United States
Walla Wall Multisports
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 28m 6s
Overall Rank = 46/190
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/14
Pre-race routine:

I ate a bagel and some orange juice 2 hours before the start. I also had half a power bar 30 minutes before the start. I didn't eat the other half because I quickly realized that power bars are disgusting.
Event warmup:

Just stretching. No biggie.
Swim
  • 24m 27s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

My goal was 25:00, so I guess I'm good at making realistic predictions. I breathed bilaterally most of the way. Navigation wasn't very difficult, but there wasn't much visibility under the water for catching a draft. Every time I tried to draft, I was either a little bit too fast, or the person would kick me away. They must have been able to sense that I was behind them, because a couple people started kicking really crazily when I tried to hop on their feet. So yeah, I didn't draft very much.
What would you do differently?:

Since the field was small, I would probably swim to one side or the other to find a draft. I was typically in the middle with people to my left and right. I could have chased them if I wanted to, I guess.
Transition 1
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

There was a steep uphill from the water to T1, but that's coo'. I felt like I was transitioning very slowly, and I guess I was, but my time was actually pretty good for me.

Eh, nothin'.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 49s
  • 25 miles
  • 19.03 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was 20 mph, but I allow for some wiggle room, because the wind was very strong today. Going into the wind, I averaged 17 mph and was really suffering. Going with the wind, I went about 30 mph for a good portion of the time. It was hard to go fast in the last two miles, because there are speedbumps and tricky turns and stuff. So I lost a little speed at the end too.

I ate some GU every 5 miles. Probably overkill, but I wanted to be ready for a strong run.

Handle the speedbumps better. I'm surprised my bike survived some of them.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Again, not exactly a fast transition, but fast for me.
Run
  • 40m 22s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was a 40:00 10K. Again, it looks like I made a realistic goal. I blame the extra 22 seconds on the race course. The last 0.2 is on this really crappy grass with potholes and stuff, so you can't kick. So yeah they owe me 22 seconds.

Drink more water, maybe. I really had to pee, so I stopped drinking late in the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

I jogged and stretched. Then I hopped back into the lake and swam around for 10 minutes. It was awesome.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual weak bike leg. The wind didn't help either.

Event comments:

Except for a couple of "unfortunate" features (speed bumps, crappy running surface), the course was very nice. The swim was excellent. I want to move to Walla Walla just to swim in that pond. And they barbecued up some burgers for us afterward, so it's a good race in my book.

Last updated: 2007-05-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:27 | 1640 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/14
Overall: 53/190
Performance: Good
Suit: Salamander Suit
Course: 2 clockwise triangular loops in this lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:51
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:49 | 25 miles | 19.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/14
Overall: 83/190
44 minutes on the way out (12.5 mi) 33 minutes on the way back (12.5 mi)
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back on some road. Headwind going out. Tailwind going back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:22 | 06.21 miles | 06m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/14
Overall: 12/190
Mile 1: 6:12 Mile 2: 6:17 Mile 3.1: 6:50 Mile 4: 5:55 (short because of the last split) Mile 5: 6:46 Mile 6: 6:49
Course: Out and back on this dirt path. There were some gentle hills, but they felt like mountains. Several tricky turns too.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-28 1:03 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: Onion Man Triathlon

2007-06-12 1:41 PM
in reply to: #819058

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Subject: RE: Onion Man Triathlon
Hey!  I just saw this, sounds like you had a pretty good race.  That wind was insane on the 'out' and the speedbumps and potholes gave me some concern too!  Talk about a negative bike split - 11 minutes!  Wow!  You were one of those guys I saw grinning after the bike turnaround, I bet!  I hope to actually meet you there next year - we could do our own little Onionman BT get together for 5 minutes before the race - there was one other this year that I know about (racinmason), and I'm hoping to drag a couple more local BT-ers down there next year...   Good job on a fun race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Onion Man Triathlon Rss Feed