Ironhead
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 34s
Overall Rank = 64/215
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/10
Pre-race routine:

Packed the car with everything but my clothes on Sat. night. Went to bed about 9:30 p.m. and fell right asleep. Did the 40 mile Wild Ride on Sat. morning, so I was pretty tired. Starting about midnight, I woke up about every hour and looked at the clock. Woke up before my alarm went off at 4:45 a.m. Made my outmeal and Morningstar Farms vegetarian breakfast sausage and headed out the door. Stopped at 7-11 to get coffee and a bannana and ran into John (jcagg90). Followed John to McKinney while eating my oatmeal and "sausage" while driving. Got there about 5:40ish and got things together to take to transition.
Event warmup:

I'm not much for warmups and my swim time was in the very back, so didn't do a formal warmup.
Swim
  • 07m 20s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim actually felt pretty good for me. I even passed someone! In the second lane, a man passed me and the girl in front of me, so I followed him and passed her too! Then I got to draft off of him until he let me pass him at the wall in lane 4 or 5. Bilateral breathing worked most of the time, although I reverted to breathing every other stroke at times.
What would you do differently?:

Swimming is definately my weakness. I have little to no proper form or stroke efficiency and I work harder than my times reflect. I need a lot more practice (and maybe even professional help) in order to become a stronger/faster swimmer. So, more time in the pool/lake is what I would do differently.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Had to run a looooong way in gravel to get to my bike rack (it was the very last one). When I thought I was there, I realized I was at the wrong rack and had to run to the next one. Duh! When I finally found MY bike, I got into my socks, shoes, helmet, sunglasses and race belt pretty quickly. Ran with my bike to the mounting line and off I went!

Hang some sort of flourescent rag on my bike rack so I can find it on the first try. More practice in non-race settings.
Bike
  • 45m 54s
  • 15.3 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

There were several technical difficulties I had at the beginning of this ride...1) forgot to reset computer, so couldn't look at my avg which is what I usually look at, 2) aerodrink "poofy" flew out on first dip, 3) just about all of my Accelerade became a projectile into my face and eyes at next dip, 4) velcro holding aerodrink came undone and the bottle was bouncing around everywhere, 5) the GU pack I had taped on my bike frame was gone, so no drink and no GU.

Okay, now for the good part. With the thick layer of Accelerade coating the inside and outside of my sunglasses, I could barely see anything. I'm normally pretty cautious on bumpy roads, but I just flew on them today since I couldn't see too well. The ride felt really good. I have no real complaints. I tried to save my legs for the run the best I could, but I did push it on the bike. Nobody passed me.

Pretty happy with my bike performance. I got confused at the end thinking a red "fire lane" mark was the dismount line. The volunteers kept yelling at me to keep going, so that cost a few seconds. Need to practice getting on and off the bike faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

My bike rack was the closest one to the bike out/in area, so this was a fairly good transition for me. Since there was not really anyone else in T2 at this point, my 5 year old son yelled "Mommy, are you last?". The volunteers laughed at that one. Slurped down one GU and chugged some Propel, then off I went.

Practice more transitions.
Run
  • 25m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

The body almost beat out the mind on this one. The first mile felt awful. My legs were like lead and it took everything I had to keep from walking. I did walk through the first water stop and took a small sip of water before starting to run again. Mile 2 felt much better, but I was panting like a dog. Walked through water stop at the 2 mile mark and took another small sip before starting to run again. Mile 3 felt okay, but still panting. Just before running under the bridge, I was passed by a 12 year old boy. Sprinted with the little energy I had left to the finish.

Need to do more bricks. I'm going to try to finish out most every bike ride with a 1 mile run. I need to get more used to pushing through that "I really would rather be walking" feeling that comes during the first mile of the run.

More track work too to increase pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some Gatorade and ate a bannana. Stood around and talked.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience in the pool and in transitions.

Event comments:

Good race and very well organized.

Last updated: 2007-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:20 | 300 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/10
Overall: 178/215
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shorts and top (jog bra)
Course: Up and back in each of 8 lanes then climb up ladder.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:17
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:54 | 15.3 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 28/215
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Started out on city streets with large dips at 2 intersections and several railroad tracks. Then on bumpy county roads (no traffic at all) with some rolling hills and several blind corners. Oh, and loose gravel on a couple parts too. I went past 2 loose dogs, but they seemed to be oblivious to the cyclists. The next part was a FM road with a nice surface and just a little traffic. Out by the McKinney airport was the nicest roads of all and then we went back the way we came over the railroad tracks and dips.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:27 | 03.11 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 88/215
Course: Run through parking lots of school then on to trails and quiet residential streets. Very nice shaded run course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-21 9:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Subject: Tri-Historic McKinney

2007-05-21 10:14 PM
in reply to: #811022

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Subject: RE: Tri-Historic McKinney
Ooops, the pool swim was up and back in 6 lanes, not 8!
2007-05-22 8:28 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Congrats on the great finish and hardware!  You are really strong on the bike, especially considering the minor setbacks!!!
2007-05-22 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Ya made your children proud.... (and the hubby too!)
2007-05-22 1:54 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Kelley, great job. You did an awesome job coming from the back of the pack to kill the bike and run. Hopefully, we will meet up again at some future events.
2007-05-22 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
EXCELLENT job, Kelley! You had an incredible bike avg. and run pace! You are going to do GREAT this coming weekend!

2007-05-22 8:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

Awesome race!!  Congrats on the hardware!  What a stellar bike, especially with the difficulties.  I had the same issue with the poofy aero bottle thing in a past race.  I got some suggestions to use a shower poof, and it's worked better than the original poof ever did.  Great job!!!

2007-05-23 11:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen

...while eating my oatmeal and "sausage" while driving.

That explains why your headlights went from lane to lane so much! 

Great job!  (dam*, you're fast!)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-Historic McKinney Rss Feed