General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Tucson Racing Inc.
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 23m 26s
Overall Rank = 400/452
Age Group = Clydes
Age Group Rank = 28/35
Pre-race routine:

Friday carbo load
Saturday ate dinner no later than 6:30PM. Prepped the bike, pre-greased the toes of my socks, packed the things, got a new aerodynamic haircut, and fell into a medically assisted sleep by 8:45.
Woke up shortly after 4AM. Breakfast consisted of oatmeal, a banana, and coffee. After a shower, sunscreen, and one last checklist of the things, I packed the car and headed off to the races.
I found Chris and Josh in the transition area, and we racked the bikes together. I arranged my stuff, broke out the WFP200 to inflate the tires, went through one more mental transition walk-through to make sure I had everything, got my body markings, and headed for the RR line. Know thy own digestive system should be a triathlete's motto.
Event warmup:

Minor stretching and loosten up only. I tend to use the swim and each event's 1st mile as a warmup.
Swim
  • 34m 37s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

The race organizer was a little disorganized in getting instructions out and getting people in the water on time. As a result we got off late and many people missed the fact that they had to round the last bouy on the inside. Overall though it went pretty well. Water conditions were average, and the bouys were well placed for spotting.
What would you do differently?:

Swim a little straighter. I arced the 2 bouys down by the dam, probably adding a minute to my time. Also I could have been a little more dilligent in finding and holding drafts.
Transition 1
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

Pretty good T1 in my book.

In retrospect I think I would have done better to bring an extra hand towel or foot wash to get the sticks and grass off my feet. I wear socks, so those little irritants were with me for the rest of the race.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 9s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.38 mile/hr
Comments:

Good bike overall. The highlight was the guy offering Krispy Kremes as he blew by everyone. I don't know if he was just having fun or trying to make a statement about everyone he passed, but it still got a giggle out of me. The low point was the bike accident. I hope the person is ok. It's always a dreadful feeling when you realize that sirens are heading to the race course.

I may have pushed the HR a little to much, but it felt good. The bike is the one part of the race where I actually "Race". I got overzealous on the second lap and started pushing the big ring. Looking at the splits it didn't help my speed at all, so I should have kept the cadence up in the little ring and saved the muscles for running.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Good quick T2. I even took a few to get on some extra sunscreen.
Run
  • 1h 31m 14s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 14m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't expecting mutch from this run, but wow was that bad. Early on I assessed what HR I could hold, and found that I couldn't. I had to interval run/walk the whole 10K. I ran, working the breath and relaxing the form as much as possible, until I hit 170. Then I walked until it got down to 145. I walked over the Curry hill.

Bring some electrolyte tabs.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around, light stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Burned too hot on the bike. I should have averaged a HR about 10-15 BPM lower. I'm still looking for that magic workout to simulate how my legs feel on a triathlon run. Bricks don't do it, and I fear I'm going to keep walking my tri runs until I figure this out.

Event comments:

Instead of a comments section here I'm going to add a ranting section. I'm actually a little suprised that this race went as well as it did. The race organizer is apparently infamous for fantastic failures. (Racing through raw sewage in the streets of Rocky Point for example) The most notable failures this time around were a lack of communication and a lack of sports drink. The main announcer, I assume the director, was one the worst I've ever worked with. The pre-race briefing gave unclear and contradictory information. His tone was consistently condescending. He took the mike while people were finishing and quashed their accomplishments by yelling at kids. So instead of people hearing for example, "Number 480 Harry Meier, congratulations!" they heard this guy yelling at people. The volunteers and secondary support crew were the saving grace as they seemed to know how to talk to people and keep everyone hydrated and moving. The support staff made up for the incorrect info by giving correct information where needed.
In my opinion though, the cardinal sin of race organizers is a lack of sports drink. Any race longer than 1hr or in heat greater than 80 degrees must provide electrolyte replacment at aid stations. i.e. ALL TRIATHLONS. I think USAT should have this in their requirements to be a sanctioned event. There was a real danger of hyponatremia out there. There were a few coolers of Gatorade at the finish, but by then it was too late. The temps on the course reached over 90, no communication was given about only water being available, and people were hurting because of it. As an experienced chap, I made sure I had enough of my own stuff on hand, but beginners should beware.

Last updated: 2007-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:37 | 1640 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/35
Overall: 0/452
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shorts and a HRM
Course: Rectangular course under the Mill Ave bridge, turning left, crossing the lake, turning left again, out almost to the western dam, 2 more lefts and back to the start. The last bouy had to be passed on your left before turning right to swim to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:28
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:13:09 | 24.85 miles | 20.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/35
Performance: Average
Exit T1 + Lap1 - 19:11 Avg Hr 159 Lap2 - 17:07 Avg Hr 161 Lap3 - 17:48 Avg Hr 160 Lap4 + Enter T2 - 18:47 Avg Hr 161
Wind: None
Course: 4 laps from Tempe park west on Rio Salado to Priest. From there it was a clockwise rectangle up to Washington, over to Scottsdale, back down to Rio Salado, and over to the start.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:31:14 | 06.21 miles | 14m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/35
Performance: Bad
1 - 13:21 Hr 162 Max 175 2 - 15:27 Hr 159 Max 174 3 - 13:42 Hr 160 Max 171 4 - 15:26 Hr 155 (Hill Walk) 5 - 14:30 Hr 148 (Downhill + Park) Max 171 6.2 - 16:50 Hr 159 Max 175
Course: Out and back 5K along the south shore of Tempe Town Lake. The surface was a mix of gravel and sidewalks, so impact was lessened. 10K runners then turned over the Mill Ave bridge and went up to Curry. A right turn took us over a hill, and down into a park where 2 more right turns brought us back to the north side of the lake. We followed the lake shore again back to Mill Ave where we climbed a staircase to the bridge surface. From there it was back over around and unde rthe bridge to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2007-05-21 2:48 PM

User image

Expert
Wandering through AZ
Subject: Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2007-05-21 3:25 PM
in reply to: #810262

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Great work yesterday! Awesome job in the heat!
2007-05-21 3:41 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great job on the swim and the bike!

Yea, I always have this thing happen in races... I get a horrible side cramp when I hit the run. Although, it happens in training too now days. I then end up doing a walk/run combo, and I want to run the entire way!

You will find the magic formula that will let you go to the run... and run.

Thanks to training with a side cramp, I can run a 10-11 minute mile with my fingers jabbed in my side. HA!

Sorry to hear about the race director. Blah.
2007-05-21 3:43 PM

Pro
AZ
I agree...the raced was jacked up!!  BUT....dispite it all you kept with it and did a great job!!! 
2007-05-21 5:13 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Sorry about the race organization! Sounds like you still pulled out an awesome performance. You r bike was FAST!

Great race  

2007-05-21 9:43 PM

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
AHH an infamous Harry rant - warranted but still fun to read! Was fun to watch you ZIP through transitions. We laughed at how you were the only racer to just laugh at us and run off. "What no idle chit chat in transition from Harry?" HA! Good fun! I cannot believe there were no electrolytes on the course. While my race had only one aid station it AT LEAST had Gatorade Endurance.

OH that RD was BAD BAD! I agree, I was at the finish for 20 minutes and he would yank the mike from the 2 NICE women calling peoples names to say "DONT GET YOUR BIKE OUT OF TRANSITION! RARRRR!"

OK well anyway you rocked! WAY TO GO!!!

2007-05-22 9:34 PM

User image

Master

Way to go Harry!  I knew you'd do well on the bike and you flew on the bike!  Seeing you on the run really upped my spirits.  It was a TERRIBLE run with the heat and no gatorade.  Everyone I talked to complained about not being able to RUN the run because they kept cramping up. (myself included

I couldn't agree more about not being provided any kind of electrolytes during the race.  I guess taking forever on the bike saved me from having to listen to the race director. 

I have to say that the trumpeter's rendition of the "Star Spangled Banner" brought tears to everyone's eyes.  Someone needs to tell that guy that kazzoo lessons don't prepare you for the Trumpet.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed