United States
71F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

So I woke up in the hotel room, took a shower and had a little fruit for breakfast. I got the transition ready and walked through a few times. Met some very nice people.
Event warmup:

Not much, the swim would get me going. Double checked everything and felt the very cold water. Helped Jeff and Ryan with their first time and gave them some tips.
Swim
  • 18m
  • 766 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very interesting second experience in the swim in open water. I was able to be a little better and crawl most of the time. The thing that was weird was that my arms got tired more than me being out of breathe. This probably has to do with the fact that it's the second swim of the year. Pool opened today, wahoo!
What would you do differently?:

Just more swimming. I was actually pretty happy with my performance for the time I had gotten in.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Just slow. That swim kicked my butt. Super dizzy and socks are bad news on wet feet.

Can't wait till I get more swim practice.
Bike
  • 39m 21s
  • 10.6 miles
  • 16.16 mile/hr
Comments:

As stated above, bad course and bad planning, something that marred the race.

My legs were just not feeling it. My HR was really high after the swim and would just not calm down. I drank well and spun well but had no power and just didn't feel all that great.

I am pretty bummed the weather was so bad the week before the race and my training slacked. I needed to keep going in training better.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Pretty quick and easy.

Not much, just be faster.
Run
  • 27m
  • 3.53 miles
  • 07m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt okay and my Newtons were rocking, but I could've done better. I should have been able to push harder and drop 30sec per mile at least.

The whole race I needed to feel better. My bike/run were a disappointment.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around and took pictures of my buddies

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't eat enough before the race or the correct things. Training before my race was also off.

Event comments:

Really bummed about this race. Not only was my performance not as well I hoped, but race organization was not very good. One turn on the bike course wasn't marked except for a cone in the middle of the road. Next the race was very late and not well organized. On the run the Sprint turn around had a small sign off in the side of the road and behind the support car. The girl at the aid station wouldn't speak up and didn't tell anyone it was the sprint turn around. Lucky for me, someone was complaining about it (he had ran an extra 1/2 mile) so I turned around. Jeff (one of my friends) actually ended up running the Olympic! run in his very first triathlon because of the poor marking. They also didn't give out awards for AGs except overall male/female, masters and athena/clyds (which where also weird as clyd was 180 pounds and more. That makes me within 5 pounds of being a clyd..right). Oh well, I'm just happy Ryan and Jeff are now triathletes!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:00 | 766 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto T1 Black Pearl
Course: A loop course. Out to a buoy on the right and the swing to the left and back just left of the start. The run to T1 was quite long on some not so nice stuff. Stand, thorns, etc.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:39:21 | 10.6 miles | 16.16 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: The course was an out and back, and the small loop was scrapped as the road was too bad. We had to run our bikes quit a ways out of transition to hop on the bike. Going out about a mile in was the first turn which was almost totally unmarked. Just a random cone with no arrows and no volunteers. Luckily just as we slowed down some other people who went the wrong way were coming back and telling us to turn. I lost about 30 - 60 seconds on just that. Others lost much more. The rest of the route was pretty straight forward but the roads were pretty bad. At one point there was about enough road total for both sides for two bikes to get through is all.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:00 | 03.53 miles | 07m 39s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: A loop around the lake and then an out and back on the run. BIG problem here. The sprint turn around was poorly marked and many people (not me) missed it and didn't turn around. My poor friend Jeff didn't see it, and this being his first triathlon didn't realize he did. He said he felt the run was too long and bam, he sees it. Olympic race turn around! Talk about being pissed. There was even a girl at the sprint turn around not saying a word to the athletes about it being a turn around for a spring. Poor poor planning.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2007-05-26 6:42 PM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
Subject: Triathlon at Rigby Lake - Sprint

2007-05-28 9:31 PM
in reply to: #818303

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kuna, Idaho
Subject: RE: Triathlon at Rigby Lake - Sprint
Good report.  I was hoping for more than your fist post.  Great to see that you did a fast run leg.

I will trade you a little of my bike speed for a little of your run speed.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon at Rigby Lake - Sprint Rss Feed