Cyclo Sportif
18C / 64F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up feeling absolutely awful but I knew it was a team event so couldn't really pull out. forced a piece of toast down. Went to pick up my friend who was looking worse then me. Drove up to Toodyay through the fog/mist. I thought Iwas in yorkshire a few times half expected some sheep and cows to come trotting across the road in front of me.
Event warmup:

Got thre milled around chatting for a while the usual pre event stuff. We had a very short 4k warm up
Bike
  • 1h 52m
  • 45 kms
  • 24.11 km/hr
Comments:

so we started out really well for the first 5 or 6k's I was sitting up the front leading my team and feeling ok. then the first hill hit and our team splintered. I felt ok going up the first hill. it was a long steep hill and it was really hard to stay together as a team. so we spilt and waited up the top for the rest of the team.

I felt ok for the first 10k's of undulating hills but then I just started struggling to breathe, I don't know if it was hayfever or a bug but I just really could not get enough air in. and I struggled for the rest of the ride.
It was a hard ride just one hill after another. I ws thinking on the way out its ok we've just gone 23k's up hill the way back is all going to be downhill. god knows where those hills came from on the way back but it felt like it was all uphill on the way back too.

I unfortunately was holding the team back a bit on the way back in with one of the other guys we just struggled up those hills.
What would you do differently?:

not enter an event 2 weeks after a half with no training for 2 weeks. not enter a hilly event with absolutely no hill trainin in the last few months. (thank god the half was flat)

Not do an event where my lungs are going to explode even on the downhills. it wasn't lack of fitness it was wheezy tight lungs. very scary.
Post race
Warm down:

got off the bike as soon as possible crossed the finish line rode bike to car and put it straight in my car.
Sat around with my team and enjoyed the lunch after the event.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of hill fitness, lack of health!
I also think that slammer is not a hills bike. I really struggled pushing the tri bike up hills. I also really struggled sitting up out of the bars for the entire ride. my hands were seriously sore by the end of the ride after the blue metal roads. I really need to get a road bike for winter and for these kind of events. As soon as that tax year ends I'll be shopping for another bike.

Event comments:

I sucked today!

Last updated: 2007-05-18 12:00 AM
Biking
01:52:00 | 45 kms | 24.11 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back hills!
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-05-21 8:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: Toodyay Randonneur

2007-05-21 8:56 PM
in reply to: #810892

Perth
Subject: RE: Toodyay Randonneur

It sure was a tuff ride, would have been even worse on a tri bike...i'm glad I rode my road bike (even though it weighs a ton).

Lovely morning though, nice drive, and i'm told the scenery on the course was nice (all I saw for 2+ hours was a little black skinny bit of rubber)

I know all about the health/tierdness, the half has taken alot more out of me than I thought, feels like I could sleep for a month just to catch up.

bike shopping...theres something to look forward to!

nice ride...

2007-05-23 9:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
You sucked
  • ..in air, because you weren't 100%.

• A pretty sterling effort, particularly after a substantial ride the day before.
    2007-05-23 10:10 PM

User image

Veteran
    Perth, Oz

Ok have since found out why I really did suck so bad on Sunday.  how stupid is this.

I rode my bike the entire 45k's with the wheel rubbing the frame of my bike!  yep no wonder it was so damn difficult.

slammer (my quintana roo tequillo) has a really close cutout between the frame and the tyre.  I put new tyres on before the half.  when it rains the tyres and water and grit on the road end up hitting the frame and it sounds awful.  (not a good bike for the winter)  Anyway a guy at the cyclo before the race heard the bike and had a look and "fixed" it for me.  saying he'd moved the wheel back slightly.  it "fixed" the problem,  however he put the wheel back in wonky so for the 45k's it was rubbing the frame.

Only discoverd this afterwards!  why didn't I check it myself!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » Toodyay Randonneur Rss Feed