Ironman North America Athlete Services
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 32m 17s
Overall Rank = 599/2048
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 109/284
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 4:00. Didn't sleep the best. Pre-race nerves. Had a PB on wheat and a banana plus a gatorade. Walked to the race from the Wilderness Lodge. Nice walk on the run path all be it very dark and not lighted. It was a bit spooky. Got to transition area around 5:20 and got set up. Chatted with several of my team members from the Challenged Athletes Foundation. Got me nice and relaxed.
Event warmup:

Nothing other than the walk over to the transition area from the hotel. I am not a big pre-race run/jog/swim person. Just get in and get going is my motto.
Swim
  • 37m 48s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in the Challenged Athletes group we got to start third. It was nice starting that early. I was near the back of the wave at the start, but our wave fanned out pretty well and really only had one person swim into me pretty hard. I gave them a slight nudge and all was well for the rest of the swim. I felt pretty good, but in thinking about it I really didn't into a great rhythm. I was pretty close to the course markers and I was able to sight off someone for most of the swim leg so that helped me stay on course.
What would you do differently?:

About the only thing I would do different is perhaps swim a little harder but overall it was an okay swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m 11s
Comments:

I am not a fast transition person, but did good by my standards. I am still getting used to my Shimano SPD-R cleats after using Look forever so I had one cleat that was a bit difficult to get clipped. Once clipped in I was off and rolling. I was at the back of the transition area so I had a long run to start the bike.

Not much at all
Bike
  • 2h 41m 26s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.81 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a pretty good bike. I have a great boss and he let me use his Zipp wheels for the race. I am not sure if they made a difference or not, but I did noticed the front wheel was rubbing a little on mile 35 so I let the brake release go and it made a difference. I felt pretty good on the bike and was happy with my pace for the most part. I was a little disappointed with effort but my bike training has been a little off year to date so I can understand why I felt a little slow. I think I drank enough, but my quads were pretty tight toward the end of the ride. I think the winds and lighter training had an effect on my bike leg.

Train more and determine a nutrition plan that works better.
Transition 2
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

I thought I did a good job with this transition. I did make sure my shoes weren't too tightly laced as I had a problem with that at a recent half marathon. The only thing that was a bit of a challenge was running in the sand between the bike dismount and transition area. Bike shoes and sand don't mix very well.

Not much at all
Run
  • 2h 06m 31s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

After I got off the bike and started running, my quads were pretty tight. After the first mile or two they loosened up somewhat, but I could still feel them. I drank and sponged at all the rest stops trying to stay cool and hydrated. The first loop of the run went pretty well after about mile 2 when I got loosened up a little. Loop two of the run went fine. Got some high fives from several of the CAF team members. It was nice being with this group as we did encourage each other the whole run. The last lap of the run is where my legs really started acting up. About mid way through mile 11 I had to walk a little. The cramps were coming but I figured I could stave them off for a little longer so I started running/trotting after a minute or so. I got to mile 12 aid station got a good drink of gatorade and water and set out for the last mile. I have to say that was the hardest mile of running I think I have ever done. Both legs were very crampy from the quads to my toes. Several times I just about totally locked up. When I hit the shoot for the finish everyone was saying just a little bit further, almost there. That really helped get me over the last few hundred feet. I got my medal from Elmer one of the veterans involved with CAF. That made my day.(plus the hug and kiss from my wife and daughter)

I have got to figure a nuitriton plan for the race so that I don't cramp toward the end of the run. If I could do that I think I could run a sub 9 minute half marathon.
Post race
Warm down:

I chilled out at the post race activities with several of the CAF team then headed to the hotel for a shower. Once showered it was too the pool for a few post race beers as celebration with one of the folks from our CAF team.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

During the race nuitrition.

Event comments:

I thought about the race on my drive home and whether I would do it again after doing it in 2005 and now in 2007. I have to say I will. It's fun for the family being at Disney and it is pretty well run. I do wish the run course had more shade, but I suppose it is part of the challenge.

Last updated: 2007-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:48 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/284
Overall: 0/2048
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-shorts and Tri Top
Course: Course was a one loop out, across and back to the shore. Well marked with small markers between big buoys. Sun was to the right when we started and on your left coming back. That made buoy sighting kinda hard on the return leg.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:11
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:41:26 | 56 miles | 20.81 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: The bike course was pretty nice. It was scenic for parts once you got out of the Disney area. The first 25 miles were flat then we had some rollers and then flat again. We had a few vehicles intermixed with the bikers on some of the two-lane roads, but everyone was pretty courtious. The aid stations were staffed with eager volunteers who did a nice job. The pirates got my vote for the best spirit.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:06:31 | 13.1 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: This run course has it's goods and bads. The bad is the stretch on the grass trail. There were lots of ruts in the grass. There is no shade and it felt like a sauna when you were in there. The aid stations I thought did a pretty good job. There were running out of sponges toward the end and the were trying to recycle some (not sure if that is such a good idea) but they tried to help. It was nice having the cheering section at the beginning/end of the loops. The three loops were a bit of a mental challenge though
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-21 8:58 PM

User image

Atlanta
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Florida

2007-05-21 9:59 PM
in reply to: #810942

User image

FL
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Florida
Good job working through that last mile!
2007-05-22 8:49 AM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
Great job!!
2007-05-22 10:14 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
congrats on posting a great race during a hot and windy day!
2007-05-22 12:11 PM

User image

Atlanta
Thanks all. I appreciate the kind thoughts. Its people like you all that help make this sport so fun. Already thinking about my next adventure like many of you.

BR,

Megawatt
2007-05-22 2:17 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Way to go man!!  You pushed yourself and came out on top.  Mad respect for the CAF racers.  The whole lot of them.

2007-05-24 7:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
Awesome job on the race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Florida Rss Feed