General Discussion Race Reports! » Coeur d' Alene Marathon, Half Marathon and 5 K Fun Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Coeur d' Alene Marathon, Half Marathon and 5 K Fun Run - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
United States
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 02m 2s
Overall Rank = 236/345
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 22/23
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:00 AM. Oatmeal, banana and cup of coffee for breakfast, then sipped water and Powerade. Got to race site about 6:30 for 7:00 AM start. Used port-a-potty about 6:40.
Event warmup:

Warm up? The way I see it is I have 13.1 miles to warm up for the second half. I just piled in with the rest of them.
Run
  • 5h 02m 2s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first Marathon.

I went out a bit fast, mile 1 was 9:20. I reigned it in a bit and settled into a good pace and mile 2 came around 19:10 or so. Things went really good through mile 11.

I made a giant mistake at the 12 mile aid station though. My last gel came at the 8 mile aid station and I totally forgot to grab one at mile 12, just water. No need to panic too much, surely I can make it back to the 14 mile station. My split for the half was 2:18, I was thrilled with this!

Came up on the 14 mile station, NO GELS! OH, crap. I need something. The only calories at this station was gatorade. Gatorade does not agree with me so I skipped it, just too more mile till the next station.

The 16 mile aid station was OUT OF GEL! This time I was forced to do the gatorade, I had to have something. Here i was 8 miles from my last intake and I was dragging bad. Gatorade picked me up a bit, enough to make it to 18 miles where I was finally able to get gel.

Now, the wheels started to fall off. The Gatorade was now giving me stomach cramps pretty bad, forcing a fair amount of walking.

I just kept focused on finishing in under 5 hours, knowing I was going to have to limit my walking for that to happen. I ran as much as I could. The last 5 miles where the worst thing I could ever imagine doing.

At about the 26 mile mark I saw my oldest daughter who had started walking out to find me. That was what I needed. She said "you are amazing for doing this dad" and ran alongside of me. I got a little choked up and emotional but managed to not cry (guys dont cry, right). With about 50 yards left she sprinted up ahead to get a finish picture.

What would you do differently?:

Maybe carry my own nutrition, which at one point I had planned on doing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Tried eating a banana and orange and drank a bit of water. The banana and orange did not sit well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Improper nutrition. I went from mile 8 to 18 with nothing. That was about 1:50 with nothing but a cup of gatorade that I knew was going to give me problems.

Event comments:

I think they need to plan a bit more when it comes to the gels. That was brutal. It seems they got more out to those stations because they all had gels on the way back in.

Last updated: 2007-05-09 12:00 AM
Running
05:02:02 | 26.2 miles | 11m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/345
Performance:
AVG HR 147 Z1 0:14:42 Z2 2:03:00 Z3+ 2:43:00
Course: mostly flat with a fairly nasty hill that came about mile 6.5 and again around mile 19.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-05-28 11:50 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Coeur d' Alene Marathon, Half Marathon and 5 K Fun Run

2007-05-28 7:18 PM
in reply to: #819305

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Coeur d' Alene Marathon, Half Marathon and 5 K Fun Run
Congratulations on your first marathon! Awesome, just awesome. Not a dadgum thing that's easy about training for/running one of these things, so way to go. BTW, your time was about identical to what I did my first marathon in. .Keep running and I guarantee you'll get even faster.

c
2007-05-29 9:19 AM
in reply to: #819579

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Coeur d' Alene Marathon, Half Marathon and 5 K Fun Run

Yeah, I learned an aweful lot. Between failing to take nutrition and just not prepared for the suffering that would be had, next time will be much better.

While I fell just short of staying under 5 hours I am happy to have finished!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Coeur d' Alene Marathon, Half Marathon and 5 K Fun Run Rss Feed