Ironman North America Athlete Services
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 12m 47s
Overall Rank = 359/2048
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 59/284
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:00 - a quick shower and a bad cup of hotel coffee. Ate a gas station pastry - mmmmmm. Had checked in the bike the night before so it was just a matter of setting up transition. Very crowded (as expected) but my neighbors were pleasant.
Event warmup:

No warm up for a half iron distance. I would have gone for a quick 200 yard swim but they were not letting anyone into the water prior to race start.
Swim
  • 46m 32s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have always been an anti-swimming person but it took this race for me to realize that I need to improve upon my swim if I am ever going to become "better than average". Overall, I finished 59 out of 284 in the M40-44 age group yet I could manage no better than 198 out of 284 on the swim portion. I have been swimming 2 days per week - one day drills and endurance and the other day speed. I will now suck it up and get a coach and concentrate on form. This swim started out with a very short panic attack and good sighting. After the first turn buoy all h3ll broke loose and I zigged and zagged the rest of the way. I also concentrated so heavily on an "even" effort that I probably did not go as fast as I could have. I am just a poor swimmer and I need to get some coaching.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to swim!
Transition 1
  • 03m 43s
Comments:

This transition went pretty well. It was a long run from the water to the transition area but it was lined with people cheering you on ... pretty darn cool. I decided to put socks on but the socks I use go on very easily.

Not much
Bike
  • 2h 32m 4s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.10 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike was as good as my swim was bad! I never in a million years dreamed that I could average over 22 miles per hour over a 56 mile course. I am sure that the hills that I train on in the North Atlanta suburbs made the relatively flat course feel super fast. In the beginning I was holding a 23-24 MPH pace and it was effortless. I started to wonder if my Garmin 305 was busted! I passed a few packs of riders and made the obligatory smart-a$$ comment "boy, you guys sure will have fresh legs for the run"! The mile markers were off by a mile or 2 and that started to get me concerned but my watch was right on 56 miles when I pulled into transition. Just a great, great bike for me ... I just wondered if the damage was done as I had taken the equivalent of 2 gels and only 60 ounces of GU2O (I had intended on taking 3-4 gels and 84 ounces of GU2O).

Drink and gu more.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Good T2 time. Looks like it was about the 56th fastest time for my AG. Nothing really held me up. I suppose I could learn how to dismount on one side of the bike and get out of my shoes during the last stretch but I do not trust my bike handling after a 56 mile ride.
Run
  • 1h 48m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Running is always my strongest event. I qualified for Boston at the Sarasota Marathon in March with a 3:20 marathon and ran a 1:35 half marathon in preparation for my marathon. I thought that it was feasible to run a 1:40 and a 1:45 in a "worst case" scenario. I think that I failed in that attempt for two reasons: 1) I hammered the bike and probably had very little left to mount an assault on 1:40, and 2) the lack of fluids and gels on the bike put me in a caloric deficit. I limped in with a 1:48.

Calories, calories, calories!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around attempting to lose the nausea feeling ... took about 10 minutes and I was fine.

Event comments:

Overall, this was a very well run event. I was happy with my time as I improved from a 5:57 at Timberman 70.3 to a 5:12 at Florida 70.3 this year. I believe that the big difference is the new bike and the Zipp 808s. If I concentrate on my swim during the summer and can put together a good run at the end than I think I am capable of some big improvements. I will probably do another half iron distance this year and we will see.

Last updated: 2007-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:32 | 2112 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 198/284
Overall: 1350/2048
Performance: Bad
Suit: 2XU One Piece Tri Suit
Course: U-Shaped course
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:43
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:32:04 | 56 miles | 22.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 46/284
Overall: 258/2048
Performance: Good
My bike was as good as my swim was bad! I never in a million years dreamed that I could average over 22 miles per hour over a 56 mile course. I am sure that the hills that I train on in the North Atlanta suburbs made the relatively flat course feel super fast. In the beginning I was holding a 23-24 MPH pace and it was effortless. I started to wonder if my Garmin 305 was busted! I passed a few packs of riders and made the obligatory smart-a$$ comment "boy, you guys sure will have fresh legs for the run"! The mile markers were off by a mile or 2 and that started to get me concerned but my watch was right on 56 miles when I pulled into transition. Just a great, great bike for me ... I just wondered if the damage was done as I had taken the equivalent of 2 gels and only 60 ounces of GU2O (I had intended on taking 3-4 gels and 84 ounces of GU2O).
Wind: Some
Course: Great bike course. Except for a few stretches there was very little traffic. Smooth roads and great course support. Some rolling hills but nothing too bad.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:48:28 | 13.1 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 58/284
Overall: 331/2048
Performance: Below average
Course: 3 loop course with 2 out-and-backs. Flat as a pancake. Major sections of grassy, unlevel terrain.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-05-23 3:08 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Florida

2007-05-23 3:56 PM
in reply to: #814008

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Florida
do you feel the sandy trail effected your run time? it felt like it really drained my legs of anything that was left when i hit the sandy trail!
2007-05-24 6:48 AM
in reply to: #814115

User image

New user
I wouldn't be surprised. Not only did it have the potential to drain your legs but it also drained your mind as you were constantly needing to watch your foot placement. I typically run with my eyes straight ahead but I was looking down for most of the run.
2007-05-24 8:58 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

45 min PR!!!  Awesome job man.  I can't wait to get back to Atlanta and train with you guys.  I might hit you up for some places to ride since I'll be living in the North Atlanta area.

The grassy section definetly slowed us all down.  Not only the surface, but the uneven portions and the heat.   You did a great job.  Way to go.

2007-05-24 9:15 AM
in reply to: #814912

User image

New user
Thanks!

Places to ride in North Atlanta are few and far between! Sounds like you are familiar with the area and may already know that. I have been cycling for 2 years now and I still can not get accustomed to the traffic ... too many close calls. The great thing about NORTH Atlanta is that we are that much closer to the gaps ... great, great rides!

Great race by the way! Maybe you can make a few extra bucks coaching me on my swim ;-)
2007-05-24 7:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
Solid race!! THat's a great bike split, run as well. You'll get there with the swim. Still beat me = )

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Florida Rss Feed