Start 2 Finish, Inc.
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 44m 39s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 123/168
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 4:30am after getting at best 2 1/2 hours of sleep. Unfortunately, baby Reed chose tonight to throw one of his rare fits and keep me up waaaaaaaaaaaaayy too late. In fact, I had to resport to getting up and dressed and putting him in the truck for a long ride on the highway to finally get him off to sleep.

Breakfast consisted of two bananas, OJ and two slice of whole grain raisin bread. Then it was off in the truck foe the 45-minute drive to Millington for the race. We arrived right at 6am, giving me plenty of time to get the family situated and get set up in transition.
Event warmup:

Between the format of the race (athletes going off one by one, every 3 seconds) and keeping the family happy, I just couldn't get in any kind of warm-up. I would like to have at least taken a dip in the water, but that wasn't possible because they closed the lake at 7am and I didn't go of until around 8:30. All I did was some minor stretching.
Swim
  • 28m 38s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

At 28:38, I'm really happy with my performance, especially considering this was my first OWS and first time in a wetsuit this season (it just wasn't going to happen at this time in Wisconsin any earlier.)
What would you do differently?:

Even though I was satisfied with my time, I definitely left some extra seconds-- if not minutes-- on the course. My navigation was pretty shi++y, often meandering to my right. I probably also need to focus more on stretching ahead and swimming in the first quadrant. That's basically nitpicking on a solid performance though. I also tried to stand up too early and got stuck in the muck before reaching the concrete of the boat drop-off. That sucked.
Transition 1
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

I definitely left some time here, mostly because I'm just out of practice. I had a little trouble with getting the wetsuit off, and I forgot to unzip it at my calves which made things harder. Also, one thing that may have hurt me later was losing an electrolyte gelpack that I had taped to my top tube somehow during transition. i really could have used the extra calories and electrolytes and I think it cost me later on the run. I found the gel at my transition spot after the race, so I'm not sure how it came off.

I have to unzip my wetsuit at the calves right away and probably practice running in my wetsuit. I also need to figure a better way to secure my gels to my bike than duct tape.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 38s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.11 mile/hr
Comments:

Official race results show my average as 20.8, so I'm not sure which figure is accurate. The fact is, this was a great performance for me so early in the season, especially considering I have as yet done no real speed training for shorter course yet this year. If I'm going to nitpick, I may have gotten too excited about my speed on this flat course and hammered a little too hard which may have hurt me for the run. However, the more I consider things, i think my sucky run was due to poor nutrition and insufficient electrolytes.

I was actually surprised to see my age ranking was so low considering how I felt I did. however, this was an extremely competitive field, probably the most competitive I've ever raced in. That also meant the tweaked out, all-carbon, racing disc-decked out bikes were out in force. I felt some serious bike inadequacy after this one, not even having aerobars on my trusty road steed.

I kept a good high cadence and was good about resiting doing too much mashing.

The only thing I'd do differently is upgrade to a tweaked out bike. I think it's just getting to that point.
Transition 2
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

This transition was just piss poor for me at the point I've reached. Someone laid their wetsuit across my wheel holder, so that cost me time. i also had to dig in my bag for a gel to make up for the one I lost, then gulp it down with Gatorade, and I basically just farted away time.

Next time, I won't lose a gel and I'll just move it quicker.
Run
  • 59m 10s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Da**, where to begin? Right from the get go, I knew it wasn't going to be my day on the run. I'd done only one brick this season and that hurt me, although I knew what to expect. I just felt like I had nothing in the tank from the start, which I blame on inadequate nutritiion and losing that gel pack. I also think I have to begin experimenting with electrolyte nutritional supplements, especially to prepare for the HIM.

The hills just killed me and wound up walking up three of them which I don't ever have to do. A couple of times I couldn't help it because my hamstrings just cramped up into knots I could actually feel. I kind of expected this was going to happen as the same thing happened Saturday while playing with Rainer in the hotel pool, even though I was drinking Gatorade all day in prep for the race. That's a nutritional issue I have to address.

My heartrate was also up over LT consistently and I couldn't get it down, which I think is partly symptomatic of not being used to the heat. Just really, really disappointed in this run and it cost me a PR.

I've got to experiment with better nutrition (e-caps, etc.) and make a point of doing bricks now that it's getting warmer outside. I should also run more hills. I also noticed that mentally I was just not on top of my game. Normally, there is no way I would allow myself to walk, but between the cramping and heat, I gave in.
Post race
Warm down:

Warmdown? I stopped, keeled over and nearly puked.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Biggest limiters were not being used to the heat, not doing bricks and possibly going a little hard on the bike. I also need to figure out my nutrition.

Event comments:

For me, this was kind of a bittersweet race to begin the year. On one hand, I'm very happy with my swim and bike. I guess I also have to be happy I came within 20-seconds of my Oly PR during my first race of the season.

On the other hand, I left a lot of time on the course and my run absolutely sucked, considering how much I have worked to improve it. I was in position to blow my previous PR out of the water and start the season on a real high note, not to mention boost my confidence going into my first HIM, which is now just 8 weeks away. Instead, I am left with some issues and ???'s I'm going to have to address going forward.

The race itself was a terrific event, very well organized. The after-party was also great with a fantastic food spread, including Corky's BBQ. There was even live music. If I do it again with the family, I'll have to remember to pack a tent to provide them a base and some shade which was a rare commodity on the grounds. A few more toys for the guys would also be a good idea.

Last updated: 2007-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:38 | 1640 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 113/168
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: promotion wetsuit
Course: The course was laid out in a triangle within the perimeter of the small inland lake. The water was extremely silty and dark-- a very rude awakening when I first charged in (as if I wasn't already apprehensive enough when I saw two snakes patrolling the shorline the day before!) It took a while before I was comfortable and could focus on my stroke. Sighting was also made difficult by the low sun at the first turn.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:09
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:10:38 | 24.85 miles | 21.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 120/168
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Flat, flat, flat, baby. When I asked some Tenneseans about the course, they referred to a "couple of hills, especially right at the beginning." Yeah, right. Apparently they don't know what real hills are-- I'll have to have 'em up to Holy Hill sometime. Pavement was maybe a little rough, but nice. And there were several long straightaway when I was able to flat out hammer despite the crosswinds.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:05
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:59:10 | 06.21 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 126/168
Performance: Bad
Course: I can only describe the run course as hot, undulating, hot and hilly. And hot. The rolling nature of this course was something I just haven't run before and I didn't deal well with it. The little ups and downs just seemed to kill me and make the heat I also wasn't prepared for even worse.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-21 3:00 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: Memphis in May

2007-05-21 7:11 PM
in reply to: #810303

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Memphis in May
Great race! Those swim and bike times are smokin! As for the run, it is not really fair to stick us Northerners out there in those hot conditions this early in the season. Hell it was in the 40's here on Sunday. I think it is going to be an awesome season for you!
2007-05-21 7:32 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Well you rocked on the bike and swim.. a little more running and you will be kickin butt

Sounds lkie a fun race!!

2007-05-22 9:14 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Dont discount the need for heat acclimation.  That is a stellar effort in the early season and jumping into 20-30 degrees higher than Wisco.  Good stuff!
2007-05-23 3:37 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
I can appreciate your disappointment but you put in a phenomenal 2-legs and stayed alive for the 3rd to come in with an excellent time!!!  Not every race goes as planned...but you fought through it!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memphis in May Rss Feed