General Discussion Race Reports! » Peachtree City International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Peachtree City International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Peachtree City, Georgia
United States
Tri4gold
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 17m 24s
Overall Rank = 177/210
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 7/9
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30, left the house at 5:00 with a couple of Bannanas, apples and gatorade in hand. Britni slept walked to the car and slept on the way and until 15 min before the race.
Event warmup:

I ran a little bit to get my HR to 125. I thought that was enough. I played around in the water to get a picture for a cool avatar that I have in mind.

Swim
  • 37m 1s
  • 1640 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had a terrible time getting started. I must have started out too fast. within the first couple hundred meters, I started having difficulty breathing. It was so bad, I considered getting in a boat and riding back to shore. I find it very disconcerting to be in deep dark water while having difficulty breathing. I have had this happen a couple of times. Once I have trouble breathing, it takes a long time to get it worked out. I treaded water a while and contemplated my situation. I decided to get to next bouy whether on my back or grabbing someone's foot and letting them pull me or however I could make it. This is where I first notice that there was apprently a very steep incline at the beginning of the course. I floated on my back as I eased my way toward the next bouy as I looked for a foot to grab. I got to the next bouy, rest and contemplated my next move. I decided to head on. I still could not breathe properly. I continued this until I was halfway through the course. My breathing got progressively better as the hill flattened out. The second half was all downhill and I took off like a torpedo, but alas it was too late to make a reasonable time. I went to stand up at the end and my calves cramp very painfully.

All-in-all. I met my swimming goal. I did not drown... so that is a good thing to most people who know me.
What would you do differently?:

I need to figure out this breathing thing. I am thinking that I should warm up really hard until I have trouble breathing. I think this would make me start at a better pace/place. I am going to work on breathing in the pool too.
Transition 1
  • 03m 50s
Comments:

I seem to be pretty slow in the transistions. Who cares at this point. I feel like I am going fast, but Britni said that I looked very leisurely during my transitions. That is my zen Buhda thing showing.

Don't know. If I ever get serious about this, I should ponder my transisitons.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 31s
  • 25 miles
  • 17.96 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt that I did ok on the bike. I averaged 18.4 at St. Anthony's and 18 here. I thought I would have been faster because there was a whole lot more downhill here than at St. Anthony's. ;)

My legs cramped several different times on the bike. This has never happended to me before. The only times that I have cramped in the past were just after the bike during the start of the run.

Probably nothing, maybe start out faster.
Transition 2
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

I was faster in transition than St. Anthony's. What can I say?

I do not know. I have more important things to worry about.
Run
  • 1h 10m 24s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I suppose it is time for me to start working on running. This may come as a big surprise considering my blazing speed on the run, but I did not pass one single solitary person...not one. The bright side is that I got to admire the backside of several very attractive women as they passed me. ;)

I did however finish 5 1/2 minutes faster than I did at St. Anthony's (If I have this figured out correctly, I will have my run time down to zero in twelve races). This is a surprise to me also because it was such a nice and sunny day at St. Anthony's and we had to run under the trees at Peachtree. I also was able to run right into the port-a-potty and did not have to wait for the two women to do their makup. The bathroom break gave my legs time to stop cramping. I did not have anymore trouble with my calves after the port-a-potty stop.

Nothing really considering that I have not been running. This is only the third time that I have run six miles at one time in many years. The second was St. Anthony's.

I do think that I will start working on my running a little if my back allows.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training... Garbage in Garbage out. My real goal all along has been to slowly get back into shape. I am doing that. I am in no hurry. I basically want to have fun and I am doing that. I want to get a little better each month until I can not get any better. At that point, I want to slow my rate of decline as much as possilbe.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed the race. The BBQ afterward was great. It was as good as the BBQ that I went to that night which was a pre-wedding party. UMMM UMMM BBQ twice in one day. ;)

I finished 2 minutes and four seconds slower than St. Anthony's. Considering how desperately I struggled on the first half of the swim, I was satisfied with that. I am improving... that is what I am looking for.

Oh yeah, and I liked the T-shirt.

Last updated: 2007-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:01 | 1640 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 0/210
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: The first half of the swim course apparently had a steep incline. It was either flat or downhill on the way back.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:50
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:31 | 25 miles | 17.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 9/210
Wind: Little
Course: I like the bike course. It was basically rolling hills. It is not as difficult as the Roswell Loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:10:24 | 06.21 miles | 11m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/9
Overall: 9/210
Course: Fairly flat on golf cart trails. Lots of shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-21 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Subject: Peachtree City International Triathlon

2007-05-21 3:34 PM
in reply to: #810282

User image

Expert
BFE
Subject: RE: Peachtree City International Triathlon
Great job Neal. I hate the damn uphill portions of the swims.
2007-05-21 3:39 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
You may not have won this race, but you did write the best race report! Enjoyed hanging out with you guys at the race. Congrats on a great race!
2007-05-21 7:42 PM

User image

Regular
Lilburn, GA
Terrific Race Report and race.  Sorry you had trouble in the swim.  I like the zen Buddha thing during transitions.    I think a nice state of "calm with urgency" or something like that is the way to be.  Not my usual panic mode.
2007-05-21 7:59 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Great race Neal.  You really are showing great improvements. 

A few pieces of unsolicited advice:

--get out of the pool and practice OWS.  It gets better with time
--Practice transitions.  Did you take a nap in T1? 
--Nice job finding a nice attractive woman on the run.  However, find one that is faster than you and use it as motivation to get moving!!!

Congrats!

2007-05-21 8:00 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Great job Neal!! You will get that run down yet!

2007-05-22 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Nice work, Neal! I hate swimming uphill! (and I know exactly what you mean )
2007-05-22 12:07 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
So George really wasn't kidding about those hills in the lake, huh?  Great race report, Neal.  I think you have a really good attitude about these races - you push yourself but not too hard.  Good to see you!
2007-05-22 3:34 PM

User image

Master

"The bright side is that I got to admire the backside of several very attractive women as they passed me. "

That hits too close to home.

This was one of the best RR that I have ever read.

2007-05-22 8:41 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

This was one of my favorite lines from your great race report:

"I did however finish 5 1/2 minutes faster than I did at St. Anthony's (If I have this figured out correctly, I will have my run time down to zero in twelve races). "

If you figure out how to bring your run down to zero - I REALLY want you to share your secret!

You did a great job and met all your goals! Congratulations and beware of those uphills swims!

2007-05-22 9:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Well Neal, though I'm new and don't know a whole lot - I have to say you certainly put the "fun" back into "triathofun"

2007-05-23 8:32 AM
in reply to: #812805

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
POP,

I am basically new also. I started last year and did three sprints. Peachtree was my second event (I hesitate to call it a race for me anyway) this year. I did the St. Anthony's OLY also. I decided that I needed to get back in shape last year so my main goals are to get in better shape and have a good time. I try not to get too serious as far as the mental aspect goes.

BTW, very cool avatar. Who is that or whose work is that?

Edited by nealphelps 2007-05-23 8:36 AM
2007-05-23 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
They had BBQ? I am so there next year. Great job, Neal, especially sticking with it in uphill water. There's something about going under in a not-so-clear lake that gets me too! And cool new avatar!
2007-05-23 12:01 PM

Regular
Bangalore, Karnataka
Neal,

That has to be the funnies Race Report i have read... Love your sense of humor and your attitude about these races (at some level, I feel the same way)..

Avinash
2007-05-23 1:06 PM
in reply to: #813099

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
nealphelps - 2007-05-23 9:32 AM

POP,

I am basically new also. I started last year and did three sprints. Peachtree was my second event (I hesitate to call it a race for me anyway) this year. I did the St. Anthony's OLY also. I decided that I needed to get back in shape last year so my main goals are to get in better shape and have a good time. I try not to get too serious as far as the mental aspect goes.

BTW, very cool avatar. Who is that or whose work is that?

Well - You help keep all of us not taking ourselves to seriously in something that we're trying to enjoy -- That's a good thing!

The avatar's just a picture I found that I thought fit me well (sort of - I am an old hippie...)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peachtree City International Triathlon Rss Feed