General Discussion Triathlon Talk » injuries - blister (please help) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-14 2:37 PM

User image

New user

St. Louis,MO
Subject: injuries - blister (please help)
I developed a non-sport related blister (huge one) this past weekend and I have a race next Sunday (1/2 marathon). I have been taking care of this thing 3 times a day. I have two questions:
1) Do you suggest any specific medicine or treatment for it?
2) Do you suggest to tape it the day of the race?

Please let me know. Thanks.
Miguel

2004-09-14 10:29 PM
in reply to: #61499

User image

Veteran
MA
Subject: RE: injuries - blister (please help)
I have been there -- you have my sympathy.
Hopefully it will be better in a few days. If not, you can look into using moleskin during the race. Alternately, there is a product called BlisterBlock from Band-aid that folks rave about (it didn't work so well for me, but maybe for you?)
Worse comes to worse, you may just need to tough it out.

Deb
2004-09-14 10:36 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

I hear that moleskin works great, but I have not tried it.  I developed a monster blister last month during a 1/2 marathon.  I ended up popping the thing (next day), enduring the stinging for about a day and then it was better.  If you do that, then I would be concerned about running on it right away, so.....I'm not sure.

I have not tried putting a lot of vasoline in my shoes, but have seen others doing this.  I would make some inquiries along this line.

Good luck.

Dan

2004-09-14 10:57 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
When I lived in Puerto Rico I put vaseline on my feet regularly to prevent blisters.  I have no idea if it would keep existing ones from getting worse though.  I DO know that bandaiding them never worked for me...usually the bandaid ended up bunched up and making the problem worse instead of better. 
2004-09-15 9:43 AM

User image

Veteran
MA
Here are some elements that helped me with blister prevention (too late for Miguel, but good for future reference...)

Sneaks that fit
Double layer, light weight socks (I like WrightSocks)
Body glide on feet before run, or Two Toms BlisterShield foot powder

Like they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...
Deb
2004-09-15 10:52 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
even though i've only been running for a little while, i know all about blisters from hiking and backpacking. prevention is key. good socks are very important, as is a little body glide or something similar. don't ignore a hot spot. if you put some body glide on an area that tends to blister or get hot, it will save you a lot of grief later on. i have a blister on the big toe of my right foot right now. decided last week that it was more important to run than to do laundry, and i wore a pair of old cotton 'running' socks. they worked fine when i had just started running and was doing 1-2 miles, they should be fine for a 5+ miler, right? wrong! since its already popped, when i'm NOT running, i have it covered with a bandaid and some neosporin. when i am running, i take OFF the bandaid and let it air out, rub some body glide on it, and put on some good, clean running socks, shoes, and off i go. you can try moleskin or athletic tape if it hurts to run with the blister, but make sure you also use some body glide around the edges of it. often the bandage for one wound can create a whole new hot spot.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » injuries - blister (please help) Rss Feed