General Discussion Triathlon Talk » draft or no draft Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-14 7:16 PM

New user

St. Thomas, Ontario
Subject: draft or no draft
Our local tri club is in the midst of an interesting debate re: drafting, blocking and crossing the centre line, in particular the application of the rules in large entry, non-drafting races. Some feel that if it can't be enforced then don't have it. Others feel that the "on your honour" rule should apply.
Interested to learn what other opinions are out there.

2004-09-14 7:55 PM
in reply to: #61670

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-09-14 7:58 PM

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: draft or no draft
Why can't it be enforced? All USAT races do so, or at least make the effort.

For me it's a combination of "honor code" and the fear of getting caught and incurring a time penalty.
2004-09-14 8:54 PM
in reply to: #61689

Unfortunately it is hard to enforce on some of the larger race. I just raced Chicago three weeks ago, so much drafting going on. Most of it was the simple fact that there is only so much space on the road. And I was a late wave!

Another example from IM Moo. Too many people, too little road...

(MooDraft.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
MooDraft.JPG (13KB - 11 downloads)
2004-09-14 11:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
TriBruin that looks more like a Peloton than a triathlon.  Very small road there.  I would be a little worried about getting the time penalty being in that group. 
2004-09-15 7:17 AM

Master
Marietta, Ga
In my humble opinion, drafting does not belong in triathlons, which is why I didn't like the Olympic events nor ITU racing. This is an individual sport and all aspects of it should adhere to that fundamental element. Otherwise, we'll see continued emergence of organized teams who will race together for the sole purpose of winning and sharing the booty (a la professional cycling). It also penalizes those folks who spend the entire race out front (e.g. the 2004 Women's Olympic Triathlon). Kate Allen would never have won had she not hidden in a group on the bike.

Secondly, I never let the actions of cheaters be the reason to loosen the rules (the lowest common denominator). There should be honor among athletes in this sport and I'm sure 99% of the folks do try to obey the them. These events are quite expensive and in all the races I've been in thus far, my fees have gone towards hiring officials on motorcycles to cruise the course and make sure people are following the rules. I've personally never witnessed someone intentionally drafting, although I have been blocked by folks who just don't seem to get the "ride on the right, pass on the left" thing.

2004-09-15 8:00 AM

Veteran
Albury, Oz
I am sorry Motivated but I cannot take any advice from anyone who has a picture like that as his Atavar ;-) LOLLLLLLL!! Crazy crazy crazy! I think draft legal races (well here anyway) are rightly only in races where riders have competitive road racing licences to prove they are experienced in pack riding and know the rules, otherwise it is just too dangerous. Personally I think drafting is cheating and shouldn't be in the sport at all, but that opinion will open a whole can of worms. As someone who is about to become race director for the local duathlon series (and probably will eventually get licenced as a race official) I will be making sure there are fixed and mobile draft busters on my course - we use "fake" entrants who are experienced cyclists, motorbike with pillion and stationary officials to monitor for drafting. Howver we don't get big fields as these are small local events and we have reasonable quiet wide roads for our events so accidental drafting can be minimised. From personal experience it does suck to get a warning for drafting when you are trying to get around someone and they keep speeding up when you try to overtake! I know the idea is that you should be strong enough to pass quickly but sometimes you get caught on a hill etc. I think I will only be hard on the deliberate drafters. Dx
2004-09-15 8:18 AM

Champion

It certainly is enforced here in large events.  There were a lot of penalties handed out at the NH Timberman 1/2 IM.  Here is the referee's report, 2 pages long.  Note the fact that one guy got penalized for drafting twice...4 minutes for the 1st offense, 12 minutes for both combined:

http://www.lin-mark.com/special/timber04penalties.xls

Edited by max 2004-09-15 8:22 AM

2004-09-15 9:24 AM
in reply to: #61819

I agree with you 100% in that drafting should NOT be part of Triathlon. A perfect example of how this hurts the sport is Team Kinesys. If you have not heard of the them, they are a team of Pro Triathletes, whose single goal is to work together during ITU races with the goal of getting on of their own to the finish line first. They race the races like US Postal races the TdF! (Even though I disagree with their methods, I should note that they ARE racing legally for ITU races.)

IMHO, Triathlon is an individual sport and true test of individual accomplishment. In an ideal world, drafting should be enforced. But how do you differentiate the guy (or gal) who is drafting vs.the racers that just got "caught in a pack" because of the race size? Very tough call for the referees.

2004-09-15 9:36 AM

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
I am with you that drafting and 'team triathlon strategy' are the wrong direction for the sport. I have been in a number of tri's, and have always seen and heard the motorcycles approaching...but the most efficient policing is the look from ahead, if you even consider wheel sucking...the honour system works in golf, and seems to in our sport, also...If you don't leave the space...you will know far in advance of the marshall taking your number down...and that is the way it should be...that team kinesys, go Victor Plata on the olympic team, which was a complete sham...so I would bet there will be some movement to avoid that type of action in the future...hopefully the ITU begins to realize it's own obsolescence and move away from draft legal racing and put racers back on their own merits...If they want to race in a peloton...theres always TDF
2004-09-15 9:49 AM

Elite
Racine, WI

At the half IM I did in Lake Geneva I didn't see ANY race officials on the bike course...and it was USAT sanctioned event.  Of course they could have been masquerading as racers.  The honor system did seem to be working quite well, I saw very little drafting and only one pack...and to be honest the pack seemed to be unintentional. 

I will add my opinion that drafting DOES NOT belong in triathlons. 

2004-09-15 10:27 AM

Veteran
Ankeny, Iowa
I would have to say that I don't think drafting should be allowed in a triathalon. But maybe I have my opinion for different reasons than most. I don't really compete for wins or places, I do the competitions for personal accomplishment and to compete more with myself. I can't think of anyone that I would rather beat than myself and it just doesn't seem right if you have to cheat to beat yourself. I want to measure my own abilities and set my personal best, not my personal best with an asterisk.
2004-09-15 10:33 AM

Expert
Texarkana, TX

There were two pages worth of penalties in my race on Sunday, and it had less than 400 entrants.  My feeling on drafting is that it should not take place in triathlons.  I wish that the ITU would abandon it, and that the Olympics would as well, because it turns the race into basically a 10K run. 

Now, I am very conscientious about positioning on the bike during races.  (I got penalized during my second sprint race this year.)  I am going to do my very best to make sure I don't break any rules, because if you are not playing by the rules, you're playing a different game.  Also, I got a little perturbed (but I let it pass) when someone re-passed me on the left after I had overtaken him.  Where's that motocycle?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » draft or no draft Rss Feed