud. I then went over to the swim exit and cheered them on as they went thru the shoot to the transition. I watched them all transition and was blown away by their speed at changing. Also, they have just the bear essentials, no towles, no foot bath...nothing. I also stayed and watched the age groupers, some were just as good as the elites and others I learnt some lessons in what not to do. Saw some of the male elites come back from the bike and transition into the run....holly cow, blink and eye lid and you would have missed it. By then it was 7am and I decided to warm up. I found a nice grassy patch and did some sprints, stretching, paddled in the water and then lay down and visualised. Found my family and lined up for the swim. I was buzzing...
Swim
  • 08m 4s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was happy with my navigation, best OW swim for me yet! I know it says I did 400 in 8 min, but that includes a run up the beach in soft sand to the timeing mats before running thru the shoot. So I def` did a PB for the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing!
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

I know this looks like a timely transition, but it includes a long run from the beach to the bike. I mean LONG!

Nothing, did a great transition and got out and onto my bike really well. It was very handy to have seen alot of people earlier doing it, I knew exactly where to go and what was going to happen just by watching and learning.
Bike
  • 36m 50s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.55 mile/hr
Comments:

WOW, my bike time rocked. Another PB for me. I felt SO good on the bike, I kept telling myself to take it easy knowing the dreaded run was ahead of me. I took a Hammer gel just after half way (first time in a race), drank water and a sports drink.
I kept my focus really well this time, felt like only a handful of people passed me. I was very concerned though at around mile 5 a guy had come off his bike and was in a bad state. He was flat out on the road with cops around him. It sure looked bad. On the way back I witnessed an ambulance putting him in the back. It was so hard not to stop and ask if he was okay, but I had to keep going and try to forget that sight until the end of the race.

Not much, I was super happy with my ride. Although i do need to practise using my new bottle holder. I had a few problems getting the drink in and out. Oh, also, my race number on the bike kept moving around and scratching my leg. So, next time I stick that bugger onto the bike so it wont move.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Okay, I messed up here. I couldn`t find my rack. I went to the wrong one, and it cost me a good 10-15seconds....AAHHHRRRR. But, I transitioned really well. The bike entrance was at the complete opposite end to the run exit and so once again my time looks long, but that is mostly because of the time it take to get to the rack and then all the way out to the run exit.
All I could think of was if I was going to cramp up on the run or not...I was so scared and worried about it. At this stage I knew my swim and bike were really good and the run was just a terrible thought.

Remember where my tranistion spot is!! So mad at myself for that.
Run
  • 40m 10s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I kept telling myself to go out easy and not try to set a PR on the run. So I took it easy for the first mile, picked up the pace and tried to keep steady for the next mile. At the turn around I felt pretty good and suddenly realised NO CRAMPS......Wow, so I picked up the pace a little bit more and felt like I was really moving. I was so happy I wasnt in excrusiating pain and I could push myself. It was SO SO HOT!!I also realised that 25min into the run that this course was off in distance. Then, I saw what I thought was the finish line and started sprinting full out and giving everything left....well, got there and it was the 1/2 mile left water station....I about dropped dead. Had to find it in my mind to keep going and to get back into the race....I did, just, and finaly made it to the real finish line. I forgot to smile (sorry Ernie) because I was just mad about the fake finish. Will be suprised to see my finish photo.

Well, know where the bloody finish line is going to be next time!! DuH!

Post race
Warm down:

Drank 2 bottles of water and a gaterade. Found family, and walked around. Found some shade and stretched. Looked for the results but couldn`t find them. Heard over the speaker that they were going to post the resutls soon, so went back over after getting my transition stuff to hubby`s car (mine was to far away with the strippers...), but they were taking to long to post them and I thought that there was no way I would place anyway so went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, I was peaking for this race. I still have alot of work to do on with my running and I am looking fw to doing some 10k`s in the near future.

Event comments:

This race is recommended in every way, so many levels out there racing! Anyone would fit in and feel comfortable, lots of people giving out encouragement.
After lunch I went on line to check the results, OMG, I about fell off my seat when I saw my results. I think the whole neighborhood knows I got 1st in my age group. It sure was an inspiring day and a day I shall never forget. I learnt alot out there, good things and not such good things. It was totally awesome fun!!!
Couldn`t wait to tell you guys, my friends here at BT, thanks for all your advice and help. Obviously I need nutrition for a sprint, I`m sure thats what kept the cramps away; so without all of your help I would have never worked that out.
The only time I will probably get a 1st place and I WENT HOME>>>AAHHHHhrrrrrrrr

Last updated: 2007-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:04 | 400 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: A run start (first time for me). I decided to line up in the front, and I am so glad I did. I noticed the elites doing the dolphin dives into the water and i did the same, I had learnt this move at an OW clinic I went to about 2 years ago. It gave me a good head start, and I felt like I was leading the swim for the first 50m or so. Started passing the slower men and then I was great, felt so strong. But, the last 100m I kept telling myself to take it easy as I didn`t want to blow the race on a fast swim. But, I must admit I was so pumped and excited to be out there.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:38
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:50 | 12 miles | 19.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/8
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back. The park had speed bumps to get over, lots of them. Most people seemed to ride on the side to avoid them, I did a couple of times also. The road out was smooth sailing, but I had to slow down on the way in to avoid some terrible surfaces. Dangerous at times.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:10 | 03.1 miles | 12m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/8
Course: OKAY, now, this was NOT a 5k. This was at least 4.5 miles. If you don`t believe me take a look at the results and you`ll see the winner took 29minutes to run this course. It was way to long!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-21 2:41 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
Subject: Honolulu Triathlon

2007-05-21 3:07 PM
in reply to: #810243

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Honolulu Triathlon
Do you still get the medal?  So glad you did not get cramps, I do hammer gel now too and I think that's what kept me going at Lanikai! So proud of you, great race! 
2007-05-21 4:29 PM

User image

Hawai'i
Awesome race Tizzy. The run distance shows 4.1 miles on the results page. I was definitely surprised at how long the run felt. I kept waiting for the finish line to get there but instead the path just kept heading south and out toward the water.

Sounds like you did a great job managing yourself for the whole race. Congratulations on your first place win.
2007-05-21 6:38 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Tizzy,

Congratulations on a great race!  You're amazing and I'm sure that your family was really proud of you.  I guess now you know that you have to stay for all the award ceremonies. 

Ernie

2007-05-21 8:35 PM

User image

Regular
Kaneohe,Hawaii

Great job, way to represent the Hawaii/Aussie crew!

Aloha,

Matt 

2007-05-22 1:11 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Way to go on the race!  Two personal bests AND first in your age group?!?  What a day for you.  I'm sorry I missed your finish.  What's next for you?

2007-05-22 5:28 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
WOW! First in your age group! Congratulations!

Looks like an all around great race!
2007-05-23 6:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane

Hey there Legend!!!

1st in your age group is so very very cool!!!

Great work mate, so pretty in pink.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Honolulu Triathlon Rss Feed