United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 59s
Overall Rank = 144/216
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/9
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:45am and ate a bagel w/peanut butter and a banana. Then I got dressed and loaded my bike and gear into the truck. David and I left for Woodlake at 5:45 and arrived at 6:30. I racked my bike (no assigned slots - so I got there as early as we were allowed for a good spot). I went to packet pickup for my number (105) and then to body marking.
Event warmup:

I ran about half the run course to start my warmup. Then I did a couple hundred yards in the lake to test the water and warmup for the swim.
Swim
  • 19m 38s
  • 600 yards
  • 03m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

All of times for this race are from my Timex watch. We didn't wear chips for this race, so there are no splits - just the finish time.

After my swim performance at White Lake (DNF), I was really concerned about this swim. I knew that the biggest reason I had trouble at White Lake was the choppy water and that wasn't going to be a problem with this race. So I went into this race knowing I should be able to complete the swim, but I was still worried. My plan was to just take it slow and get through it. Once I got through this race I would start working on swimming well in OW. I stuck to that plan and it worked for me. I went out slowly and just found a comfortable pace. I didn't have any freakout moments. There was one wave that started after mine. I knew they would catch me and was a bit worried about what would happen when they reached me. But it went well. I got pushed and swam into a few times, but no panic moments. I didn't realize just how slowly I was swimming though - my time really stunk! At one point I looked around and didn't see anyone else. I thought I was the last one in the water. But when I finished and looked back there were still about 20 people in the water. So, I was really, really close to last - but not DFL! That made me feel a little better.
What would you do differently?:

For this race - nothing. For future races, I need to work on my swimming speed in OW.
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

My transition went well. I didn't wear my wetsuit, so that didn't have to be removed. I also didn't already have my shoes on my bike. So in transition, I pulled off my cap and goggles while I ran to transition. Then I rinsed off my feet and slipped on my bike shoes (no socks). Then I put on my helmet and sunglasses, grabbed my bike and started running.

I used a bottle of water to rinse my feet. I should have done like others did and had a bucket of water to step into.
Bike
  • 58m 9s
  • 17.2 miles
  • 17.75 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew going into this race that the swim would be slow and that I would have to make up time on the bike and run. I made up most of that time on the bike. I passed a ton of people on the bike. I didn't have a single person pass me (of course with only about 20 people left in the water behind me, there weren't many people left to pass me). On the way out I went down one hill at 35 mph! That was great, but I knew I was going to have to come back up that hill later (which I was only able to maintain 10 mph for). I saw one person fall on their bike on this hill (didn't have the momentum to keep moving and just fell over). I also saw a couple of people pushing their bikes.

The bike course was a bit scary at points because there were people all over the roads. People weren't keeping to the right side of the road and some were weaving all over the roads (it wasn't a USAT race). It made it very difficult to pass people. I came to a part of the course with a hard right turn. I got stuck behind a guy that came to an almost complete stop before making the turn - which meant I had to stop too! Since it was an out-and-back course, we had to turn around at the halfway point. The turn around was a very tight 180 degree turn right into an uphill. So, I lost most of my momentum in the turn and then had to climb. I lost some time here too. My speed on the course wasn't great, but considering the hills I think I did alright.

I need to do a lot more hillwork!
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

This transition went well. I had to ask someone to move out of my way though. The guy who was racked next to me was already finished with his race. So he was standing in front of my spot while he drank some Gatorade!

I racked my bike, pulled off my helmet and put on my cap, took off my bike shoes and pulled on my running shoes (they had Yankz in them and I wore no socks). Then I grabbed my race number and took off.

Nothing
Run
  • 22m 35s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went well. It was starting to get very warm. We had some shade for about the first half of the dirt roads. But for at least 2 miles, we were in the sun. Someone had set up a sprinkler at about the 2 mile mark which felt good to run through. They had plenty of water on the course (3 water stations). I only stopped at one though. I continued to pass people on the run.

By the end I managed to move from the BOP that I was in after the swim to MOP overall and 6th place for my age group.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

After I crossed the finish line, I met up with my family. Then I got a banana and some Gatorade. We walked around some and watched the other racers come in. I checked on people I knew to see how they did. They were cooking up hamburgers and hotdogs, so after about 30 minutes I ate a hamburger.

They were offering free massages, but I was feeling fine - so decided not to get one.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim!!

Event comments:

This was a well organized race. The organizers did a great job. Everything was orderly and took place on time. I enjoyed the race and will probably do it again next year.

Last updated: 2007-05-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:38 | 600 yards | 03m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/216
Performance: Below average
Avg HR - 169
Suit: None
Course: The course was about 300 yards out, then turn right at buoy for about 25 yards, then another right turn and back about 275 yards.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:58:09 | 17.2 miles | 17.75 mile/hr
Avg HR - 169
Wind: Some
Course: The bike course was an out and back course. We left Woodlake, rode around the outside of the golf course and then turned around and came back. The backside of the course was very hilly.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:35 | 03 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Avg HR - 176
Course: The run course was a loop through the Woodlake community. 2/3 of the course was on dirt roads and the last 1/3 was on asphalt.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-26 7:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Subject: Woodlake Sprint Triathlon

2007-05-27 8:31 AM
in reply to: #818343

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Woodlake Sprint Triathlon

Great race! You did so well in OW, way to oversome your DNF from last time. You will keep getting better and more comfortable with time!

That was a great run!

Sally (runninginaz)

2007-05-28 3:17 PM
in reply to: #818343

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Subject: RE: Woodlake Sprint Triathlon

Even if the swim was a little slower than you thought, it has to be a good confidence builder!! That bike course is tougher than people think. You did great and had an awesome run!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Woodlake Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed