General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When kids say the darndest things Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-23 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Subject: When kids say the darndest things
Part of my "tri" goal is to become fit and be a good example for my nieces. I am very involved in their lives to help my sis.

For several weeks I have been taking the twins (7 years old) to swim lessons at the YMCA. While they are doing their class, I swim laps. This past Saturday I brought my wetsuit to practice in. Of course they had a bunch of questions. I told them I would be racing. Then I tried to explain triathlon to 7 year olds.

Ashley then announced that she would like to race. "What type of race would you like to do?" I said. "I want to run" she said. At this point I'm trying not to jump out of my skin with excitement -- not to mention that this is the cutest thing ever!

The twins have always been very ethusiastic and positive about themselves (they think they are great swimmers and will say so - I had to warn their instructor that they will say they are good at something even if in reality it's a bit iffy) and I don't want a real race to hurt that.

Anybody know of kids races that are good for self esteem in the Philadelphia/Bucks County, PA area?

And I am in AWE of the parents who involve their kids in their training and even get them involved in racing. Your kids ever say anything cute/funny about your racing/training?

2007-05-23 2:24 PM
in reply to: #813875

User image

Elite
South Florida
Subject: RE: When kids say the darndest things
I don't know anything about that area, but you could check active.com.  I think you should try to find a race - even if it's only a kid's race at the end of an adult race - they are so much fun!  My girls are younger and they've done one running race (like 100 yards or something) and one mini-tri.  They don't want to do another tri this year because "it made them too tired."   They would like to do another running race though.
2007-05-23 2:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Well, I have three daughters ages 9,7 and 6 who are part of a tri club. Two of my daughters did a triathlon a few weeks ago and they were sitting on the side of the pool waiting for their wave and my 7 year old was giving her little sister pointers on how to swim before the race. It wasn't so much funny as it was touching. I'm amazed at the courage they have to do the races.
2007-05-23 2:44 PM

User image

Woodland Park, CO
My daughter is 5 and decided that she wanted to run a kids' fun run after a 5K that I ran on St. Patrick's day this year. She came to the race with my husband to watch me run, and her "race" (really just down the block and back) would be after mine. When it came time for us to go to the starting line her eyes just got huge and she wouldn't talk to me. She was resistant to race - when she had been so excited, and even "practiced" by running up and down our hilly driveway. I realized that she thought I was going to make her run as far as I had, and she was petrified! She still didn't trust me totally when I got her to the starting line, but I convinced her that it was a much shorter race, and I would run it with her. When it was over, she finally relaxed a bit.

I'm running a 10K next weekend, and there is a fun run afterward. We'll see if she is up for it!

If I can pass along the love of fitness to my two daughters (the other is only 22 months), I will be very happy!

~JoAnna
2007-05-23 2:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts

I just posted a race report - "Sammy's First" - from yesterday's 5K that I did with my seven year old son.

2007-05-23 2:47 PM

User image

Woodland Park, CO
Oh, and I almost forgot - after every race I do, I come home and my daughter asks me if I won. I wish!!

I then spend 5 minutes explaining how it isn't about winning, it's about the process, yadda, yadda. Her eyes glaze over, and she forgets what we were talking about...

2007-05-23 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Yeah, when you're a kid there's winning and then not winning and that's it. They are not into "the process" yet. :-)
2007-05-23 2:53 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
My three little ones have all expressed interest. They've done one race with me so far. Last fall, one of the 5K had a 1K kid race. Everyone got a medal which is huge motivation! My 5 yr old daughter fell down while "warming up" and skinned her knee. No racing for her that day. My 4 yr old daughter got stage fright after the other one went to Momma. I held her hand and ran with her about half way, then she wanted me to carry her. (See avatar). My 6 yr old son just took off with the pack and ran the entire distance. I was a very proud poppa! Everyone got their first race shirt.

There's a Father's day 5 K race with a bunch of kid events including a small race coming up. We'll be doing that one.
2007-05-23 2:59 PM

Montgomery, AL
Part of the reason I have been motivated to get in better shape and do a triathlon is for my kids (especially my daughter). They are all quite young (7,5,2,-0.4) but I really would like them all to be physically fit and be involved is some type of regular physical activity. However, I am also a firm believer that you can't really choose these things for your kids. The last thing I want to do is to tell my kids they need to play sports or workout or whatever.

I remember being in highschool (and very very skinny) and my dad really wanted me to lift weights. He got me a book and pointed out what I should do but that was all he did. And he was always too busy to work out himself or do it with me. So I tried it once or twice but never really got into it. And I really wish I had - I didn't start doing more fitness till college and later.

So my goal is to do it myself, for myself. But also to be an example that I hope my kids will follow. If they don't, so be it. But at least this will be better than trying to nag them into something - which never really works.
2007-05-23 3:25 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
I have 3 boys, and my older (10) wants to run when I run, but I can't let him because of the distance. I tell him that he and his brother (8) can ride their bikes while I do my run.
I wanted them to do the race around the Capitol during the Madison Marathon, but we may have crappy, stormy weather and my wife may not let them participate because of the weather and having to be with our 2 year old (I'll be doing the marathon).
2007-05-23 3:54 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Every time I train my kids want to know how my "triaflon" went. As much as I try to tell them that I'm just practicing now and my "triaflon" is not for four months...they don't get it. They have been practicing cheers. They plan to yell "Go Mommy! Go Mommy!" and "Firecracker Firecracker Ciss Boom Bah, Mommy Mommy Rah, Rah, Rah" (for those of you Bugs Bunny fans out there!)

2007-05-23 4:02 PM

Veteran
San Jose, CA

My cousin's 4 year old and all her friends have been racing for awhile now. They love it. Check out active.com, I'm sure they've got something in your area.

For the record, although I don't have any kids of my own yet, I think it's great to get them out there regardless of whether they win or they're "the best". You see grown adults struggling with learning to race against themselves on here all the time, good to learn early. Anyways, I never did any sports growing up and I had horrible self-esteem - it's great to get them active!  

2007-05-23 11:24 PM

User image

Expert
MD
en if in reality it's a bit iffy) and I don't want a real race to hurt that.

Anybody know of kids races that are good for self esteem in the Philadelphia/Bucks County, PA area?

Your in luck if your in the Philadelphia area and you are willing to drive a little to get to the race. Check out the piranha-sports.com site - but here's some links...

This one's in DE but from Philly you're probably an hour or so away -
Bear, DE – June 3, 2007
ESCAPE FROM SCHOOL® YOUTH TRIATHLON
100 yard swim – 2.4 mile bike – 0.4 mile run
http://www.piranha-sports.com/EventDetail.asp?ACTION=ShowEvent&Even...

Another in DE at a really great park - nice place for a picnic and day of swimming after the race, also in Bear DE. The next day is an adult sprint triathlon that is really great. Make it a weekend with the whole family!
Bear, DE – August 18, 2007
LUMS POND YOUTH TRIATHLON
100 yard swim – 2.4 mile bike – 0.4 mile run

Already past, but this might be good for next year:
Indian Valley Family YMCA in Harleysville, PA – April 29, 2007

2007-05-23 11:29 PM

User image

Expert
MD

Also, don't forget to contact local YMCA or family friendly fitness centers. They often hold youth events, fun runs, and other family and kid oriented races. Down here in MD there is a fitness center nearby that holds a youth triathlon with age groups including 5-7, 8-13, and 14+ races the adult course. It's all about fun and positive spirit.

I had my 6 and 8 yr olds race last year and they had fun. The 6 yr old raced in training wheels! They got medals and certificates and had a big cheering section.
2007-05-24 5:16 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Here's another one you could check out - I'm thinking of signing my son up for this one:

http://www.schoolsoutkidstriathlon.com/
2007-05-24 7:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Thank you all for the info!

I loved the "triaflon" story.

2007-05-24 7:30 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

I thought this was about cute things kids say.  But my 10 month old just says, "babababababa"  and the occasional, "mamamama or dadadadad"  sometimes followed by a loud scream.

I think this means, "I want to run, bike, swim, now change my diaper."

2007-05-24 7:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Circle Pines, MN
Last year one of the Tri's that I did had a kids Tri the day before. I had my son do it, he turned 11 the weekend before. He is going to do it again this year, and we also have him, and 3 of my nephew's signed up to do a 5k in September. My little sister and I will be doing a half mary at the same time. My older sister is going to be the captain of the 5k team. Everyone will run the 5k, but you recieved a discount for signing up 5 people. So the team name is "Everyone beats Dana".

Lance
2007-05-24 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Also check with your local running club. A lot of them include events specifically geared for kids. My previous club in Virginia (Fredericksburg Area Running Club) has a yearly, kids only, "Great Train Race," which is a 1-mile race for the 6-18 yos (in heats by age), and a "Caboose Run," which is a quarter mile dash for all the younger kids who want to run. Everyone gets a medal and a t-shirt. This is a fabulous event with some 2,000 kids running. If you have friends or family in the area and want to travel to VA, I highly recommend it (next one is May '08).

A few other races also include a 1-mile kids run, they put on a spring track series that is primarily kids, and they have (had) a special half marathon and marathon program, one-mile-at-a-time, where the kids could earn a very nice shirt by accumulating miles (at races, at school, etc.) and "reporting" them back to the club.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When kids say the darndest things Rss Feed