General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip pain possible piriformis syndrome?!?!? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-23 8:20 AM

Veteran
Conroe, TX
Subject: Hip pain possible piriformis syndrome?!?!?
So I have been having a deep pain in my right hip the last week and a half or so. It goes away when walking, standing, or running, however it hurts when sitting. Sometimes the pain is in the lower back or upper gluteal area and sometimes in the front of the leg, high up . I have taken some of the advice seen on other posts in the forum and purchased a foam roller,WHAT A BIG HELP!!! It feels much better even after just two sessions on the roller along with ice and aleve.If the pain is still here come next tues I am scheduling an appointment with the Doc.

Ok so onto the questions..
1)How long should I take off from running?? I have not ran since my Brick workout sunday. I walked 4 miles monday just to do something. 2)I have a 5K this saturday and I am planning on running it, is this a bad idea? Also I believe the culprit to be my new trial running shoes ( trail runs most saturdays ~3-4 miles) that I have used three times, they are neutral shoes and I am used to a very good stability road shoe. I am thinking I should have put orthotics in th trail shoes from the beginning. I have a sprint tri in 2 1/2 weeks so I am trying to nurse it to health so I can still participate.

THANKS!!! J

2007-05-23 9:41 AM
in reply to: #813079

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
Subject: RE: Hip pain possible piriformis syndrome?!?!?

It was all sounding good till I read "sometimes in the front of the leg. high up".  That's not exactly classic for early piriformis issues but it can happen.  Good diea to see a doc if it doesn't resolve fairly soon.

As to your question, it depends...

I know nobody likes that answer.  I have worked with runners who are diligent about their PT, and never stop running throughout the treatment.  I have also seen people with bad cases who can't run at all for weeks and even then pain creeps back in.

If you get to the point where you see a doc and a PT then I would go off of their assessment of how bad it is "relatively" and what your schedule modifications should be.  It does help if you see a sports doc and a PT who is used to dealing with athletes.

Joshua

2007-05-23 9:53 AM

Veteran
Conroe, TX
Thanks for the advice. As for the pain in the front, not sure if it is truely the front or the side of hip. I know that sounds strange, I mean how can you not know where it hurts but it is not a pain really just an annoying twinge every now and then usually when i have been sitting at my desk all day. the "front" pain is not nearly as prevalent as the "rear" pain.
THANKS AGAIN!!!
2007-05-23 11:06 AM
in reply to: #813296

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

janaleigh79 - 2007-05-23 9:53 AM Thanks for the advice. As for the pain in the front, not sure if it is truely the front or the side of hip. I know that sounds strange, I mean how can you not know where it hurts but it is not a pain really just an annoying twinge every now and then usually when i have been sitting at my desk all day. the "front" pain is not nearly as prevalent as the "rear" pain. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Gotcha.  That makes sense.  When the piriformis tightens up it rotates your hip out.  That causes structures in the front of the hip to be overstretched which can cause that twinge feeling.  Sitting at the desk all day then standing up and having it happen for the first few steps is pretty classic.

Good luck!

Joshua

2007-05-23 11:09 AM

Veteran
Conroe, TX
Thanks! I hope catching it early will benefit me !!! CROSSING FINGERS AND TOES!!!!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip pain possible piriformis syndrome?!?!? Rss Feed