Orlando, Florida
United States
Ironman North America Athlete Services
Total Time = 5h 39m 5s
Overall Rank = 685/2048
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 140/387
Pre-race routine:

this was by far my most disorganized pre-race routine. probably because we decided to spend the day at Magic Kingdom the day before to celebrate Jack's 2nd birthday.
Event warmup:

Woke up 30 minutes after the alarm was supposed to go off. Scrambled to unload the hotel room and load 3 kids into the van by 5AM. Made it to the shuttle lot with enough time, grabbed everything and jumped on the bus. Started transition set up and realized my running shoes were still in the car....argghh. Managed to get hold of my wife who had already taken off to get our 5-year old to a gas station restroom. Got transition set up and fortunately I was in a late wave. Took a shuttle back to the lot, met the family and helped them get to the race site with my shoes - ended up with plenty of time before my wave start.

With all the confusion couldn't remember whether I had eaten enough or not - ended up eating a PBJ uncrustable/milk and had a gel pack to take before the start, but was starving with 15 minutes before the race. On the last trip to the port-o-john found a granola bar on the floor - still in the wrapper. Thought twice...it was still wrapped, and my favorite flavor. What the heck, ate it. If you dropped it, thanks!
Swim
  • 44m 11s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall felt I could have pushed it a bit more. My first sensation after jumping in the water was partial relief at making it to the starting line and total exhaustion in my legs after having spent the previous day at Disney.
What would you do differently?:

uh, relax the day before the race.
Transition 1
  • 03m 53s
Comments:

long run from the beach to transition. Found my running shoes without a problem - had to leave the on the side of the transition area which was closed by the time I got back from the shuttle lot - moved them over to my spot and got on the bike. Overall smooth.
Bike
  • 2h 55m 16s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Once again, felt like I didn't have as much energy as I should but the bike started out great with a slight tail-wind. At about mile 5 looked down and realized I had forgotten to throw on my pump/inflator. Do I need a checklist or what. I've never prayed harder to not get a flat with no method for inflation...

Decided to not push too hard and try to save energy for the run.

Had a little difficulty figuring out if my nutrition plan was going to work - alternated gel packs with a PBJ uncrustable each about every 10 miles - but a little nauseous. Usually don't have a problem with this. Finally felt better for the last 20 miles.

Made it to T2 safely. Knew that once I got off the bike I would be all right.

allow more time for pre-race prep, bring along my own alarm clock, ask for a wake-up call, not go to Magic Kingdom the day before a race with 3 kids...
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

no problems, just happy to be moving on my feet. On the bike had started getting a bad cramp in the left vastus medialis that ached with every pedal for the last 10 miles. Was really hoping this wouldn't affect the run.

nothing
Run
  • 1h 54m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Surprisingly felt strong for the entire run. At mile 4 was hoping that I wouldn't fade over the last few miles. Had heard that this race was very hot on the run, but today it seemed unseasonably cool and not too humid with some decent occassional cloud cover - which was good because the course was about 90% or more full sun. Took 3 gel packs overall and gatorade/water/ice at every aid station. Was able to keep every mile between 8:25 and 8:50 and had enough energy to pick up the pace for the last mile. The last quarter mile was a blur, Madi and Elli jumped onto the course to cross the finish line with me but I didn't see them until I had already finished.
Post race
Warm down:

ran to the lake and jumped in for a cool down which felt great. Very happy that things fell into place and that I didn't get a flat on the bike. Specialized Armadillo's, worth the extra grams... With everything that could have gone wrong, figure that I'm lucky to have made it to the finish line without any major problems.

Event comments:

Huge crowd, but very well organized. Never felt like the size of the race was a problem.

Last updated: 2007-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:11 | 2112 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/387
Overall: 0/2048
Performance:
Suit:
Course: glad for the multiple wave starts, didn't seem too crowded at the start and overall just got one fist in the left eye socket half-way through and someone grabbed my ankle and loosened my chip strap.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:53
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:55:16 | 56 miles | 19.17 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Mostly traffic-free roads, hills weren't too bad. Wind wasn't a major factor fortunately.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:54:10 | 13.1 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: 3-loop packed dirt trail and pavement with 12 aid station stops well stocked with gatorade, water, ice, cold sponges, snacks, gel packs, coke. Lots of turn-arounds to see people during the run. A bit crowded in spots, but not bad at all.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-05-21 9:34 PM

User image

FL
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Florida

2007-05-22 8:54 AM
in reply to: #810995

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Florida
Congrats! That was a smokin' run time and great overall finish!
2007-05-22 12:24 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

I hate it when my "left vastus medialis" hurts!

Great job on doing so well after doing Disney the day before.  With the stress of the race and family, you did great.

2007-05-22 12:38 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
awesome race, congrats! (and wish a belated Happy B-day to the kiddo)
2007-05-24 6:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
Great job on the race! You owe me a granola bar. (Just kidding, it wasn't mine)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Florida Rss Feed