Upper Palmetto YMCA
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 42s
Overall Rank = 63/93
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

Packed everything the night before and wrote out list and laid everything out night before race. Did not sleep at all woke up at 4:00 am. My friend and teammate picked me up at 6:00 am and we arrived at race site at 6:30 am. Stood in line for bodymarking then brought bike and stuff into transition area. Ate pbj on whole wheat toasted english muffin & 1 cup of coffee then ate 1 banana right before race started.
Drank bottle of water
Event warmup:

No warmup, I had just enough time to get everything setup in my transition area and use the bathroom before standing in line to get into pool
Swim
  • 11m 25s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

Not do a pool swim race. There are too many people and it is difficult to go fast. If I did one again I would definitely give them a faster time rather than a slower time.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Felt really good getting out of the pool everybody was cheering me on. I was a little discombobulated when I was at the Transition area looking at everything. I put everything on the opposite from what I had practiced (shoes on first and then up)

I will definitely practice with no socks for the next race. Wearing socks after coming out of the pool was a little uncomfortable.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 12s
  • 17 miles
  • 15.89 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt really good on the bike. This was my favorite part of the race. I followed my teammates advice. He told me don't let anyone hold you back just go ahead and pass them. I did that many times. When I passed I would say "on your left" and then say Hi, How are you doing?

Drink more water and not wait so long to drink. I would tell myself I couldn't have any water until a certain point in the race after I went over some of the main hills in the beginning.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Made sure and took helmet & gloves off first so that I didn't end up running with helmet 7 gloves.

Practice next time w/o socks
Run
  • 27m 23s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was fun I ran with my friend and teammate. We chatted and had a great time. Her leg started cramping and I just kept talking to her to keep her going. One of our other teammates caught up with us and three of us ran to the finish together.

The next race I'll run hopefully at a faster pace. I definitely could have run faster but my goal for this race since it was my first was to finish and have fun. I felt really good finishing and it was fun.
Post race
Warm down:

Definitely did not stretch enough. Everybody was at the finish line and we were all excited and they were cheering me on so I was talking when I should have been stretching. I did stretch later when we were leaving. My calves were pretty tight.

Event comments:

We all had a great time. I had fun from beginning to end and that was my goal. I couldn't believe I actually placed in my age group. I was really psyched about that. Everybody was really nice and very supportive of each other.

Last updated: 2007-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:25 | 547 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 61/93
Performance: Below average
I was conservative when I gave them my swim time and I told them 11 min. When we had timed it in training it was 10:30 and that is what I should have give them. I definitely could have swam faster there were many people in the pool and it was very difficult to pass. The kid in front of me had to stop at one point and he waved me to go on.
Suit: one piece trisuit
Course: 20 lap pool swim in yards up then down and under rope across pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:04:12 | 17 miles | 15.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 45/93
Wind: None
Course: This road course really sucked. A lot of people spoke up before the race wanting it changed but it was too late the USAT had already approved it. The second road we turned onto was a major road with a lot of traffic. The third road was a rural road but it was a mess; potholes and patched potholes and bumps everywhere. I had to ride down the middle of the road to try to avoid this mess. Most of the course is hilly but I really did not mind the hills as much as the traffic and potholes. Can you tell I didn't like the bike course?
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:23 | 03.11 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 86/93
Course: Pretty much flat around aquatic center and elementary school. A couple of small hills pretty easy course overrall
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-21 3:19 PM

User image

Veteran
SC
Subject: Tri the Rock

2007-05-21 8:00 PM
in reply to: #810353

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Tri the Rock
WOW, you did great! Placing and all. Congrats!
2007-05-22 8:54 AM

User image

MotoQueen
Awesome race Mel. Way to go!
2007-05-22 6:11 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
YAY Mel!  You kicked butt!  Super fast run time too....great work.  You'll do even better on 6/17!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Rock Rss Feed